Airport scanners and sheet film?

I have read many articles and posts in regard to transporting rollfim

(negative and slide) thru airport security scanners. However, I am

interested in bringing along sheet film and I wonder if the same

rules apply (not that there are any hard fast rules). The film I

plan on bringing is Efke PL100. Should I bother? or just decide to

bring a camera that takes roll film only?

Also, a film bag (scanner safe?) is not an option.

Jay,

The foil does not protect your film. Neither do so called "film bags." If the operator is not able to see inside a container, they just ramp up the power until they can.

Also, you can request a hand-check of film in US airports.

This post of mine probably won't survive the Non-Archive part of the GNA forum, but it might be worth checking out while it's still alive:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00AT63

OPERATORS CANNOT "RAMP UP" THE AMOUNT OF X-RAY. This fallacy keeps coming up. I

know this for a fact. Additionally, lead bags do provide some slight protection. The

operators CAN see in lead bags, but it does cut down on the amount of xray that hits the

film. But the scanner has ONE setting, ON. They could choose to run it through 1001

times, but that is another issue. Just ask nicely for a hand check, I have never been

refused (in the U.S.).

Andrew-

Thank goodness somebody has finally pointed this out!

A typical carry-on scanner delivers about 0.1 mRm in radiation which is equivalent only to about a few hours worth of background radiation. There is no means by which the operator cam increase that dosage.

If an inspector doesn't like what's in a leaded bag, they will simply ask you to remove it and then either hand-check it or run it through the machine without the bag.

I'd recommend folks take a look at dynavision.com - a vendor of many such machines - if they are curious.

<i>OPERATORS CANNOT "RAMP UP" THE AMOUNT OF X-RAY.</i><BR><BR>In the 1950's; some shoes stores still had X-ray devices; to allow the store saleperson and you to see how your shoes fit. The brightness could be varied on the one I saw; it think it just was a B+ high voltage supply voltage adjustment. We would experiment placing different items in the device; and varying the brightness knob. As kids we would of course try golfballs; a mouse; frog; model train car; davy crocket racoon cap; 620 box camera; watch; WW2 practice grenade; Apple; dice; tacks; Yankee drill; or a cat if brave .:)

<p>Definitely bring your sheet film is LF photography is your preference. There is no need for the inspection process to change your photgraphy, particularly with a slow film.</p>

<p>The TSA has a statement about transporting film: <a href="http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1035.xml">http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1035.xml</a>.

They consider sheet film to be a specialty film for which they recommend hand inspection instead of x-raying. While the TSA personel are generally more professional, polite and effective then the previous screeners, my experience is that this is one rule that they tend to be unaware of. I think the lead bags are useful in reducing the exposure. With an ASA 100 film you really don't have anything to worry about. Just don't put it in your checked baggage because the CAT-scan style machines sometimes used for checked baggage can ruin any undeveloped film.</p>

<p>P.S. While some of today's safety concerns are overblown, people were harmed in the 1950s by uses of radiation including x-rays.</p>

Michael,

I've read those regs. and the only problem is that the TSA has a loophole whereby they can basically do whatever in their best judgement is necessary to maintain security...so don't be surprised if that would include refusing the request of somebody who argued a little too persistently that he had a right to have his film hand-checked.

Your sheet film will be fine.<br>

I went to Paris in the spring, and took several boxes of 4x5 tmax 400. I couldn't find a single security checkpoint to hand inspect my film. Not one. All online guidelines say that most will, but in practice, no one will.<br>

My film and holders were xray an uncountable number of times at four airports and a number of tourist attractions. I assumed my film was ruined. Much to my surprise, however, the film was perfectly fine, with no increase in FB+F.