Canon EXEE "QL"

<p>That body and lenses don't match. The camera had a fixed rear lens group and interchangeable front components of several focal lengths. The lens in the picture appears to be a Canon FD mount with a 2X attached to it. There were only 4 lenses available for that camera, all except the 50mm very hard to come by today. They consisted of 35mm f3.5, 50mm f1.8, 95mm f3.5 and 125mm f3.5. The lens in the picture would fit any Canon body using the FD mount such as;<br /> Canon FTb<br /> Canon TLb<br /> Canon F1 <br /> Canon TX<br /> this is by no means a complete list of bodies with the FD mount but they are common and easy to find used.</p>

<p>I do not know how or why these two different systems are together but the lens pictured will not fit the camera in the picture. </p>

<p>I cannot imagine why Canon bothered to make such a limited camera. If I recall correctly it had a regular roller blind focal plane shutter so I don't think the body would have been any cheaper to make than the FL or FD lens mount series. The front lens components probably would have been a little cheaper to make than the fully interchangeable auto aperture & meter coupled FD mount but not by much. That said, if the camera is still functional and you can use a #675 hearing aid battery to power the meter (the #625 mercury batteries are no longer available) then there is no harm running a roll through it with the already attached lens, probably the 50mm f1.8</p>

<p>Manual is here: http://www.cameramanuals.org/canon_pdf/canon_ex_ee.pdf</p>

<p>http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Canon/Canon-EX-EE-QL.html<br>

suggests it might be worth $100. (But estimated accuracy is low.)</p>

<p>There are plenty of good cameras where Collectiblend says $10 or $20, including many that use FD lenses. </p>

<p>Many companies try to sell lower-end products that won't take away sales from other products. That might have been enough reason to make one with a lens like this. </p>

-- glen

<p>The interchangeable front groups for the Canon EX and EX-EE aren't rare. But many eBay sellers have <strong>ridiculous</strong> ideas about their value -- only bid on a real auction, and bid low. More than about $35 is too much. They are optically compromised by having to use the fixed rear group in the camera.</p>

<p>john robinson said:<br>

<em>The front lens components probably would have been a little cheaper to make than the fully interchangeable auto aperture & meter coupled FD mount but not by much.</em></p>

<p>Perhaps quite a lot cheaper: remember the front groups don't even contain a focus mechanism. I looked this up for the <a href="http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Canon_EXEE">Camera-wiki page about the EXEE</a>. The Canon Camera Museum site gives prices of some of the lenses. The 35mm f/3.5 front group for the EXEE cost 8,000 Yen, and the 95mm f/3.5 cost 11,000 Yen. For comparison, the FD 35mm f/3.5 cost 19500 Yen (a bit later, in 1973) and the FD 100mm f/2.8 cost 27,000 Yen (in 1971). The 125mm f/3.5, only available from 1972, wasn't so cheap: 18,900 Yen, which might be compared to 19,900 Yen for an FD 135mm f/3.5 (in 1971).<em><br /></em><br>

A more elegant way to give the same functions would be a fixed standard-range zoom. However, the FD 35-70mm f/2.8-3.5 (available from 1973) cost 100,000 Yen. The earlier FL series only had the FL 55-135mm f/3.5, costing 49,000 in 1964.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Perhaps quite a lot cheaper: remember the front groups don't even contain a focus mechanism.<br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I suppose, but that tells how much they sell for, not how much they cost to make. They could have a bigger markup on the FD versions, even if the cost to make was the same, and people would by them. I would guess that the economy of scale was less for the EXEE lenses, unless they made a lot more than I would guess. </p>

-- glen

<p>The EXEE was certainly not junk, a bit odd to be sure. It has interchangeable front elements and you could get, apart from the standard 50mm, a 35mm, 90mm and 120mm.<br>

The cameras wasn't cheap and I'm not sure of the marketing of Canon on this one. Unlike many front element changers, the Contafex etc., the Canon has a focal plane shutter and metering that automatically sets the aperture...if it works!<br>

Camera can be used manually though, and has probably the brightest viewfinder of any camera I've sen. </p>