Confused about cleaning up my old negatives (scared).

I know there are threads about cleaning up old negatives, and youtube vids on the subject, but I find some of the "solutions" a tad confusing. Some will tell you to use isopropyl alcohol; a warm water bath with detergent; film cleaner; lighter fuel; rub with a cloth/don't rub with a cloth; clean with your fingers, etc.

The negatives I've acquired are from WW2(!), therefore I'm seeking the one method that will cause the least damage. Some are so grimy, I despair, ha. Here is one of the worst (4, all are of German soldiers). Thank you. Alice. P.S. Am I permitted to post them on my portfolio, or do they have to be photos I took myself? snowsoldiers.thumb.jpg.a58089b0253a08a7d134343329c92671.jpg

• Like 2

I would place them in a bowl of water at room temperature. After about 15 minutes of soaking, I would pick one up and examine it. If solid I would use my fingers to squeegee feeling for caked on grime. If this did not make them squeaky clean, add a few drops of Dawn dish washing detergent to the soak water. when finished, dip in distilled water with a drop or too of Dawn added. Hang with clothes pin by the corner to dry. If soil is not removed, use motion picture cleaner procured from a camera shop or from a dealer on the web.
  • Like 2

Before you attempt any kind of cleaning, I'd make the best possible copies of the negatives, and if possible make sizeable darkroom prints.

It might be less destructive to retouch positive copies, paper or digital, than to attempt any potentially abrasive cleaning methods on a delicate old emulsion.

If you're going to try cleaning, follow instructions from a recognised archiving source, not just some random prat that's posted something on Youtube.

Do not use a cloth or squeegee.

Do not use organic solvents like IPA or methanol. Not unless there are known grease marks or stubborn fingerprints on the emulsion. Even then only after trying gentle air blowing or water-based cleaning methods.

Also, the base material itself may be extremely fragile. Cellulose nitrate base (very flammable and unstable) was still in common use until after WWII.

I'm pretty sure that if you contact the national film archive, or the British museum or similar, they'll be only too glad to offer expert advice.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure they have to be photos you took yourself. A moderator will probably post here to explain.

I would hope, for the purposes of education, that rule could be gently moved out of the way in case it gets damaged. I believe others have posted similarly acquired images in the past without censure.

• Like 2

IMO, irreplaceable negatives should almost never be cleaned. As above, if you do, do the best possible copies you can before doing anything. Some negs react poorly to water based methods and usually stuff embedded in the emulsion isn't going to come off anyway.

This may be useful- Film Cleaning Solvents | Motion Picture Film and it seems naphtha is one of the better choices for oil and grease removal that's easy to get and not too expensive. (yes, the write-up is for motion picture film, but it should apply to most film.)

• Like 1

I haven’t read the site rules, but these photos are likely in the public domain by now, so there wouldn’t be an issue of copyright violations.

If the negatives have value to you, I would suggest you seek professional advice, and don’t rely on random well meaning thoughts from YouTube creators etc.

If you don’t want to spend money on this project, I would suggest you verify any method against the wealth of knowledge you can find on some of the many conservation sites on the web, often associated with respectable universities.

• Like 1
Niels

Here's a link to the US Library of Congress on the handling of old photos and film. Lots of reference sources you might find useful. Good luck.

Care, Handling and Storage of Photographs - Collections Care (Preservation, Library of Congress)

Hi, Alan, plenty of info there. And the link to the Albert and Victoria museum is jolly helpful (I'm in the UK) - the dye transfer process looks awsome! Thank you. Alice.

Alan, is there something special about Dawn dishwashing detergent? I've never heard of it. I guess I live in a place where it's not distributed/sold. (The Internet is like that.)

Dawn is gentle, advertised as the favorite to use on wildlife after an oil spill etc. Any dishwashing detergent will do. Add a few drops to a liter of water for use.

When you get em done, send a link for the images. Fascinating stuff!

I would test cleaning methods on the worst quality one if you have any junk.

I do lots of movie film cleaning. I use fast drying Edwal for some but prefer slow drying Filmrenew.

Vinegar syndrome is the enemy of acetate cine' film...The 3 Graces.

(My photo as well.)

438906868_3gracesvinegarsyndromeD.D.TeoliJr..thumb.jpg.1e182fd7d4ce348c4452b3bd09a2ef86.jpg

Edited by invisibleflash

maddalice, Pictures in your portfolio should be pictures that you have taken yourself. That is why it is called your portfolio. Photo.net has the rule that photos posted have to have been created by the person posting the photos. That eliminates copyright, public domain questions, etc.

Thank you, James, for the clarification.

When you get em done, send a link for the images. Fascinating stuff!

I would test cleaning methods on the worst quality one if you have any junk.

I do lots of movie film cleaning. I use fast drying Edwal for some but prefer slow drying Filmrenew.

Vinegar syndrome is the enemy of acetate cine' film...The 3 Graces.

(My photo as well.)

[ATTACH=full]1330214[/ATTACH]

Hi, I've uploaded them privately on my google photos account. Not sure how to post a link, or even if it's possible to share it(!) Any suggestions where to post them (not on any social media). Thank you. Alice. x

Take a picture of them.....Surely there is some way to introduce them to this site.

Of course - upload them on here(!) Thank you. Here's one I cleaned with baby shampoo diluted in lukewarm water. (the flatness of the negative restricted the amount of manipulation; if I went too far, it resulted in a loss of cohesion). Alice. P.S. Anyone any idea where this is?

618889751_DSC_00061.thumb.jpg.19479efeec5ce98a9e60230d45235955.jpg

• Like 1

Hi, the photo just appears to lack contrast. I opened it in Lightroom and clicked on auto which made a big improvement, I also opened it in Elements and clicked Auto levels this also made an improvement. So what ever your software of choice is it should help you.

This one (my favourite) came out better. Thank you for your advice. Alice.

Newleyweds.thumb.jpg.70b4e1fb190e6b5eaaff8d8e44f40431.jpg

• Like 2