Can the airlines force you to check you camera gear?

marc_felber1

<p>I had a problem with a airline that try to have me check in my camera gear. I had to had carry all my glass since this is what they would have stolen if I had check it in with the bag. Can you force the airline to allow you to carry on your camera gear since they are not liable for stolen camera gear. American eagle has a no carry on policy. But carried one gear many times until this one agent started acting like a nazi that demanded I check in my camera gear. How do you solve this problem?<br>

1. have the airline sign a legal document making them liable if the item is lost, stolen, or broken on arrival.<br>

2. use a smaller bag<br>

3. don't fly<br>

4. demand to speak to a manager and explain the rules to him that is listed on your ticket the airline is not liable for camera gear. <br>

5. Anymore info you wish to add?</p>

<p>"And don't expect things like #1 and #4 in your list."<br />In fact, not to gang up on the OP... read the ticket, website, etc.: all of the legleze absolves the airline of loss, damage, spindling and mutilation.</p>

<p>Choose option 3, or fly a bigger airline!</p>

<p>Re: #5. The United Express (who fly CRJs and the like) allows me to carry on my camera bag as long as I cram it under the seat in front of me. I travel light so that is never an issue.</p>

<p>mark,<br>

it pays to be extremely polite. do not demand but politely ask if they would do you a kind favour. if it is within their policy they would of course oblige and if it is not, they are rather more likely to oblige a polite request.</p>

<p>Number 3 is increasingly the best option, and not just because of the risk to camera equipment. Unfortunately, that isn't always possible.</p>

<p>Has anyone tried Option 6, bypassing the airlines (and the TSA) entirely by FedExing camera gear to and from the destination? It's probably expensive, but (if money is no object) is it reliable and practical enough to consider?</p>

<p>[OP] "American eagle has a no carry on policy"</p>

<p>That is untrue. Check here:</p>

<p>http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?p=/travelInformation/baggage/baggageAllowance.jsp</p>

<p> and here:</p>

<p>http://www.cheapflights.com/airlines/American-Eagle/</p>

<p>When in doubt, call to talk with a rep <em>weeks before your flight</em> , and they will answer your questions and often even meet you at the gate should you have a problem. I had a SW rep pack and Fed Ex my 200 rolls of film to my hotel for free when I had a TSA problem after talking with her and being assured there would be no problem.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I chose #3 a long time ago. X-rays, inspectors, shoe removal, whole body thermal imaging. I think they have gone nuts.</p>

<p>Years ago flying was a class act. Today it is nothing more than a flying bus and I refuse to board. I feel sorry for the people who need to travel that way.</p>

<p>For the 30 days after 9/11 the skies almost immediately turned azure blue over Chicago and stayed that way. I was showing my work collegues how clear it was. They all agreed. So 4000 airplanes, which is the average number in the air at any given time, have created noticeable air polution to the point where it looks like we are in the middle of a dirty cloud. And yes it got filthy again as soon as they started flying and the azure blue has not come back except for a scattered day or two after a series of storms to clean the air.<br>

To bad we can`t repeat the experiment and then shut `em all down so we can breath clean air.</p>

<p>I will not even type the insulting BS the the EPA gave me about the situation. I will tell you people with scientific methods of documenting the events were making a stink to EPA. </p>

<p>What kind of gear, how many, and how heavy? I can't imagine if you only have a D40x, the 18-55 kit lens and maybe a small flash, they'd raise an issue? That's another story if you have two D3's, a 600/4 lens and various fast f/2.8 zooms. The airline's website usually has a section on the weight and dimension limitation on your carry-on baggage, so it's worthwhile to check it out and make sure your stuff is within the limits before you arrive at the airport.</p>

<p>The only time I have been asked to check equipment was on a small commuter plane. The equipment was put directly into the hold as I was standing there and out the same way. Other times, there are planes that will not accomodate normal size roll-ons and so my bags are kept smaller and fit. On another commuter flight, slightly larger than the 6 seater I mentioned above, I was just very nice and honest with the crew as to what I was carrying and they let me seat belt it into an empty seat(empties are a lot less likely these days!)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>How big was the bag you tried to carry on- and did it comply with their policy since they clearly have one?</p>

<p>Don't get deluded about the balance of power. The idea you pose in No. 1 is ridiculous. Which individual is going to sign that and would they be deemed to have the authority to bind their employer to it? In general around the edges of policy the airline can tell you what they want you to do and quite simply deny you boarding if you don't comply. If afterwards you demonstrate that the individual has acted unreasonably , you've still missed your flight, and when the circumstances become apparent your travel insurer won't pay out for a replacement flight or any consequential loss ( charges for accommodation, car hire etc)</p>

<p>Airlines assume that the items they carry are covered by your insurance. If you travel with photo gear that is not so covered then I think you need to re-assess. It is perfectly possible for airlines to re-assess that policy but they won't because it would mean fares going up. Fact is you need to insure anyway against perils that are not part of air travel. </p>

<p>Did you try your number 4 and did it work? </p>

<p>It is up to you to find out the policies used by your airline and also those operated by TSA. And to comply with them or carry the risk and inconvenience if you should fail. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Until recently I flew nationally every week. The answer is quite simple, they can do what ever they want and will. However, each airline has carry-on guidelines, as long as my carry-on was within their size limitations, they never asked me to check my bags. </p>

<p>On a very small plane I was once asked to put my case in the body of the plane which I did not want to do. I politely explained that it was full of glass and they immediately said that it was OK to keep it with me. The last thing they want is a claim.</p>

<p>Flying used to be such a dream. Today, it is simply a bus in the sky. What a shame. The golden age of air travel is lost.</p>

<p>According to TSA you are allowed to carrying camera gear on in additional to the one carry on and one personal item. Also, if AA eagle has a no carry on policy, then why are their overhead bins on the right side of the plane. Also, the bag I was carrying was a backpack that is had plently of room in it. American told me the same thing in May and told time they were going to be responsible if any of the camera gear was stolen so they let me take it on the plane. </p>

<p>Marc,<br>

You are a paying customer in a nearly free market. If you don't like the service the airline of you choice provides, choose another one. Send the customer service department a written complaint outlining the areas in which you feel their business is lacking and your intention to go with a better class of service. Airlines and their employees aren't special, without customers they have to file chapter 11 and get bailed out by the taxpayers...just like everybody else.</p>

<p>You could fly southwest which is a bigger plane and they will not give you a hassle if you take a think tank bag on. Also, I have heard that art morris tricks the bag police by sticking the small lens in his vest which makes his carry ons lighter. Great ideal, which I think he puts the big glass in the carry on which does not make him stand out. They have never said anything about the tripod bag as long as the tripod is in a case they will not hassle you. Thats what a TSA person told me. You don't stick out as a threat when the tripods are in a case. The monopod is a different story is like a club and they might think you can use as a weapon and will force you to check it. I check the aircraft type southwest airlines seems like the better option if you traveling with gear. For Travel to South America I would take Lan since they never say any thing if you are a lan pass member they will give you more slack on the weight. I never been charged for over weight by them even flying out of SCL to san pedro. </p>

<p>I fly all the time with 3 bodies, 6-7 lenses, flashes etc. Never had a problem with carry on. I use a Domke bag which is quite small compared to some of the huge over-built stuff out there.<br>

Tons of shooters have gone to the Think Tank bags, which are constructed specifically for carry on, but they are expensive.</p>

<p>I know where you are coming from. I recently flew American Eagle (never flown on the small planes before) and I was surprised to find that my bag that fits perfectly in the overhead compartment of a regular jet won't even come close to fitting anywhere in an ATR. I ended up having to do the gate check--along with everyone else who had their roller bags with them. I got my bag back OK, but I was worried throughout the whole flight. My solution from now on is to just pack smaller when I'm going to be flying a smaller plane. I was only gone for a weekend and I was trying to fly with no checked baggage so I wouldn't have to wait at baggage claim. In the future, I'm just going to check all the regular baggage and carry a couple of smaller carry-ons for the laptop and photo equipment. Where you may have gotten confused (I know I did) is that American Eagle considers gate checking TO BE carry-on.</p>

<p>As far as forcing you to check a bag, if it's larger than their maximum dimensions for carry-on or if you are carrying an item that is prohibited from carry-on then they can force you to check it. But if you have a carry-on that is within their guidelines then I would politely remind them that their written policy states that you can carry it on. It helps if you have a printed copy of their policy with you--it has saved me and some of my friends a time or two.</p>

<p>I fly American Eagle pretty frequently. Because they are smaller planes, its not unusual to have to put a bag under the plane (I will only carry my laptop bag on with me generally). When this happens, you can do a gate check where you hand them the bag right before you board the plane, and it is waiting for you right outside the plane when you get off. That way you can still carry it onto a larger connecting flight. The other word of advice is above all else, be polite. I travel pretty frequently across the country and internationally. I have learned from a lot of experiance that a little bit of patience and courtesy can go a very long way with agents and help you get what you want/need. Just be ready to work with them.</p>

<p >My son and are back from a trip where we were flying. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >I used a Lowepro Vertex 200 and my son used a Tamarac Expedition 6X.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >We tried to carry them on. My sons being a bit smaller was allowed as carry on one leg of the trip where we had a puddle jumper. It fit. Mine on the other hand was a bit larger. It would fit on the overhead in an Airbus A319 and A320. But it was definitely too large to fit in overhead on the puddle jumpers. I did not have to check in as carry on but handed in and returned to me just before and after boarding. I expected that, but safer than checking it in as baggage. </p>

<p >Photos were backed up on a laptop which of course was carry on, and, our memory cards were kept in our pockets. So, if something happened to the cameras, we still had our photos.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >The Lowepro is made extremely well. My only complaint is that you cannot lock the main compartment securely. The zipper on my laptop is lockable as the zipper is designed for that, but the Lowepro is not. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >On my last flight on a puddle jumper it was announced that toy should remove all lithium batteries from the cameras or bags and be on your person. We were not aware of that TSA rule, and scrambled to get the batteries in our pockets minutes before boarding.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I think it best to understand the rules of flying as much as possible. Although I doubt this is possible. It is just best to go along with TSA and airline staff and keep things moving smoothly.</p>

<p>I travel quite a bit and have had several bad experiences with the airlines. I now ship all of my photo gear via UPS. It may be a bit expensive, but everything is insured and waiting for me when I arrive at my destination.</p>