Constructive feedback would be awesome.

amandadeanne

Hi and thanks for posting in critiques. I agree that a light touch on post processing would add a lot to this otherwise lovely shot. if you open the photo in your photo file, there should be an "edit" option. sometimes a simple "auto enhance" (icon in iPhone los like a magic wand with 3 stars) will make a nice difference, but you can also scroll through the options in"edit" and find "shadows" and "contrast. Boost either or both just slightly and this will pop a bit more.

I agree that some post-processing would improve this photo. And yes, I could suggest a 'quick fix' for this single photo. I would rather focus on the longer term term and humnly suggest you learn more about exposures (even taken with camera phones) and in-camera/off-camera options to edit photos.

fer iner term and siggesr

As you indicated Amanda. Yes it is washed out. That doesn't make it a bad image. In fact it's a good image that needs a little work.

You said in your post that the only camera you have is the one in your phone. That's probably not a problem. I don't know much about cellphone photography, but cellphones have come a long way since they were first introduced, and so (as I understand it) have the cameras in them. That said, it's still nice to have some kind of editing program on your computer. It doesn't have to be a top of the line one with all kinds of bells and whistles, and a price to match. There're plenty of options. One possibility is Irfanview the website is www.irfanview.com It's basic, but does have some capabilities that other basic programs might not have. It's free, and comes in bot 32 and 64 bit versions. I don't know if it's strictly windows or both windows and apple, but considering the price, it's worth checking the website to find out.

Izzy From Brooklyn

I think the flower in your reworking has lost its “flower-ness” and delicacy. In many post processing programs, I find I can adjust contrast in a more refined manner by not using the actual contrast controls, which can often be crude. I tend to use levels and curves, lighting filters if available. If you’re doing this directly on the phone, try functions other than contrast and mind how “sharp” your highlights become. They’re pretty good in the original, so if your goal is to have the flower stand out more or have more presence, think of other elements in the picture that can help bring out the highlights without actually exaggerating the highlights themselves.
  • Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Snapseed is a very powerful and easy app. I use it on iPhone, but since it is made by Google, I imaging it must be available for Android as well.

Avoid using the filters in the beginning. The "Tune Image" function is a good place to start - play around with the sliders.

And remember "less is more". It is very easy to overdo the processing - however, in the, end it doesn't matter what other people think as long as you like the result.

• Like 2
Niels

in the, end it doesn't matter what other people think as long as you like the result.

I don't buy this. I'd say it might not matter as much whether others like it or not.

if you're confident in your work and you like it, whether others do or not may still be interesting but ultimately may not affect whether you like it yourself.

As to what others think (which is different from like), if you're not yet confident in your work, especially because you're a beginner, it can matter a great deal what others think. What others think, how others respond, can be very helpful in guiding a beginner toward understanding how an outside and objective viewer sees their work. That can be invaluable in letting them know what they're actually communicating, which may be different from what they think they're communicating. It's one of the great things about getting honest critique. One doesn't ask for critique and respond by telling critics "what you think doesn't matter." Of course it matters. Otherwise, why ask. Critique is a tool for learning. If the critic's thoughts don't matter, there's little opportunity to learn.

"You talkin' to me?"

Amanda - GIMP is a free photo processing program for your computer...not as advanced as many others, but sufficient for quick & dirty work. Using my comments above, I reduced the size of the image, applied an automatic color leveling, slight sharpening anf put a border around the shot to constrain one's attention...it took less than a minute. As I said...it is free, so you might give it a try.amanda.thumb.jpg.4f1d2084f9e5ed7653abc86019a9a1bb.jpg
  • Like 1

Just showing an example of very quick editing using the native Mac Photo program, though likely Windows has something similar. You'll never please everyone with any edited photo, but it's easy to play around with a photo on these simple editing programs until you really like it.

Flower-and-Bud.thumb.jpg.11dc2ee697e062bd87da8e87b86ef28a.jpg

Why do I say things...

I don't buy this. I'd say it might not matter as much whether others like it or not.

if you're confident in your work and you like it, whether others do or not may still be interesting but ultimately may not affect whether you like it yourself.

As to what others think (which is different from like), ....

Semantics. In the context of my statement I find it is equally sad if one concern oneself with producing photographs in hope that other people think they are correct or right, or if one is making photos in hope others will like them -- at least if the activity is intended as a enjoyable hobby.

I have many photographs that others would think have flaws in composition or in technical execution, but I like and enjoy them regardless.

Niels

I have many photographs that others would think have flaws in composition or in technical execution, but I like and enjoy them regardless.

Then a reasonable thing for you to do would be not to ask for critique. Sounds like, instead, you’re all set.

"You talkin' to me?"

Then a reasonable thing for you to do would be not to ask for critique. Sounds like, instead, you’re all set.

That's one way of looking at it. Another way is regardless of what the person asking for the critique thinks of that particular piece of work, there's always (or at least most of the time anyway), room for improvement, and a proper critique should offer suggestions to that end.

Izzy From Brooklyn

That's one way of looking at it. Another way is regardless of what the person asking for the critique thinks of that particular piece of work, there's always (or at least most of the time anyway), room for improvement, and a proper critique should offer suggestions to that end.

I agree with you. That’s why I’m in favor of critique and in favor of someone who asks for critique caring about what those who respond have to say. Since Niels has stated the opposite, not caring about what others think, I suggested he not ask for a critique so as not to waste other people’s time.

My point is I don’t think it’s helpful to tell a beginner who’s asked for feedback not to care what others like or think. A beginner can still develop a voice of their own by listening, learning, looking, and keeping an open mind. They will slowly learn to pay attention to and build on what makes sense to them and pay less attention to what doesn’t, even though they might want to consider things that don’t make sense at first as a way to grow in directions they may not have considered. All this takes time and experience, and as I’ll emphasize again, an open mind.

"You talkin' to me?"

I agree with you. That’s why I’m in favor of critique and in favor of someone who asks for critique caring about what those who respond have to say. Since Niels has stated the opposite, not caring about what others think, I suggested he not ask for a critique so as not to waste other people’s time.

My point is I don’t think it’s helpful to tell a beginner who’s asked for feedback not to care what others like or think. A beginner can still develop a voice of their own by listening, learning, looking, and keeping an open mind. They will slowly learn to pay attention to and build on what makes sense to them and pay less attention to what doesn’t, even though they might want to consider things that don’t make sense at first as a way to grow in directions they may not have considered. All this takes time and experience, and as I’ll emphasize again, an open mind.

Good point !

Izzy From Brooklyn