Canon 16-35/2.8 WAS a dog...

charles_mason

Last June I was roundly criticized by the "Canon Is Always Right" zealots here

when I said that the 16-35/2.8 was a dog and needed a redesign. This was the

thread:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00GoTE

Now see:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07022207eos1dmarkiiiaccs.asp

Well it looks like at least Canon agreed with me, even if the zealots here did not.

Always nice to be right...(or at least, for a change)...

Well, I don't know about others but my 16-35L performs just fine. The only issues I've noticed are slight distortion & vignetting at 16mm/f2.8 on the 5D -- but show me any other lens at this price or less that doesn't have those effects when fully open so wide. It just comes with the territory, but also explains why the MkII version has an 82mm thread.

People are entitled to their opinions, of course, but the 16-35L gets bashed a bit too much I think. Probably because of the price. And just because a new one's coming out doesn't mean the old one sucks -- just that the new one is supposed to be better. But then again, I heard that about the new 50mmf/1.2L too. But that lens proved quite disappointing for me, compared the f/1.4.

Just my $0.02...

ALF

ALF,

Your points about a new lens being worse are sensible, of course. But the marketing on this lens is that it is sharper than the current model. I don't know what camera you are using, but even on my old 20D, wide open to at least 5.6, the corners were very unsharp. Now on my 5D it is, of course, even worse. I have access to 7 of these lenses, and they are all the same. I do hope the new lens addresses this problem.

Just my 2C. again, too.

Yep, according to Canon's own MTF curves and the only controlled full frame tests I have seen of the 16-35 vs the 17-40 the 17-40 was quite a bit sharper, specially in the corners.

On top of that there seemed to be a larger number of 'bad lens' reports with the 16-35 than usual.

I guess Canon was starting to loose sales to 3rd party manufactures. Note that the 85/1.2L was updated after a lack luster performance. Perhaps Canon do listen, or perhaps it is just commercial.

Back to the MKII, it does look a lot better in the corners based on the MTF curves, lets just hope that consistantly follows through in manufacture.

I have comparitive MTF plots at the below link for those iterested.

http://www.zen20934.zen.co.uk/photography/MTF_Files/15mm_Region/index.htm

http://www.zen20934.zen.co.uk/photography/MTF_Files/20mm_Region_A/index.htm

http://www.zen20934.zen.co.uk/photography/MTF_Files/24mm_Region_B/index.htm

http://www.zen20934.zen.co.uk/photography/MTF_Files/28mm_Region_B/index.htm

http://www.zen20934.zen.co.uk/photography/MTF_Files/35mm_Region_B/index.htm

What? The 85L has no 3rd party competition. If you meant the 16-35, then yes it has tons of competition. Also, the 85 wasn't updated due to lackluster performance. It was updated to focus faster, ghost/flare less (which wasn't really a problem to begin with) and it was given a circular aperture. The optical formula is the exact same and it's marvelous.

I couldn't disagree more with the original intent (and misguided reading) of the original self-serving "question" posted here by Charles.

Who ever said the 16-35 was a 'dog' beside those with an axe to grind? Take off! Thanks, now go shoot some pictures and quit posting nonsense.

The 16 35 is a good lens and suits most folks, But did not suit my purpose, neither did the 17 40, with close up group shots as we do in restaurants and nightclubs it distorted badly stray lights such as flashing strobes and stage lights caused large amount of flare. I`ve used the Sigma 15 30 for 6yrs which out performed both Canon lenses in all ways for this work except for one thing, reliability. 3 lenses with 4 major repairs one being fixed right now. apart from dropping I`ve never had a canon lens break down.

I`m looking forward for this one, in belief that the new one is an improvement. But again I would not say the old one was bad, in fact with respect I know Ken P will give the opposite story as the 16 35 suits his purpose.

have a great day

OK Charles maybe technically you're right.

First of all who else would post frequently or ardently to the EOS forum except those who love the system?

Secondly, yes, the original 16-35 is not perfect, but it's an excellent L caliber lens worth the dollars and certainly Canon found room for improvement -- but it AIN'T a dog. I've shot 1,000's of images (FF and crop) with my copy of that lens and never complained about lack of IQ out of that glass.

"Well it looks like at least Canon agreed with me, even if the zealots here did not.

Always nice to be right...(or at least, for a change)..."

Good for you, I am sure that your photos will improve immensely with the new lens. I am sure that the quality of the photos you took with the 16-35 was poor due to the poor quality of the lens, not because of your own limitations as a photographer.

I suggest you keep sending your wisdom the Canon way, perhaps they will keep listening to you and improve all their dog lenses; we would benefit a lot I am sure.

Ha, a lot of resistance here... Charles, you were right, the 16-35 needed improvement for some usesr's criteria. Not that it wasn't pretty great, but I chose the 17-40 because it's sharper on the wide end, and I didn't need the 2.8 speed, for which the 16-35 excelled. Now that a mk II 16-35 with better corner sharpness will probably materialize, I'll be upgrading.

"Ha, a lot of resistance here... Charles, you were right, the 16-35 needed improvement for some usesr's criteria. Not that it wasn't pretty great, but I chose the 17-40 because it's sharper on the wide end, and I didn't need the 2.8 speed, for which the 16-35 excelled. Now that a mk II 16-35 with better corner sharpness will probably materialize, I'll be upgrading."

Yes that is my feeling. There is always an group of folks that hate you if you don't think one of their lenses is the best thing since sliced bread.

Charles, I`m interested to know what type of photo work the 16 35 has failed you so badly? Is it both film and digital, I would expect maybe a lil loss in corners of FF digital because of the flat sensor, I`ve never heard of it being this bad from any other sourse.