Adox 25 sheet film!

tom_smith15

I don't believe it - I got a box of this film after slogging weekends

earning pittance.

Now I've been told that it's the new name for Efke 25 film which I've

not really shot much of. I've tried shooting some of it at ISO 25

and can't find anything to develop it on the digitaltruth tables.

Some of the archives say don't use a red filter with it. I've already

done that and now don't know how to develop it.

I have rodinal, HC110. If anyone can recommend me something to bring

the best out of its tonal range I'm be much obliged. It must be the

slowest film I've ever managed to shoot on.

Just a note to add - can anyone confirm if the digital truth times are correct? They seem a bit odd. I can't remember what I did when I first developed the older Efke in rodinal - it came out beautifully. Should've kept a note of what I did....ISO 40 comes out great - I know that. What about times for ISO 25 + red 25?

Yikes!

Hey ho. The times have changed!

These are closer to what I thought they should be after trialing the film the first time wrong.

Did I copy down the times wrong?! I can't possibly have loaded Efke in the first time - I was souping around 7-8 minutes in Rodinal 1:50.......need to check.

I'm guessing that Adox is no longer available. I had always wondered what film Diane Arbus used and from looking at her contact sheets the film name on many was something like Adox R17. This was roll film of course, but it must have also been ASA 25 given the extreamly fine grain even for those 16x20 prints. I think it was a German brand.

Cheers,

Marc

Whatever you decide to use, I picked J&C`s RO9 ( original rodinal), take a few sheets exposed under as similar conditions as you can and test for time/temp. When you get it right, develope the good shots.

The film is not very red sensitive, so you are maybe talking underexposure no matter what.

Next time, set up the developer and filter factors before you do an important shoot. Learn one combination and stick to it. Changing films/developers every week will get you nowhere.

It's pretty simple:

Adox went broke in the 60s. Effke came to buy the original Dr. Schleussner receipes somewhat during the 90s and relaunched the DIN 14/17/20 aka ASA 25/50/100 Films.

Fotoimpex (distributor of Effke) somehow got possesion of the trademark Adox last year.

What would you do? Right! Selling the Effke films as adox. It's at least the best and only copy of the 50s film, why should you use another name.

BtW.

They are pretty. The 25 film is the only one I know, worth discussing quality of my 35mm SLR lenses.

"Rumor has it that Efke films will soon be re-branded as "Adox", to give them a bit more marketing punch."

Keep with it Al! It's already happened. There's just no way this box of Adox film I've got could possibly be twice as old as I am.

Sounds like I may have underexposed everything then....it's going to be a long night of trials.

EFKE / ADOX 25 with a red #25 filter is likely to be underexposed if you forget that this film has reduced red sensitivity: It's not quite panchromatic! The film has more red sensitivity than an orthochromatic film, but less than most other panchromatic films. So assuming that the red filter does the same as with other films will lead to underexposure.

"I had always wondered what film Diane Arbus used and from looking at her contact sheets the film name on many was something like Adox R17."

In the 1960s I used to use Adox KB14 (20ASA) and KB17 (40ASA) in 35mm. They were fine but by golly, they were contrasty! What I should have done was to expose one more stop and dev in very dilute Rodinal, but I didn't know that at the time.