Anyone ever photographed the "Green Flash"

<p>Yes, I've done both. It exists, but it's brief and sometimes pretty subtle. It doesn't happen on every sunset.</p>

<p>You need the right atmospheric conditions, a distant flat horizon (like the sea) and you're looking for a pretty subtle effect that last maybe a second or two. If you're expecting a distinct bright green flash, you probably won't see it.

<p>

When I last saw it (picture below) was actually more noticeable visually than it is in the image.<div>00a70M-448389584.jpg.bf7c0ed9861b395edacd650ecd3ebdce.jpg</div>

<p>Though the green flash is said to be visible using the naked eye, when I've seen it I was looking through a long lens or binoculars. Note that you have to be <strong>VERY</strong> careful looking at the sun through binoculars. You<strong> WILL</strong> bind yourself if the sun is too bright (i.e. too far above the horizon). However, at least from sea level, since the flash usually occurs when only the very last tip of the sun is visible (a few seconds before it sets) it may, depending on conditions, be safe to use optics - <strong>at your own risk</strong> of course.</p>

<p>If you don't know what you are doing and you don't have experience of solar photography and solar observation I would strongly recommend <strong>againt</strong> using any type of direct optical assistance. However a telephoto lens used when the sun mostly below the horizon should be relatively safe since even with direct reflex viewing, the sun's image is dimmed by being projected onto the viewfinder screen.</p>

<p>I have seen and photographed the green flash. I used an 800 mm Nikkor to do it. The effect is very short-lived, and one only gets one chance per day. After I had it, the more important question arose: <em>Why </em>photograph the Green Flash? I still don't know.</p>