broken Nikon F4

shaliblok

Hello!

I just bought an quite new Nikon F4. all seemed to work good until I got home aaand my camera was using 6 photos per click without even opening the shutter. when I opened the camera I was told that the 2 most right winders both should move when I take a photo, and only the most right one does. this is a problem that keeps coming back and I want to fix it. do you guys know the problem?

Hope to hear from you soon!

I'm not sure if I follow "6 photos per click."

The F4 is an "auto loading" camera, and the first time you press the shutter button after loading the film, it will SOUND like it's taking a couple of photos in rapid succession as it pulls the leader onto the take-up spool and gets the first frame into position. After this, it should operate normally.

Because every time you open the back and reset the counter, it reverts to "loading" mode, it's normally difficult to physically observe the shutter opening and closing. I suspect, but can't confirm, that if you jammed counter reset tab in with the back open you could do so, but otherwise it's going to continuously go back to load mode.

Otherwise, you can probably watch the shutter opening by locking the mirror up and looking through the front of the camera(a flashlight can help). The mirror moves fast enough under normal operation that it would be difficult to see the shutter open and close at the higher shutter speeds.

I've never actually observed one of mine with the back open, but I would be surprised if anything other than the take up spool is actually motorized during advance. Other parts may turn, but they are "along for the ride" so to speak.

I'm not sure if I follow "6 photos per click."

The F4 is an "auto loading" camera, and the first time you press the shutter button after loading the film, it will SOUND like it's taking a couple of photos in rapid succession as it pulls the leader onto the take-up spool and gets the first frame into position. After this, it should operate normally.

thanks for the reply sir. Indeed: it sounds like it's taking photo's. but after it does that, the frame count (and you also can hear that) goes from 0-30 in just four or five shots. I found out that the shutter does move, so that thing might refer to the shutter mode. When I hold my hand in front of those little sensors ( the things that say 'the back is closed you can take photo's now') the winder is still not working. the camera functions perfectly (lights and battery and stuff) but it keeps making 6/7 images every time.

thanks for the reply sir. Indeed: it sounds like it's taking photo's. but after it does that, the frame count (and you also can hear that) goes from 0-30 in just four or five shots. I found out that the shutter does move, so that thing might refer to the shutter mode. When I hold my hand in front of those little sensors ( the things that say 'the back is closed you can take photo's now') the winder is still not working. the camera functions perfectly (lights and battery and stuff) but it keeps making 6/7 images every time.

Out of curiosity, what advance mode to you have the camera set to?(it's set via the collar around the shutter button, S, CH, CL, and CS). The F4 isn't exactly a speed demon by modern standards, but at the same time it's easy to fire off a few shots on CH if you dally on the shutter button. As is my usual practice, I leave it set to "S" unless I have a good reason to do otherwise.

Out of curiosity, what advance mode to you have the camera set to?(it's set via the collar around the shutter button, S, CH, CL, and CS). The F4 isn't exactly a speed demon by modern standards, but at the same time it's easy to fire off a few shots on CH if you dally on the shutter button. As is my usual practice, I leave it set to "S" unless I have a good reason to do otherwise.

S it is! I've tried it on different modes, but now it's S