Beseler (Cadet?) 3500 worth a gamble?

Hi forum,

I'm keen to start doing my own enlarging at some point. I shoot mainly 35mm film but also have a 6x6 camera and a 6x9 which I hardly use because of the difficulty in getting scans done. With 35mm negs, I'd like to be able to print images as large as 8x10". Options for enlargers are pretty limited here in Brazil and I'm on a budget. I've seen what I think is a Beseler Cadet enlarger for sale for a low price (about US$73). I haven't yet started asking the seller questions (and the seller seems not to know anything about photography), but I wonder if anyone here can identify the model and give an opinion and things to look out for? It has a 50mm lens so i guess it's for 35mm film. It seems to be missing its base and mounting bracket (hard to replace?). I'll paste the available photos of it below.

Thanks a lot!

ampliador-de-foto-de-fole-fotografico-antigofoto-D_NQ_NP_9703-MLB20020338458_122013-F.webp

ampliador-de-foto-de-fole-fotografico-antigofoto-D_NQ_NP_9753-MLB20020340063_122013-F.webp

ampliador-de-foto-de-fole-fotografico-antigofoto-D_NQ_NP_9750-MLB20020339390_122013-F.webp

This is an adequate, if not great enlarger for 35 mm negatives. Be sure that it has a negative carrier before you buy it. If it has the stock lens, you might want to replace that with something better. Fortunately the lens board should have the standard 39 mm thread that most modern enlarging lenses have. You would want a 75 or 80 mm lens for 6x6 negatives.
  • Like 1

To the best of my knowledge, this only for 35 mm negatives, not larger sizes. If you can find one and can afford it I would try to find a Beseler 23C instead. It is a much sturdier enlarger and parts should be available on eBay since it was a popular model and made for a long time.
  • Like 1

Thanks AJG. I wrote to the seller, he can offer me almost no information and without the mounting bracket I think the machine may be fairly useless. So I think that I'll give this enlarger a miss. There's no Beseler 23C on the offing at the moment, unfortunately, but i'll keep that in mind. There is a cheap Fuji S69 enlarger available, which is fairly complete with holders for 35mm as well as 6x6 and 6x9. It has 2 lens, a 50mm and another unspecified lenses. Both have some fungus, apparently. I've asked if the seller knows the thread diameter of the lens, as I may need to change the lens as you suggest. Do you, or anyone else here, know anything please about the Fuji S69?

All the best!

Though it would be easy to improvise a base, you are wise to pass on this one. After I saw your post I looked online. There are some Besslers for sale - one nice looking one for $75 - your location and shipping is an issue though. I'd wait for one in good shape that is close - maybe close enough for you to pick it up.

and without the mounting bracket

There was a post recently about this sort of issue.

Before buying anything complex, always confirm that it is all there.

Another issue for things like enlargers is to confirm what the shipping charges will be, as Sandy says. I once saw an entire darkroom setup for sale for nearly nothing, but the shipping was astronomical.

Though it would be easy to improvise a base, you are wise to pass on this one. After I saw your post I looked online. There are some Besslers for sale - one nice looking one for $75 - your location and shipping is an issue though. I'd wait for one in good shape that is close - maybe close enough for you to pick it up.

No bargains here, unfortunately, as it's a tiny market for this sort of thing. Importation is complicated too so I definitely want to purchase locally even with the higher prices.

I showed the Beseler pictures to someone via email and they thought that the 34mm holder is present. I may still look into finding a mount for it - as i like the look of the build quality - though I'm pretty hopeless at these sorts of projects.... I'll try and look for the thread that JDMvW mentioned...

Edited by Xícara de Café

An enlarger is basically used for long time exposures, so construction and mounting, etc. are very important if you are going to get sharp prints. It is possible to add support from the top of the column to a wall to help with this--I anchored the top of a slightly less than rigid Omega D-2 to the wall behind it and it helped a lot. If you have a permanent location for this you can mount the enlarger to the wall at the base as well. This can help to make up for a less than ideal enlarger if that is all you can find where you live. Good luck!
  • Like 1

Thanks again - and if you don't mind me extending this thread for a bit more.... :

I've found 3 other options. 1) A "Fuji S69", which seems to have been produced under this name for the Brazilian market 2) a Meopta Opemus 6 Standard which does seem to offer a very sturdy looking mount (and possibly a swivelling head for wall projection?) and 3) An unnamed enlarger that looks in excellent condition and also sturdy (i will ask the seller the name and model). I'll paste 3 photos, the first is not of the actual Fuji enlarger on sale (which is the cheapest on offer and does 35mm, 6x6 and 6x9) but shows its construction better. The one on sale is much dirtier looking but much more affordable.

I wonder what your opinion is on these? :

ampliador-pb-fuji-s69-com-objetiva-original-fujinon-50mm-D_NQ_NP_869599-MLB28193283863_092018-F.webp

ampliador-meopta-opemus-6-standard-com-lente-sem-lmpada-D_NQ_NP_690672-MLB26930601186_022018-F.webp

ampliador-fotografico-preto-e-branco-com-lente-D_NQ_NP_714294-MLB27234858942_042018-F.webp

Thank you!

Cadet is a name usually used for the introductory model, and those are (were when they made them) usually 35mm only.

The enlarger I have now, an Omega B-22, I got free not so many years ago, and it came without a base.

The place in my darkroom, built by the previous house owner, where an enlarger goes is made of 3/4 inch plywood.

I drilled holes and screwed it down to the plywood. You do need the bracket with mounting holes, though.

In the US, there are enough people giving up on darkroom work that it is usually pretty easy

(if you aren't in a big hurry) to get enough parts for a darkroom.

We have craigslist and freecycle, which I have used for building up my darkroom.

I suspect that shipping from another country will be too expensive, but maybe you can find

someone closer, maybe even so you can pick it up.

I also see enlargers often enough at Goodwill stores, though often without important

parts such as the negative carrier. As noted above, that is one that you especially

want to ask about.

You will also need trays, which can be expensive new. A timer is nice, too.

I have both kitchen style measuring cups and lab style graduated cylinders for

measuring chemicals. A fairly accurate thermometer is nice, too.

-- glen

Any working enlarger that appears well manufactured and that will accept the films you want to enlarge will do the trick. It needs to be sturdy, working in all respects and have a decent lens. Unless extreme, dirty shouldn't be an issue, except in respect to the lens, since it can be cleaned. From the time I was a boy, till early 20's I used a very inexpensive Yankee model - I did get a slightly better lens for it , but it produced adequate prints up to 11x14. The difference between quality items and junky ones is apparent - go with your instincts and have fun with it. Don't worry about trays, cat litter pans work well, if you can't find one otherwise, stores that sell agricultural chemicals have good measuring cups, though you can make do with a large one which was intended for kitchen work. You will need an enlarging timer, but there are plenty online, some modestly priced, all shippable. Improve your early success by getting hold of a grain focusing scope - a variety available online - inexpensive but essential.
  • Like 1

Thanks again - and if you don't mind me extending this thread for a bit more.... :

I've found 3 other options. 1) A "Fuji S69", which seems to have been produced under this name for the Brazilian market 2) a Meopta Opemus 6 Standard which does seem to offer a very sturdy looking mount (and possibly a swivelling head for wall projection?) and 3) An unnamed enlarger that looks in excellent condition and also sturdy (i will ask the seller the name and model). I'll paste 3 photos, the first is not of the actual Fuji enlarger on sale (which is the cheapest on offer and does 35mm, 6x6 and 6x9) but shows its construction better. The one on sale is much dirtier looking but much more affordable.

I wonder what your opinion is on these? :

ampliador-pb-fuji-s69-com-objetiva-original-fujinon-50mm-D_NQ_NP_869599-MLB28193283863_092018-F.webp

ampliador-meopta-opemus-6-standard-com-lente-sem-lmpada-D_NQ_NP_690672-MLB26930601186_022018-F.webp

ampliador-fotografico-preto-e-branco-com-lente-D_NQ_NP_714294-MLB27234858942_042018-F.webp

Thank you!

I'm not sure why but your images aren't showing up so I can't tell what you're looking at. I did own a Meopta Opemus 6x6 many years ago and it was quite well made. I sold it and moved on to a Durst because the Opemus didn't have a very long column and didn't allow me to make 11x14" prints from a 35 mm negative.

the cadet.... Its a great little enlarger for small spaces. Im sure you will be very happy with it for many years. After all an enlarger is more dependent on how you align it, and the quality of the lens. Limiting factor, smaller negatives, smaller enlagment space on the easel. Making larger prints is possible if you project to the floor.

I had a B22, my first love, when I lived home as a youngin. I turned it around to shoot onto the kitchen floor n made some very nice 16x20s from 6x6 negs.

Meanwhile, keep an eye out for a bigger brother, if you have the space for it. Not much difference but bigger means you make larger prints and can use larger negatives.

When buying used enlargers, expect to do a complete clean out n lube. Most have been stored for many years. Make sure you have all the parts, especially the condensers. negative carriers are nice if they come with it... but you can make your own neg carriers from mat board if the enlarger price is that good. Look up the model you are planing to get before buying so you are familiar with all the parts that are important. Condensers are almost impossible to find and aren't going to be cheap when you do find it. .

BTW the price is good too. Spend your money on a good lens you can use on the next enlarger as well.

You gotta start somewhere.

• Like 1
The more you say, the less people listen.

The cat litter tray is a great idea. A photographer once told me that light boxes can be had cheaply from hospital supply stores - as they're used to view x-rays. I thought perhaps that these places may have cheaper developing trays too, will investigate...

I'm not sure why but your images aren't showing up so I can't tell what you're looking at.

Sorry the images didn't display, i copied and pasted. Will use the upload interface this time. Here they are with prices in US$$$:

Fuji S69 for $215. There's also a far less pristine one (but still with holders for 35mm and 6x6 and 6x9) )available for $90:

fuji1.thumb.jpg.4e33b8c45b2341a89ab0e7a99fda6a5f.jpg

Opemus 6 Standard for $129

Opemus.thumb.jpg.0535fd1b0822ede47e4d6115fd38f6a7.jpg

Unkown but solid looking enlarger for $165 (with assurance it's fully working - as is the more expensive Fuji). I'm still waiting for reply on model. Has a 35mm holder and seller says it's simple to make up a holder for 6x6. Perhaps 6x9 as well?

unknown.thumb.jpg.46c7ce9d03909145d86190347c775f14.jpg

The Beseler which i may be able to get for $50:

beseler.thumb.png.3e3b7d11c7952544460a437c67347584.png

beseler2.thumb.png.662371f6f7294d3ac85b36f410dc869f.png

On all of these I can get money back if not satisfied, but of course there will be quite a bit of hassle involved.

All the best!

Actually, my B-22 came without the condensers.

There is someone selling parts of B-22, and maybe others, for reasonable prices.

I think it was about $10, though a little more for shipping.

But that is because the B22 was popular, and there are a lot of them around.

For others, it will be much harder to find.

Then, just after I got the condensers, the lamp burned out.

Also, my B-22 is the XL version, with the longer (taller) than usual column.

I have gone to 11x14, but it might go to 16x20.

The tradition for some enlargers is to position it to shine on the floor.

My first was a Vivitar, I don't remember the model. Not bad, but somewhat basic.

The column was round, such that you could loosen the screw and rotate around the column.

The B-22 isn't round, though one could unscrew it from the base and reattach it the

other way around. Put something heavy on the base and shine it on the floor.

When I was young, I rarely did 8x10s, though I still have my original (50 years now)

Yankee 5x7 and 8x10 trays. (Red, white, and blue.). Only recently did I get

some 11x14 trays. I have a 16x20 Unidrum, which I might try for black and white

prints if I ever try ones that big. I don't have room for three 16x20 trays.

-- glen

The prices seem a little high. In the US, there is low demand for enlargers now, and I suspect

also in other parts of the world. You might bargain down a little bit.

Do be sure that the condensers are there.

I don't know about others, but for the B-22 there are two main condensers, and then one

extra that you add for use with 35mm (or smaller) film. It might be that others just have two.

Most parts should be easy to clean.

• Like 1

-- glen

Go for the Fuji. At least you can see it's all there. Enquire about the lens though. It may be worth paying more for one with a decent lens or lenses. Such as El-Nikkor, Rodagon or Componon-S. Fuji also made some excellent lenses.

Forget the Beseler, it'll require too much work to get it serviceable. Also forget the 'unknown' brand. Parts of it look ancient, in poor condition and overall a 'bitsa' - bits of this, bits of that.

So the choice is basically between the Meopta and the Fuji. And since we can't see much of the Meopta, I personally think the Fuji is your best option. It looks a bit lightweight, but it looks ready to go.

• Like 1

As a general guide, better 50mm enlarging lenses have a maximum aperture of f/2.8.

There's no such rough guide to 75 and 80mm lenses, but there are very few great lenses in this focal length with apertures of f/4.5. They're mostly either f/4 or f/5.6.

You'll also need a lens of 100 or 105mm to cover 6x9 negatives.

P.S. The make of lens isn't any guarantee of quality, you need the model. For example: Rodenstock and Schneider made several grades of enlarger lens. Rogonar and componar lenses were the bottom rung and pretty poor. Then came Comparon and Roganon, and at the top were their Rodagon and Componon (-S) models.

All El-Nikkors are pretty good, but some are better than others.

The model also means nothing if the lens has been maltreated - usual culprit is over-cleaning with a mucky old rag - or damaged in some other way. Rodenstock lenses are prone to cement separation, which is obviously not a good thing.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1
  • Like 1

I think the popular 50mm EL-Nikkor is f/4. Papers are so fast now, that you will have it stopped down much of the time.

An f/2.8 lens might make focusing easier, but with a grain focus device, you should do fine at f/4.

I believe 75mm is common for 6x6, but in proportion to 35mm, that seems a little short.

If you want to do both 6x6 and 6x9, a lens close to 100mm should be fine, except possibly for the largest enlargements.

Well, in the latter case, use one of the above suggestions for increasing the lens to paper distance.

As noted, papers now are fast, so even large prints should be plenty fast to expose.

• Like 1

-- glen

Thanks for all the advice on lenses, etc. I've found both the f/2.8 and the f/4 50mm EL-Nikkors available at reasonable prices. I also found a second Meopta Opemus 6 which is apparently fully functional and complete. And much more affordable than the more expensive Fuji. I think this one is a contender. Looks very solid. It has a glass negative holder - looks big - what size would this be? The lens is an 80mm f/4, so good for 6x6. Perhaps someone will recognise the make/model of the lens:

opemus3.thumb.jpg.2a16071a5f4cae0ae33da41b5c1cd123.jpg

opemus5.jpg.68a89330bab61c4ee9f2978363dbda44.jpg

opemus2.jpg.32664aba28c5756ab567280eff2daea6.jpg

opemus.jpg.66053fcc2aab324b8c7f1a00cbd79d75.jpg

Although the general advice on enlarging lenses is El Nikkor, Rodenstock or Schneider, there are numerous others and any 50mm from Photo Cornucopia with 5 elements or more should be OK for 35 mm. I've got the Opemus enlarger with a colour head, but you B/W version comes with a filter drawer that you'll need for printing variable contrast papers. It's a sturdy rather than sophisticated enlarger.

One thing to be careful with is the lens mounting board which is domed in the middle. The dome is mounted upwards for 35 mm negatives and downwards for 6x6.

• Like 1

If prices are comparable and condition is good, I would go with the f/2.8 El Nikkor over the f/4. The f/2.8 version is a 6 element lens and the f/4 is a 4 element lens. the f/2.8 version should produce sharper images as well as more accurate focusing of your enlarger.
  • Like 1