Anyone still enjoying their 45mm P lens?

Ian Rance

<p>One of Nikon's less popular lenses from the mid 2000's, usually when mentioned gets greeted with "I can have a 50mm f1.8 for less and anyway its more style over substance". My years using this lens have told me that nothing is further from the truth. It is one of those rare lenses that is more like a window than any other (due to the low element count and excellent coatings). I was out enjoying it today and unlike even some expensive lenses none of the photos came out 'badly'. If I am feeling a bit lacklustre, an hour out with the 45 P soon gets me feeling better. I share a few simple images from today, but please do share your 45 P photos - always good to see them.</p>

<div>00dSEy-558165584.JPG.a2d1c53575c9a1e62f81c75da26a3779.JPG</div>

<p>I've never had the Nikon 45 P, although I've often looked at it, and even followed a few Ebay auctions. Your results renew my interest, but it does seem a bit overpriced, as does even the earlier 45/2.8 GN auto-Nikkor. I've used a 45 Mintola which I like quite well, and they're much more favorably priced (I saw one last week, good condition, in a charity shop for less than $10...too bad I already have one). Thanks for sharing - I do like the slightly wider angle.</p>

<p>I very much enjoy using my 45 f2.8p as it works beautifully on my film Nikons F,F2, N2020 and my Fuji dslr with Nikon mount. My interest lies in Manual Focus but availability of all modes and TTL strobe with electronic film and digital cameras! The unique feature when storing is protective filter, unusual lens shade and deep lens cap need not be removed only adding rear cap and using soft drawstring lens bag!</p>

<p>Thanks for the input - and good to see others are still enjoying this lens. Its a shame it has become expensive, however they were selling new for £199 which was a very fair price I think - especially as for that you got a metal hood and NC filter too.</p>

<p>I like mine so much I bought two of the black versions. It's on my D800 all the time - I can have a body cap, 45P or a bloated 50/1.8G so I have the 45P.<br>

These days with high ISO capabilities of the D800 I don't need f/1.8 except for a few times a year.<br>

Wide open the central 2/3rds of the frame are plenty sharp enough and at f/5.6 it's pixel level sharp at 36MP except for the last 1% of the frame in the corners.<br>

Some of my best, most memorable images have been take with this lens.<br>

Those that put it down either don't own it or had a bad copy. Its one not so great fault is flare when pointed into the sun, but I don't do that often with a 45mm.<br>

All that AND it looks way better on my D800 than a 50/1.8G (even the Df version doesn't look as good.)<br>

Nikon should come out with a series of f/2.8 (or f/4) primes that are as compact as possible while still having very good optics. A good series would be 20/4, 45/2.8, 85/2.8, 180/4 that are all excellent wide open.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Whoa! The prices asked for that little Tessar copy are ridiculous. Personally I'm a great fan of 55mm Micro-Nikkors (either the f/3.5 or f/2.8 versions). They have great contrast and "drawing" and sell for a tiny fraction of a 45mm P.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>And they are far larger and heavier and still f/2.8 or slower. Besides, some of us think a "normal" focal length lens is actually a bit wider than 55mm . . .</p>

<p>And, I paid only $350 each for my two nearly pristine copies - that's pretty darned good for a high quality full-frame lens these days that will never has an AF motor die. As Bjorn points out on his lens site, it is so small that it can be easily misplaced (which I have done on occasion).</p>

<p>Don, its because it was tested on a DX body (D200). John, I would love such a range of primes to be available. A set of those and a week off and I would be happy indeed. At least we have the 45mm to be getting on with though :-)</p><div>00dSOM-558183584.jpg.f989208cb0d0a307c80526525dd1cb10.jpg</div>

<p>The 45mm f2.8P has a certain "style" to the photographs it can produce. That "style" I find to be unique. I first found this out with a Yashica Minister III with its fixed 45mm f2.8 Tessar lens. Many years later I found a Nikkor 45mm f2.8 GN lens (I didn't know at the time what it was) only to find out that it too was a Tessar design. To the present, and the Nikkor 45mmm f2.8P lens which can produce truly outstanding photographs, both on film and digital (FX).<br>

Please also consider the other Tessar design lenses which Nikon has made over the years; these being medium and large format lenses (105mm f3.5, 200mm f8, 300mm f9 and the 450mm f9). I have adapted both the 105mm f3.5 and the 200mm f8 lenses to work on both 35mm film and digital (FX). So, a collection of Nikon Tessar design lenses which are individually mounted on 4 cameras.<br>

.</p>