Considering Trade 5D / 1D IIN

ejchem101

<p>I'm trying to weigh my options here, and wouldn't mind some extra input from the forum. I've searched quite a lot but thought I would get some opinions.</p>

<p>I currently am using a 5D and have an option to trade it for a 1D Mark IIN (in good condition). I love the 5D, however, there are a couple of reasons I'm contemplating trading.</p>

<p>My current photography includes just about everything. I do a lot of travel photography (on vacations) that includes hikes, beaches etc. I also do some portraits, just slightly dabbling into senior photos. However, I do quite a lot of sports (to help out the high school I teach at).</p>

<p>I know that the 5D is amazing at portraits, however in the other areas of photography, i'm on the fence. While I have gotten pretty good at timing some sports photos, I know that the AF could be better.</p>

<p>The last reason I am contemplating upgrading is due to the weather sealing. I want to feel slightly more free to take my camera with me on hunting trips (duck hunting, pheasant hunting etc). However with the 5D I'm slightly too worried to take it with me, I think with the weather sealing of the 1D I will be more likely to have it along.</p>

<p>My current lens lineup is the 17-40, 50 1.4 and 70-200 F4.</p>

<p>I do know that FF is something I will miss when it comes to the 17-40, but I always have my trusty A2 I suppose.</p>

<p>I don't mind the extra weight of the 1D. I'm 6'3" and only 27, I figure I better use the bigger camera while i'm strong enough! HAH.</p>

<p>Anyway, Any opinions on this idea? Also please feel free to check out my photos to get an idea of what I like to shoot.</p>

<p>Since the only thing you are going to miss about the 5D is the FF I would go for it. I keep the vertical grip on my 5D 95% of the time which makes it almost as big and as heavy as the 1D II, although for travel I rather have something smaller, lighter and more discrete. </p>

<p>Erik,</p>

<p>I am a 1 series user. I looked at your images and read your post, were it not for your fine ultrawide travel images I would say an unequivocal yes to the trade, just so long as the prices of both are fair. Whilst your reasoning is absolutely spot on are you sure you won't miss that 17-22mm range too much? The lack of Canon ultrawides for the 1.3 crop is what made me give up on them and move to 1Ds's.</p>

<p>On balance, I think, for you and your use, it would still be a good trade, once you experience 1 series cameras it is difficult to go back. For sure the AF will be a revelation over the 5D for your sports work.</p>

<p>I've always thought the 1D was the best of both worlds as far as being cropped for extra telephoto length, but having a larger sensor than APS-C to give a wider FOV and noise handling while maintaining the frame rates the FF cameras can't offer. However, coming from FF, you will sacrafice some on the wide end; that is the only disadvantage to the 1D, that there are no Canon lens options that give an effective FL of less than 19mm (that's with the 14mm). But, there are 3rd party lenses that apparently perform well that are wider and Canon just released an 8-15mm, but its a fisheye. Enough mumbo jumbo about focal lengths, the 1 series AF is enough alone (not to mention other pro features) IMO to switch, but you are giving up sensor size as well as MP's. I wouldn't do an even trade, but I can say as a 1D II user that there is no other camera in the <$1000 range I'd rather have. And in the <$2000 range it would be a 1D III and 1D III only.</p>

<p>I can't say much about any of the 1D series cameras. I've read into them via the web but who hasn't.. All I'm saying is that I considered this same problem a few weeks ago and declined. Still am using my 5D but then again wish I would have traded for my 1D II. Not to rant, just check out my question. If it helps, it helps; if not sorry for wasting your time.<br>

http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00YPMa<br>

NH</p>

<p>Thank you guys for the input. I've decided to pick up a 1D II for $600 and I'm gonna sell my 5D to get some extra cash to put towards a flash or lens. As much as I love the IQ of the 5D and FF, I found that I still love using my lenses on my FF (Film) camera. So to work with the UWA 17-40 I'm just gonna toss it on my A2 for landscapes.</p>

<p>Who knows, by the end of the year I might want my 5D back again, but I doubt it... Too much of my photography involves movement and harsh conditions that I'm sure just the build and AF of the 1D alone will make it a permanent part of the backseat of my truck (and all of the last second opportunities that come with it).</p>