Blinking Err message on LCD and viewfinder with Nikon N80

n._scribner

I just purchased a used Nikon N80 on eBay and have run into a problem. When I loaded my first roll of film everything seemed to be

working normally. But after I tried taking my first picture the viewfinder went black and "Err" started flashing on my LCD and in my

viewfinder. After searching online for this problem I read you should take out the batteries, wait 30 minutes, and do a two-button reset. I

did all of those things, but nothing happened when I tried doing the two-button reset. It just kept blinking "Err." Does anyone know what I

should do? Is the camera supposed to be on or off when doing the two-button reset, or does it not matter? I tried doing it with the camera

both on and off. Thanks to anyone who can help.

<p>Try taking off your lens and cleaning the contacts on it and then putting it back on securely, and also "lock" the lens at the smallest aperture if it has one of those little aperture locking tabs. The problem happened once to me, and that solved it.</p>

<p>I just looked at the owner's manual - you're right on the message. In case you don't have a manual you can get a copy at www.butkus.org. Under the troubleshooting section it suggests 4 potential user correctable issues which could cause the Err msg to blink:</p>

<p>1) (Err + partial battery blink) - batteries exhausted during rewind<br>

2) (Err + DX blink) - speed set to DX with non-DX coded film loaded<br>

3) (Err + E) - film not advancing properly<br>

4) (Err) - try to release shutter a 2nd time, possibly replace batteries/reset</p>

<p>Hopefully one of these can help you resolve your issue so you don't have to send it to a Nikon repair center or return it to the seller.</p>

<p>I'm getting a blinking "Err" message on the LCD and a blinking "Err" message in the viewfinder. Releasing the shutter seems to stop displaying the message briefly (and even advances the exposure number on the LCD and viewfinder); but then the viewfinder goes black and when I press another button the same "Err" message displays. When I try to do a reset (pressing the Exposure Compensation and Bracket button at the same time--the two buttons denoted with a green dot) nothing happens.</p>

<p>Do you have a set of new batteries for it?</p>

<p>If they are just on the verge of depletion, they will become exhausted when the film is advanced or shutter released. The viewfinder will go dark when there is not enough battery power so that indicates a battery problem as well.</p>

<p>Just having them in the camera for months without use will drain them. So unless you put in new batteries yourself I think that's the most likely culprit. You need two CR123 batteries unless you have a grip on it. The grip uses AA batteries.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It doesn't sound good.<br /> You could remove the film, take off the lens, set the camera in manual mode and set shutter speed to bulb. Then you can watch what the camera does or doesn't do by looking straight into the lens mount.</p>

<p>PS. If you don't have the manual for the camera you can download it on Nikon's site: <br /> http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/archive/N80-N80QD.pdf</p>

<blockquote>

<p>When I loaded my first roll of film everything seemed to be working normally. But after I tried taking my first picture the viewfinder went black and "Err" started flashing on my LCD and in my viewfinder.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It sound like a film loading problem. Open the back and look at the film. You will lose the first couple of frames, After you correct the problem, load the film and advance past the first three or four frames i.e. just click the shutter three or four time.</p>

<p> </p>