Chinese Drones (DJI) and Chip Makers added to the US Banned List

There are number of companies where the technological advances are largely funded by a government interest in control and oppression. The same companies sell consumer goods which gains a competitive advantage from the afore mentioned tech advances funded by governmental support.

In turn we consumers are supporting the oppressor when buying from these companies.

I would expect we could see more of this if our politicians takes a moral stance on trading rather than a purely economical.

Regarding DJI. I have a inexpensive DJI Osmo 3 mobile for my iPhone. It has the ability to follow a designated subject when video recording.

It is scary good. If I set it to follow me, it follows only me. It is not the least confused when anyone else walks into the image.

This is all in a sub $100 package - I know that this kind of technology is already being abused, but seeing it in my hand is kind of chilling.

Niels

Regarding DJI. I have a inexpensive DJI Osmo 3 mobile for my iPhone. It has the ability to follow a designated subject when video recording.

It is scary good. If I set it to follow me, it follows only me. It is not the least confused when anyone else walks into the image.

This is all in a sub $100 package - I know that this kind of technology is already being abused, but seeing it in my hand is kind of chilling.

wow. Under $100. I had no idea. I was looking at a small DJI at Costco was around $328 don't quote me. But remembered the article and wondered if it would be hard to get parts soon. Under $100 wow

Cheers, Mark

Don't tell your wife about it. :)

• Like 1

From the linked article:

"...The US government also added DJI, one of the world's largest drone manufacturers, to the Entity List, stating that it believed the firm had played a role in human rights violations in China.

The ban does not prevent people from buying DJI drones, but it means the firm will have restrictions placed on the transfer of any technologies from the US..."

All things considered, I don't think this is going forward. under the new administration, nor should it. If China wants to peek at my shots of fall colors from 400' up, should I care?

You may or may not care that milions of Uighurs and other minorities are being suppressed with use of this kind of technology.

Here's a NY Times article if you want to educate yourself.

• Like 1
Niels

I keep looking at the DJI Mini at Costco for $349, then I check if I can fly it here in Arizona, Saguaro National Park, No not allowed in National parks, Tucson Mountain Park, nope that is a PIMA County Park, not allowed there either. Can be flown on BLM land if not operating over designated wilderness/primitive Areas. Can't fly it in so many places. Can't use the video commercially unless you get a pilots license, so YouTube ad revenue is out, even if it were possible to get that many viewers. They sound fun but a bit of a PIA.
Cheers, Mark

All things considered, China..... should I care?

IMO there's a lot to "care about" when it comes to China. Slavery, imprisonment, oppression, minority population discrimination, piracy of intellectual property & technology, infringement upon artists rights, artificial manipulation of international markets and monetary values- just to touch on a couple obvious points.

The list, I'm sure, is long. Not to get too political- OR to "infringe" upon anybody's "freedom" BUT freedom does come with some level of responsibility. Or used to.

At this point in time, everyone, world wide, knows what the Chinese are about. Each of us has to decide what cost we are willing to pay, what we can overlook when it comes to our benefitting at the expense of somebody else. My boycotting Chinese goods has zero real-world economic impact, but it makes me feel better about where my money goes.

I can't tell anyone whether they should care or not, nor am I claiming any sort of moral high ground here, I simply feel like if one wants to see a "better world", one has to start somewhere. Have a nice day.

edit:

I didn't know US drones would fly that far,

The U.S. has indeed been particularly egregious in deploying drone strikes against select targets, well played- totally legit.

• Like 1

The U.S. has indeed been particularly egregious in deploying drone strikes against select targets, well played- totally legit.

Mine aren't armed, but I'm open to suggestions ;)

BTW, I didn't say I didn't care. That was a quote form someone else, which you took out of context.

• Like 1

Although China is being very nasty to Uighars, this administration has no moral high ground to take. Simple trade war hurts the US on balance probably more. It's not like it was with the old USSR. The West didn't need the Russians and they needed us. China is an economic powerhouse and will power ahead whether the US decides to ban a few consumer drones or not. US people could choose not to buy them and buy rivals at (insert value here) the price, but doubt they would. US drone strikes are legally no more "legit" than anyone else's.
  • Like 1
Robin Smith

The Chinese can't steal an industry from the US that the US never had on the consumer level. The Japanese didn't usurp the video recorder industry. RCA gave it up willingly after facing years of litigation brought by the movie and television industry. Success in business often hinges on serving a need which hasn't been met. The Japanese, now Chinese developed a need while they already had the solution in hand.

The Chinese are nasty to any one or any group which opposes their policies. Otherwise anything goes.

• Like 1