Bell & Howell Canonet 19

rio_sundoro

<p>Hi, I have recently acquired a B&H Canonet 19. Everything seems to be in working order except the timer. I looked around for the history of the model and seems like it was first manufactured in 1961. But I notice that the Canon logo (under the Bell & Howell) is the modern Canon logo we see today, instead of the thin variant normally seen on FTb up to AE-1 P.<br>

Does anyone know why is this so? Or perhaps the B&H Canonet 19 variant was actually manufactured more recently, perhaps in early 80s?<br>

Cheers</p>

<p>Seems to be a lot of interest in the Canonets lately.<br>

Rio - have you checked the model in the Canon Camera Museum? If it's a Canonet QL19 then it was first marketed in 1965 and the logo was the full logo. See here <a href="http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/film/data/1956-1965/1965_ql19.html?lang=us&categ=srs&page=net">http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/film/data/1956-1965/1965_ql19.html?lang=us&categ=srs&page=net</a><br>

If it's an original Canonet with an f1.9 lens then it was marketed in 1961 and should've had the thin logo according to the pictures on the Museum.<br>

Back to work.</p>

<p>The logo trivia question applies to the SLRs as well. I've wondered the same thing about the logo, once assuming that there was an older and a newer version, until I saw original Canonflex everready cases and advertising that used the modern logo circa 1960. I've since come to wonder whether the choice was simply a matter of practicality. In earlier days it would have been much easier to engrave or emboss gear with the simpler "thin" logo, while the "modern" one could easily be printed. Later on, when new methods became available, it became practical to use the "new" logo on the equipment.</p>

<p>Anybody have any ideas? When does the "modern" logo first appear in Canon literature? I have a Canonflex publication printed in June, 1959 that uses it.</p>

<p>Interesting to see that from the link provided by Gordon, the Canon logo we see today was actually introduced in 1956, though their cameras even as late as AE-1P still carried the thin version.<br>

Hi Kayam, mine isn't the QL 19, my model actually has the winding lever at the bottom of the camera.<br>

Alan, yes, I agree with you, it's probably more of production issue.</p>

<p>If you compare the official thin logo "1953" with the thin logo engraved on post 1956 bodies (AE-1, Canonet) you can clearly seen that they are different.<br>

Starting from 1956, so with the "fat" logo we know today, the "O" became round and no more oval as it was before, that's the main difference.<br>

I imagine that for some (technical?) reasons, the engraving was easier if made as a line, so the logo had to be "thin". Look at parts from a AE-1, the catalogs, manuals, lens cover, wide red/white straps,... all are with the "fat" logo. But the "Canon" engraving on the prism is "thin", just a line. And look at the engraving of the "AE-1" it's also made with line countouring the letters and not full fat bold font.<br>

You can check on the Canon museum pages, all the post 56 cameras with engraved "Canon" are with "thin" lettres while the other (painted, glued, decalls,...) have the new "fat" logo. The first SLR with "fat" logo is the T50 sandy-orange-gold painted logo+name.</p>