Best Monitor for Digital Photography

<p>I am considering buying a monitor Apple Cinema Display 30". In all honesty, I wouldn't consider this size and prize if it werent' because the smaller sizes are no longer sold in mate finish.<br>

Before, I owned a Cinema Display 20" and it was almost perfect except that it was too small. Then I bought a 24" imac and I really don't like the glossy finish screen and the colors/brightness didn't look right so I ended up installing some freeware (I think it is called Shades) to fix it and it did. Since the prints turned out the way I saw the images in the monitor.<br>

The reason why I am considering a new monitor is because I want to upgrade to a Macbook Pro and therfore I need a new monitor but again, I think Apple is just ripping people off with those prices for such an old monitor.<br>

Could you please recommend a monitor that is maybe as good as or better than the 30" (mate finish) Apple Cinema Display but at a much better price?</p>

<p>Thank you in advance.</p>

<p>Alejandro</p>

<p>Unless you want to get into bleeding edge state-of-the-art displays, the best alternative, in my opinion, is to check out the Dell Ultrasharps. At one time (I don't know about the present) they were made by the same OEM supplier as the Apple displays and were reputed to be essentially identical except the Dell versions had a better warranty, better I/O package and were less expensive.<br>

The Dell displays usually need some calibration out of the box and are too bright. I use the 24" Ultrasharps with my Mac Pro in a dual display setup and they work well.</p>

<p>Eizos are supposed to be the best, but they are very exepensive. I have an old cluncker Circa 2004 CRT that came with my Dell computer. The only problem I have with matching colors on the screen with my printer is with purple colors, they come out redish looking.<br>

I usually have to use a "select tool" in photoshop to sample all the purple colors in my image, then I add blue to make it darker. When I do this the colors on my monitor match the colors on my prints pretty much. <br>

Well it's either that, or purcahsing an "Eizo", which start at about $850 for the cheapest model. </p>

<p>Any of the NEC SpectraView’s with their software and mated colorimeter will provide all the bells and whistles of an Eizo (maybe a few more) at far less money. </p>

<p>For many, the HP Dreamcolor has been a nightmare of a product (support and software issues). Pass. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)