Abes of Maine

<p>I just bought a Canon SX10 IS from Abes of Maine which is in central New Jersey (Exit 10 of the Turnpike). I live near the store so I went there so I could handle the camera before buying it. It was a very good experience. They were very low pressure. In fact I'd say they were no pressure, and their price was competitive. If you live in the area, I recommend giving them a try. I never ordered from their website so I can't vouch for that, but shopping in the store was a very good experience.</p>

<p>I have no connection to the store in any way and I don't know if this kind of post is allowed. I only mention it because I always say to handle an item before buying it, and this seems to be a well stocked store with competitive prices and very good service.</p>

<p>I think they started in Old Orchard Beach in Maine. Way back when I recall reading their ads and they were in Maine, but must have moved to NJ some time later, nearer to the other large dealers.</p>

<p>I can remember going to Old Orchard Beach - a small resort type town south of Portland - as a young fellow, and seeing the camera stores along the waterfront, with shelves loaded with camera gear from top to bottom. Never had enough money to buy anything!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Bob and Bruce called it. According to their web site atarted in Old Orchard Beach, Maine. in '79. Moved to Brooklyn in '86 and most recently moved to Edison NJ. I also seem to recall that honest was part of their advertising in photo mags but I'm not certain on that point.</p>

<p>I went to the store so I can't vouch for their website service. I did check them with the BBB and resellerratings.com and both gave them satisfactory ratings. It's possible that in the past there were problems, but you can check with resellerratings.com and bbb.com yourself.</p>

<p>I just double checked them. Resellerratings.com gives them a 6 month rating of 8.06 and lifetime of 7.42. Average is 8.17 so it seems that they are average now and were below average in the past. BBB.com shows them as an Accredited Business with a B- rating which is about average. Accredited means that they agree to abide by BBB standards, and they are monitored to assure compliance. These ratings are significantly lower than B&H and Adorama who get outstanding ratings. As I said, I went to the store. I wouldn't recommend or discourage use of the website.</p>

<p>Couple of questions. </p>

<p>First, what makes you think that the ratings you're looking at haven't been manipulated? Certainly there have been allegations on this site in the past that they have "encouraged" positive feedback.</p>

<p>Second if you think after reading historical feedback that they scam some of their customers , is it right to think that they're ok simply because they didn't scam you? </p>

<p>The world isn't short of places to buy photographic equipment. Why would anyone choose to do so from a place with a reputation that can at the very best be considered spotty? Why not reward the organisations that serve their customers well?</p>

<p>I don't care where anyone shops. I've bought from B&H since the early 80's and Adorama since the early 90's and I still deal with them. I went to Abe's because it is 20 minutes away and I don't have to fight city traffic and hunt for a parking space. Before I went I checked with resellerratings.com and BBB.com (Better Business Bureau). Even if they stacked resellerratings.com they couldn't do that with the BBB. If anyone doesn't trust Abe's or anyone else, they shouldn't do business with them. I don't get a commission. I don't care. I thought that I would share my pleasant experience with anyone on the forum who cared. Also, for the third time, I went to the store. I didn't deal with their website and won't recommend it or badmouth it. I thought that anyone who lived near the store, which is centrally located in NJ, might want to check them out.</p>

<p>A "satisfactory" rating from the BBB is an extremely low standard. If you aren't actually knocking your customers over the head with a tire iron as they come through the door, stealing their wallets and dumping their unconscious bodies in a ditch some place (or at least haven't been caught doing it too many times) you can get a satisfactory rating from BBB. Businesses worth dealing with do much better.</p>