Canon Thursday Photo 2011:#32

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by nathangardner, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Important: please keep your image under 700 pixels wide/high for in-line viewing, and please try to keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc).

Are you new to this thread? The general guidelines for these Thursday threads are right here. Remember: only one image each week!​
    A little early again, but 6am isn't far off, so I'd better do it now before I doze off and forget it altogether. Happy Thursday to everyone! I hope your week has gone well and has produced some great photos. I've had a busy week so I didn't get to shoot too much but I did snap off a few shots at a friend's very informal riverside wedding. Here's one of the ring shots.
    00ZAh3-388507584.jpg

2. Wasp feeding her (or his?) baby in a nest in our back garden. A very "interesting" experience trying to photograph the inside of a wasps nest and not one for the faint-hearted that's for sure. 5d and 100 macro.
    rgds,
    james
    00ZAhC-388513584.jpg

3. Nathan-rather nice informal ring shot there.
    James, that shot is amazing-and it gives me the willies just thinking about how it was created.
    Here's one from this past weekend's racing-
    00ZAhR-388523784.jpg

4. This shot is from the Moscow Zoo.
    00ZAhW-388525584.jpg

5. Wow James, not only is it an aesthetically great photo, it is a great documentation of nature.

6. Finally back. Missed the last 2 Canon Thursday's due to me being in Yosemite and San Francisco. Had a good time. A first time for both and they're definitely great places for photography.
    This is from atop Sentinel Dome. By far my favorite place I visited while in Yosemite. Gives you 360 degree views of everything and is just simply amazing. Being not the most physically fit person, I did not enjoy the last stretch up the granite rock to the top. I especially wouldn't want to climb it after a rain, it's somewhat steep. I'm glad I did though, it was more then worth it.
    Camera Canon EOS 7D
    Exposure 0.1 sec (1/10)
    Aperture f/11.0
    Focal Length 14 mm
    ISO Speed 100
    Exposure Bias +1 EV
    Lens Type Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM
    00ZAi3-388539584.jpg

7. I still like to shoot film sometimes so a couple of weeks ago I picked up a near mint Canon Elan 7e body for next to nothing ($35). What a nice, solid feeling but light camera! More comfy on my neck during rugged nature hikes than my EOS 1n. I hooked it up with my old Canon EF 70-210mm f/3.5 USM lens and it makes a nice combo. And if it should take a tumble off a cliff or drop in the lake, no worries. Here is a shot from my first roll of Fuji Superia 400 with this outfit.
    00ZAi8-388541584.jpg

8. Tree figure
    00ZAiF-388543684.jpg

9. Spearhead

Spearhead Moderator

10. @ Randall & Nathan. Thanks. Just dropped a few bigger versions into my Flickr account if you're interested.
    @ Robin. Yikes - spooky. That's the kind of tree I imagine I'd find in Jeff Spirers' backyard :)
    rgds,
    james

11. Last Thursday I drove up the N.J. Turnpike and took the Staten Island ferry to NYC. Once there I walked to and over the Brooklyn Bridge, something I have been wanting to do for a long time. As a teacher of U.S. History, I talk to my students every year about its significance in the industrial age and its construction but I had never stepped foot on it until last week. I did a lot more walking than I did photography but it was still a good day. Here's a shot of the bridge.
    00ZAiY-388551584.jpg

12. Love the shot of the bridge, this was shot with a Rebel T1i, 28mm 1.8 @ F5.6
    00ZAic-388553584.jpg

13. [​IMG]
    350D, 100mm f/2.8 @ f/2.8

14. Another Great Blue Heron shot from me this week.
    00ZAjL-388567584.jpg

15. Vulture outside of Heidelberg, Germany
    00ZAjV-388571584.JPG

16. Busy week so here's one from the past! What stories this could tell.
    00ZAjl-388575584.JPG

17. A shot from a few days spent in Cornwall.
    [​IMG]

18. Didn't get a chance to focus on shooting something this week, and decided to post a shot from last December at Marine Memorial, overlooking the National Mall. In light of the past week's tragic news from Afghanistan I thought is might be appropriate.
    00ZAkC-388577584.JPG

19. Fantastic shot James, I cant imagine how you got that close!
    Mine is from my sons week away sailing, he is just seven and loved the whole experience. My daughter took part for a day, she is four and hopped in the dingy with her uncle no problem, this is them setting off.
    00ZAkv-388585584.jpg

20. Sorry I was unable to comment on last week's photos. There were some really spectacular shots posted. I'll try again for this week.
    What kind of boat, Nathan? And why the beer can? James, love that wasp shot!
    Someone recently asked me if I shot anything besides nature scenes...my answer was, "well, not any good ones". Here's a recent portrait shot of a young man at his 3rd birthday. I played around with it in post but was never really satisfied with the results. His mom loved the shot.
    00ZAkw-388587584.jpg

21. Some awesome photos already this week. I'm recuperating from eye surgery (cataracts). Everything went well. I had the other eye done in March. As soon as I the right one clears and get new glasses I'll be good to go. We're having a home improvement project done (new septic system) that necessitated the removal of some trees. I did what I could on my own, but we needed to call in the professionals for a few of them. A fellow named Chip led the crew and climbed the trees to top them. Of course, I had to grab the camera and document the process. I told him that he had a better view up in the treetops than I ever had in my office. Here's my meager offering for the week.
    EOS 7D
    EF 70-200 f/4L USM @ 172mm
    ISO 400
    1/500 sec., f/7.1
    00ZAlA-388593584.jpg

22. My photo is from a pair of white pelicans few weeks ago (sorry no recent photos).
    Regards, Hadi
    00ZAlN-388595584.jpg

23. A simple gladiola this time. I was trying to photograph a sunflower in the front garden, and found this in bloom, came out better than the sunflower. nice surprise, didn't even know the bulbs were still in there.
    Little crop, couldn't get close enough. Have to buy me a macro lens again..
    (my 50 macro is on permanent loan at my artschool nieces)
    5D2, 28-80 2.8-4.0 L
    00ZAlT-388597584.jpg

24. A few weeks ago we spent the weekend on the North Shore of Lake Superior. We drove around looking to see some sights and we came across this guy climbing a cliff at a wayside rest with what passes for high ground in MN... I think our highest point is 1700 feet or some such.
    The lake below is probably around 35 degrees or so, and the rocks are quite solid, so there is no possibility of a good ending if he were to have a fall! It was a bit breezy and quite chilly w/ the wind off the lake.
    00ZAlX-388599584.jpg

25. Interior of the Hammond River #2 Bridge near Hampton, NB. It was built in 1912 and is still in service today.
    00ZAlb-388601584.jpg

26. Great shots all. I too like the wasp/bee nest.
    Mine this week is from the creek behind the house. A Green Herron popped up from below to perch, sun and preen a little. He was very patient with me and allowed enough time for me to go inside and change lenses. This shot is a mid-scratch thing that appears to have him pondering life.
    I also got my Wacom Bamboo Tablet recently and have been messing with the Nic filter that came with it.
    00ZAlx-388607584.jpg

27. Here's a shot from a few weeks ago. I haven't shot anything for a couple of weeks. Very busy.
    James - great wasp shot!
    David - great vulture shot too!
    Mark - I like the portrait that way it is!
    00ZAmH-388613584.jpg

28. Out for an evening drive and came upon this scene.
    5d Mark II, 24-105 @ 65mm, ISO 160, f8@1/100
    00ZAmR-388617584.jpg

29. At the beach at Popham State Park in Maine.
    00ZAme-388627584.JPG

30. In Indiana we have had a hot spell that is equal to one in 1875. The weather finally cooled off yesterday and this picture does not do justice to the wow factor of the sky. Canon T2i.
    00ZAnW-388637584.jpg

31. Blowing up a balloon
    00ZAnY-388639584.jpg

32. kts

kts

nice one Dick and a great B&W Randall...
    mine is from last night just before sunset
    00ZAo9-388657584.jpg

33. Fantastic images today. That wasp in the nest is awesome!

34. at the jersey shore
    [​IMG]
    XTi

35. [​IMG]

Stockholm, Sweden
    Gear: Canon 500D, EF50mm f/1.8 ll
    Settings: ISO 100, f/5.0, 1/250 sec.

36. Great images everyone ...
    My contribution is another shot from the garden .... A Peach Rose ...

00ZApT-388669584.jpg

37. From The Garden
    [​IMG]
    7D, Sigma 70mm macro, f11 @ 1/30, ISO 200 + macro ring light
    Some LR doping as well; wanted to capture the energy of this emerging flower.
    ME

38. The sun's coronal mass ejection earlier this week produced a spectacular lightshow. When I saw what was happening I quickly grabbed by camera and tripod from my car. Sadly I had misplaced my quick-release plate so I was reduced to bracing on the tripod, shooting semi-handheld. Praise the Engineering Gods for image stabilization. 7D, 17-55/2.8 IS, 3200 iso, 1.3 s
    [​IMG]

39. Tough field to enter.
    00ZAqN-388685684.jpg

40. European Parliament - Strasbourg
    Canon EOS 450D/XSi | Tamron 10-24mm
    F22 | 1/8s | 14mm | ISO 100
    Taken on a Tripod, HDR [-2 ; 0 ; +2] EV

[​IMG]

41. Goldfinch gathering thistle for nesting:
    Canon 7D, 500mm f/4L IS, ISO 800, 1/2000th sec., f/6.3:
    [​IMG]

42. Another from my Canon Photura
    00ZArd-388715584.jpg

43. Last weekend was my first outing with my new EOS 5D, Mark II and I could not have chosen a better subject than the Blue Angels at the Seattle Seafair event. I no longer have 'Image Envy' when I see other photographers' shots of the Blue Angels.
    00ZAsX-388737584.jpg

44. A Fairchild camera from WW ll era. Has a 20 inch focal length (508mm) f/5.6 Bausch and Lomb lens and is made to be hand held as evidenced by the giant handles. Used 8 inch wide roll film. Had a knob for aperture control but nothing for shutter speed. Docent at the museum said his friend has one and has gotten about halfway through a 300 exposure roll and then had a realization that he has no idea how to develop a very long 8 inch wide roll of film. Canon 5D MK2 ISO 3200 Sigma 24-70 1/250 F/2.8 @70mm
    00ZAso-388743584.jpg

45. Great shots this week. I hope to someday see the northern lights in person. Until then, thanks Arie for a great shot!
    My shot is of flowers near some old church in Paris.
    00ZAsq-388747584.jpg

46. Kaitlyn and Vitalij, Practice made perfect.
    00ZAtl-388773584.jpg

47. There are some great photos this week.
    I would love to see the northern lights sometime.
    Here is my flower for this week:
    00ZAuW-388787584.jpg

48. Wattles in flower
    00ZAuc-388789584.jpg

49. I've not been here before, but would like to participate. Some lovely shots, for sure.

50. Mark,
    It was a pontoon, not a big boat or anything, just a few people and a preacher on the family boat. And the beercan, well I guess because a few of 'em get popped throughout the course of the day on the boat.

51. [​IMG]
    Ashley
    Camera: Canon EOS 7D
    Lens: Canon EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    Exposure Program: Manual
    Exposure: 0.006 sec (1/160)
    Aperture: f/20.0
    Focal Length: 17 mm
    ISO Speed: 100
    Exposure Bias: 0 EV
    Flash: Off, Did not fire
    Strobe: Single 200ws strobe with a 16" beauty dish high and slightly camera left. Triggered with a Calumet wireless RF trigger.

52. Sunflower from last night.
    00ZAwa-388831584.JPG

53. Another this week from the water - Wabamun Lake, Alberta with my thirteen year old son Eric.
    James D - Amazing hive photo, are you sure you don't have some National Geographic blood pumping through your veins ;)
    Arie - superb job on the northern lights, brings back some memories.
    *Edit - photo info auto filled on me; should be f/7.1, ISO100, 1/800 sec - not that it matters much
    00ZAxp-388859584.jpg

54. Here is mine - late as usual! It is a corridor in the Vatican shot with a Siigma 8mm F3.5 fisheye
    00ZB0S-388883584.jpg

55. Hi All this is my first post to this thread, after viewing it from some ages now. :eek:)
    [​IMG]
    Canon 1100D, Lens- 70-200mm L ,f/4, 70mm, 1/1000th, ISO -100
    Here is my contribution! Comments and Critiques, Welcomed

56. Here's a shot from the San Diego Zoo this week. Simply amazing performance by these very talented women (and there were men too) from China.
    00ZB4p-388919584.jpg

57. Some of you may have wondered what Lord Admiral Nelson really looks like on top of that iconic Nelson's Column in London's Tragalgar Square.
    00ZB8e-388981584.jpg

58. A shot I took in Blaine. I like the remnants of the old pier. I chose B&W because the colour range overall was very monochromatic. Taken with my 5D, and 17-40 L.
    00ZB9N-388997584.jpg

59. Good Morning All,
    This is my first photo posted on PN. I've always enjoyed looking at this forum. Photo is exudate on the side of a contorted Amanita cokerii. There is a larve squirming around in the large drop towards the bottom. XSI EF-S 60 2.8 F14 .6sec

60. Good Morning All,
    This is my first photo posted on PN. I've always enjoyed looking at this forum. Photo is exudate on the side of a contorted Amanita cokerii. There is a larve squirming around in the large drop towards the bottom. XSI EF-S 60 2.8 F14 .6sec
    00ZBHX-389155584.JPG

61. To Everyone that posted...
    This was one of the " BEST Thursday's" Photo 2011 Show..
    Congrats to All

62. I was out of town so I am late to this party:
    This is a pretty Lake Tahoe sunset at Sunnyside on Tuesday night.
    EOS 7D + 24-70 at 30mm, ISO 400, f/3.2
    (Dean -- you sure know how to make pretty girls even prettier -- talented photographic flattery indeed)
    00ZBhC-389677884.jpg

63. Way late this week, but I see there has been lots of really fine representation. That wasp close up really makes my skin crawl James. Arie's steady hands and IS did catch a wonderful light show indeed. Just starting to go through my captures of a week on the Northern California coast. Here is a little diddy I took in the town of Mendocino, on Thursday.
    00ZBnU-389825584.jpg

64. And, to Lupo's point, DL - that is simply a fantastic composition and exposure. Well done.

65. Wow, how did it get to be Wednesday evening already? Okay, here's my take on a few of the photos that caught my eye (either good or bad) this week...
    @ Nathan - I like the lighting for the ring shot, and focus/DOF is perfect...but the beer can in the background throws me off a bit.
    @ James Dean - Super macro shot of the wasp!
    @ Louis Meluso - I still have my Elan 7e. Haven't put a roll of film through it in quite a while. Nice composition, good colors.
    @ Jeff Spirer - I always find your shots intriguing. They leave me with questions: is she dancing/singing/both? And the mask?
    @ David Huff - Well lit portrait shot of the vulture. Interesting subject.
    @ Hadi Khademi - Twins! The blue sky and cloud background add a nice touch to this one.
    @ Michael Dulac - I like the shot...how would it look with a little more late sun on the barns?
    @ Dick Arnold - Perfect exposure. Nice!
    @ thom polimeros - Love the composition on this shot. The driftwood "seamonster" is slightly distracting; takes my attention away from the couple.
    @ Michael Elenko - Looks like an exploding firework. Good lighting.
    @ Shawn Shawhan - Putting that new 5DII to good work, I see. I have some flight line shots of the Blue Angels but nothing this good!
    @ Pete Ferling - I like everything about this shot. Composition and lighting are nearly perfect. I might have cropped out a bit of the upper part of the shot to get rid of the A/C registers.
    @ Dean Schreuder - Lighting is very nice. Great looking model. Love her expression.
    @ Philip Wilson - Interesting "football" ceiling from that fisheye!
    @ Lupo - Hey, now that's a little different one from you. Colors, exposure, DOF just perfect (as usual).
    @ Laura Weishaupt - welcome to Canon Thursday and your first photo post.
    @ Ken Papai - The colors in this shot give it a very surreal look.
    @ DL Anderson - I really like the bright red mixed in with the yellow and green. Makes me want to sit on that bench for a while to take it all in.
    As a side note, I sure miss Brad's contributions; some of the best street photography I've seen here. Anyone know why he is AWOL? Too busy with the Tenderloin project? I hope he has not fallen ill.
    Thank you all for sharing your photos each week. Such a talented group of folks here! I'm finding my time somewhat limited, so if I didn't comment on your photo this week, don't despair, there's always next Canon Thursday right around the corner.