anyone evre used a nikon sdk for her/his camera /

CvhKaar

<p>I don't think Nikon would allow a private individual to download their Software Development Kits. I'm pretty sure their vetting process would only allow partner companies or established software development houses to download SDKs, and only then if Nikon saw some marketing advantage to be had.</p>

<p>Much more useful would be hardware interface information - such as the pinout and levels required by their latest "accessory interface". Looks like a USB variant, but who knows? And it uses a proprietary plug and socket.</p>

<p>Besides, there's already a few camera control apps out there. No point in reinventing the wheel. It might be interesting to dig a bit deeper into Nikon's design rules for their NEF files though.</p>

<p>Yes, I've used the camera SDKs. There is an application you need to complete before being allowed to download an SDK, but nothing prevents individuals from going through the vetting process. The time from submitting an application to receiving the download link is a matter of minutes.<br>

The SDKs are reasonably well documented and complete. However, the native Nikon MAID interface is at a fairly low-level, so many of us choose to employ Thomas Dideriksen's wrapper (offered for free at SourceForge). The wrapper supports C# and VB, is well maintained and easy to use. Note that if you elect to use the SDK wrapper, you will still need to download the SDK for your camera in order to access one of the binary files included with the Nikon distribution. </p>

<p>Curious: It takes a lot of time and tests to perfect a program. Is there any special advantage to it other than intellectual curiosity and the pride that comes with "I made my own software"? Are there desirable features that the available programs lack that are relatively easy for a technical individual to develop? What are they?</p>

<p>The software will need to work within the limitation of the hardware (camera, flash...). I can see the necessity to spend the time and effort to develop one's own if the existing software are way off. Otherwise don't think it makes sense, nor is it cost-effective. </p>

<p>BeBu, the application you describe is basically a script that could be piggy-backed onto an existing camera control app. There's no need to know anything about the internal workings of a Nikon DSLR to implement such a script.</p>

<p>I'm trying to think of an application that would need the low-level access of an SDK, but I really can't think of anything that doesn't already exist in some form or another. Maybe a RAW to pseudo IR converter, but that could be done in any image editor really.</p>