Buying a new/unused Nikon film scanner

Discussion in 'Film and Processing' started by ray ., Oct 30, 2018.

1. I'm seeing a few Nikon scanners available advertised as new. Since there are return options on them, I'm thinking of taking a chance on one.

Would there likely be any issues with a new scanner that's been sitting in a box for several years?

Does anyone know what the release dates were on various models of Nikon scanners, such as the LS-5000 and 5 ED, etc?

2. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Moderator Staff Member

I bought an older one in very good condition several years ago but have been unable to get it working due to hardware / software issues. Be certain that you have what you need to get it running!

3. Many old scanners need old OS and sometimes old hardware, like SCSI.

I have some scanners that need Windows XP, and so a computer with XP to run them from.
    Some you can use a virtualized XP system, but I found a low cost computer and someone
    selling XP to go with it.

I have a ScanDual II, III, and IV, and also a Pakon F135, all of which run USB on XP.

Many used scanners don't come with software, which you can sometimes find where to
    download on a web site somewhere.

My latest, which I got from Goodwill, is a Wolverine 35mm negative and slide scanner.
    It isn't especially high resolution, but usually good enough for screen images, is pretty
    fast, and writes to SD cards. Then transfer the files to a computer from SD.
    I believe it uses a cell-phone style imaging chip, instead of the linear CCD array
    usually used on scanners.

4. glen_h, I'm using a Nikon LS-40 scanner (that I may replace) with an iMac on OS 10.13.1…… Should be OK with another Nikon scanner if I go that route. I use VueScan for the scanner software.

5. Some years ago, I had a working LS-1000, even with the auto slide feeder.

The feeder jammed about every other slide, which made it about as much work
    as loading without the feeder. It has a SCSI interface, though I forget now
    which OS it uses.

Not so much later, I got the ScanDual which usually works well, but isn't fast.

Does ViewScan work with many older scanners on new computers?

6. I'm using an older version of VueScan- 9.5.32. Haven't bothered and also hesitant to update to a newer version, since it does the job. It works fine on my 5 year old Mac with the OS I mentioned above.

7. I'm quite interested in this question myself. I bought a new Nikon Coolscan V in 2008 just around the time that the discontinuation was announced (or expected or something), and it has actually sat in its box ever since. I took it out maybe twice for a couple of minutes just to check it out. It's never been connected to computer or the mains power supply. I will finally get around to scanning all my film...

I was actually wondering if there is any lubricant or anything inside that could have hardened up over the years. I don't really know what's inside these things.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  8. Gosh, I haven't used my Coolscan IV in a long time. I bought it in 2003 and by 2007 it wouldn't work with Nikon Scan anymore. The software wouldn't recognize the scanner attached to the computer. I bought forever-updates of VueScan but have only used it for flatbed scanning the last couple computer upgrades.

9. - There are generally two transport mechanisms in a film scanner. One to coarsely feed or advance the film/slide into position, and another to finely step the film or a mirror to do the actual scan. Both of these need different grades of lubrication to work smoothly. So, yes, hardening or evaporation of lubricants is entirely possible through time alone, but I think wear and loss of lubrication through usage is much more likely to cause issues. 'Hardened' grease will likely quickly soften with use, whereas lubricant lost through use isn't ever going to replace itself.

10. Forget it. No service, no support, no parts, no current OS=no dice. Get a new Epson that can handle negs or look into DSLR scanning.

11. The Coolscan V is a great scanner, and USB too. Nikon no longer supports it, but Vuescan can talk to it pretty well. I still use it.