Another Local Photographer is Copying Me

bonniepearce

<p>Hi everybody,</p>

<p>I am new to the forum but I have perused its content many times. I have a problem with another local photographer. This person and I used to work together in a different field (I left photography for a few years for better benefits.) Once they found out that I too am a photographer, we would chat about this or that. Sometimes, they would come to me and ask a technical question (they are amateur level and I am pro-level). There was obviously some jealousy on their part but they also appreciated my skill level and artistic view. When they would come to me with technical questions or ask me to critique something they had done, after I would reply, they would rebuff whatever I said while trying not to look totally ticked. But, then I would see the subtle change in their work. I am not a harsh critic but I do point out what needs improvement such as: I like the posing here but I would like to see you pull back on adding so much contrast because it is causing you to lose detail in your shadows and your highlights. That sort of thing.<br>

I was slowly working on re-opening my studio on the side. This person also does side work as a photographer. Of course, I started with a Facebook page while building my website, ordering business cards and updating my equipment. Their studio "liked" my page and I, in return, "Liked" theirs back from my personal page. At first, I found it odd but when I would make a post, inevitably they would make a post within a very short amount of time. I told my husband about it. Of course he thought I was crazy. This behavior continued. Meanwhile, we still worked together in the same office and they would act as if nothing was amiss. I started showing my husband again because not only was this person posting when I would, they started posting similar material. Ok, so they are feeling competitive. Friends suggested(and husband) that I block this person.<br>

I finally launched full time and left our old company. Business has been good and I am booking quite a bit of work. I can see their posts in my Facebook stream and I notice that their work is getting more refined - good, I can't stand crappy photography. Then I started noticing that their images are starting to look like mine. I do this back-lit natural light/strobe mix thing and I am seeing this in their stuff now. I showed my husband and he said I should block them. I didn't because I don't want to seem unprofessional or rude. Imitation is supposed to be flattering, right?<br>

I did a deal through a discount program and sold tons of appointments. For fun, I have been posting little vignettes about each shoot with a few of the images from them. I got such an overwhelming response from the stories that I continued to do them. I always start them "Meet so-n-so". Sometimes the stories are sweet, sometimes really funny. I write whatever stood out the most, whether it be the clients only or what we encountered on our session.<br>

Guess what? This person is now writing stories and their starting line is "Meet so-n-so". Now I am just pissed. I get the imitation thing. I do. But really, enough is enough. Now it is so blatant it isn't even funny anymore. They mentioned on the FB stream that they are posting two more stories today. If they do the same thing as me, I am tempted to pay them a visit. I am not passive aggressive in the least so it will most likely be very uncomfortable for them. My dilemma is that they will actually post a passive aggressive message on FB about it. I have seen them do this before with other photographers. They do not mention names but that doesn't mean they wouldn't start. They obviously don't get the point of building solid working relationships.<br>

Any advice for this?</p>

<p>Ignore it, and do better work than your imitator. <br /><br />For what it's worth, I don't see how blocking a Facebook user is going to help you, since surely you're making your work available for anyone in the public to see, whether or not they have a Facebook account or a relationship with you. Right?<br /><br /> </p>

<p>Yes - Ignore it. You've had a relationship with this person - why not try to build on that relationship and use each other for ideas, equipment, second shooters when needed, etc. It's good to know the other photographers in your area in case you need them at some time.</p>

<p>If you'd rather look at the negative side, just be a better photographer than your competition. After all, you have the full-time photography business. Ignore what they do and focus on building your own business. </p>

<p>I have competition in my business that sells the exact same product and undercuts my pricing by sometimes hundreds or thousands of dollars - We still sell more product and have happier customers. Why? They copy our business and try to do the things we do. They're so focused on what we do that they don't focus on what works for them. We, on the other hand, look at how to improve ourselves rather than on what the competition is doing. Focus on you and you'll grow and succeed - Focus on the competition and you're bound to fail.</p>

<p>RS</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Now I am just pissed.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That explains the extra long post I gather.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Any advice for this?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>"Friends suggested(and husband) that I block this person."</p>

<p>Follow their advice.</p>

<p>"<em>Sometimes, they would come to me and ask a technical question (they are amateur level and I am pro-level)."</em><br>

If they go too far maybe you can sue them. Obviously they admire your work, but they don't want to give you the credit for one reason or another. Some people have problems with giving praise. It could be that you are dealing with such type of people.<br>

Or it could be that they have became overly dependent on you but don't want to admit it, so they are sneaking around. Is there anyway to cut them off totally. Change your page, block them, or sue them if you can and avoid visiting their page at all costs. There is no need for you to go through that aggravation. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"<em>Sometimes, they would come to me and ask a technical question (they are amateur level and I am pro-level)."</em><br /> If they go too far maybe you can sue them.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Please tell me you're joking. Brian had a smiley at least.</p>

<p>"<em>Please tell me you're joking. Brian had a smiley at least."</em><br /><em></em><br />No I'm not, I had this happen to me(not exactly) a while back and it was pretty distressing to say the least. I would not mind a friend copying my work, but when a person who is not that friendly towards you does this and they do it constantly to the point where it becomes an obsession, sure it's worrisome.</p>

<p>"I know we're getting more off topic, here, but I'm really curious what you mean by that."<br>

Very hard to explain, but I was competing for assignments against a certain person and they decided to low ball me by gaining access to my email account. This was extremely hard to prove, but it can be done. The problem is you know the person is doing it because there is no way they would no certain things, but trying to get then to admit they are doing it is another story. </p>

<p>It really depends on how identical they truly are. A "Meet so-n-so..." isn't exactly ground breaking originality and I am sure you can find more examples of it.</p>

<p>If it is exactly the same, word for word, images looking identical, then I'd confront them. But it would have to so clearly identical. <br>

Coming from a architecture background and working in the graphic/web world, you see this all the time. For web/graphics, you would send a polite letter and that would take care of it (but that's a little different, as some punks actually take the exact code).</p>

<p>Clearly you are distressed and feel like your trust has been violated. I would just block them and move on. Anything more would be stressful and it sounds like your business is going well, that's what really matters.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>they decided to low ball me by gaining access to my email account.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is completely different than the situation that you responded to and isn't applicable.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>invasion of privacy maybe.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Copyright violations</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There aren't enough facts here to say that occurred.</p>

<p>The best bet is to just block the person and move on unless or until there is some sort of new conduct that actually warrants a response.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>MB and others have given you some good advise. I would be tempted, but probably would not follow through with a facebook post something like this: "Thank you all for the overwhelming response to my photography business. Bookings continue to come in as faster than I ever imagined. In fact, it's so good that there are even local photographers doing their best to copy my style and techniques! Please don't be fooled by their inferior imitations. Looking forward to meeting your needs as a professional photographer".<br>

At least you've sent the message that you're onto him!<br>

Competition can be brutal in a "dog-eat-dog" world. Doing your best will certainly grow your business.</p>

<p>You need to unfriend them and not look at what they post. Forget them and concentrate on your own work and marketing.<br>

This is a common occurance and you just need to strive to raise the level of your work and marketing saturation. At some point they start to look like an unfinished imitation of art.<br>

Your husband is right.</p>

<p>You need to unfriend them and not look at what they post. Forget them and concentrate on your own work and marketing.<br>

This is a common occurance and you just need to strive to raise the level of your work and marketing saturation. At some point they start to look like an unfinished imitation of art.<br>