___Rollei and Agfa are different films! Cautiously!

- shtativ

Hello!

I heard, that Retro 100/400 it too most, that APX 100/400. I have finished

shooting 10 rolls Retro 100 (120 type) and have process a part in Rodinal and a

part in D76. Results are awful! The strong contrast, crookedly pasted paper

layer. There are black points which I well see in the sky in a negative. I in

horror! I never saw such Agfa! Rollei it is other film! For what take money? Be

accurater - shoot a trial film before the important photoshootings!

And the second question - where to find replacement of APX100 and APX25? I can

not find a film which so beautifully and softly transfers a midtones and as has

beautiful impressive grain. Agfa was rich silver.. It is very insulting....

Help please, friends!

Andrew Shtativ

Mr. Shtativ,

It is unfortunate that Rollei has put out a film of such questionable quality. I had read recently that Rollei took delivery upon a large value of uncut film from A&O the currently operates the Agfa film production facilities. I had found that H.O> Mahn was producing the Rollei film and that Maco Developer was the proper choice. So in short a lot of confusing information is out there regarding this "quality German film" by Rollei.

I have a lot of Agfa APX 25 & 100 in my freezer. But ever since Agfa upgraded to the APX 100 from the old Agfapan 100 I have frequently found graininess in my negatives when using Rodinal 1:37, 7.5 minutes at continuous agitation (Speed 2 on Jobo). Somewhat variable and disturbing since I have a lot of Agfa APX100.

Ilford Pan F (ISO 50)is very fine grained panchromatic film the retains its speed in Rodinal 1:37, 7-8 minutes continuous agitation. Agfa 25 is hard to replace, but Ilford Pan F comes close and is finer grained.

Regarding the black points in negatives, I found the same in my last purchases of Agfa APX 100 and APX 25. Requires a fair bit of spotting, but stillmakes a beautiful image. I think quality control is lacking in the German retro film industry. Try Ilford ot Kodak TMAX which also process well in Rodinal, both can be purchased through B&H in New York, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ it is is a good place to start.

I must say that I prefer Agfa tones, but I think it is more the Rodinal than the film that makes this quality. Rodinal + TMAX very similar.

Rollie 120 size is too expensive for me anyways although I've been tempted to try it. The advice to check out other stores is right on. I stopped in a small mom & pop camera store looking for a hot shoe mount and discovered 80 rolls of APX100, from the last batch Agfa made. I bought the bunch for a song. "Nobody buys this stuff anymore" said the salesguy. He was happy to be rid of them I guess. Win/win!

I love Pan-F+ at 100 in Diafine. I am having trouble controling contrast with Efke 25. I am working on that... Damn I miss Panatomic-X

There is alot of bulk rolls of APX on the internet ....Ultrafine sells them and some of their house brand.... not all are APX. you have to ask them. Some is Ilford. I have about 400 feet of it in the freezer and it cost me about $20 per 100 feet. Rodinal is great with this film. As for 120 have you tryed ADOX/EFKE films?

Larry

I can't say in 120 but in 4x5 sheets, I tried ADOX 100 in PMK with very good results: great gradations, detailed highlights and quite detailes shadows. It can be compared with FP4+, except for the grain, that is more noticeable in ADOX (but no problem in 4x5).

Thanks to all for replying!

I`m afraid bying Agfa on ebay.. Seller can sell to me a fake or bad quality films.

I`m never used Efke films. Can anybody say obout it? It is necessary concrete. For example Pan F 50 and Pan F 100 films very different. FP4 too correct and equal film. Where to find small roughness of grain and softness of contrast of APX?

Hi Andrew Shtativ!

Why you're buying through E-bay, instead buying direct "fresh films" from the official distributor in the USA? Again, ROLLEI RETRO 100 + 400, are definately AGFA film material! The ROLLEI PAN 25, also a new ISO 25 film, probably with the best grey tonality of ALL B&W films, can be highly recommended! Download PDF from www.rollei.com, and get the information. EFFKE films are now FOTOKEMIKA using the label ADOX! Under ADOX label, there are hiding ILFORD and EFFKE films!

Regards, Rainer

MACO has covered from AGFA PHOTO GERMANY, not from A&O, original product as master rolls and expertly allow to manufacture it in one of the biggest European production plants, as a roll film and as 35mm films. There can be NO DOTS, or whatever which deals causally with the film, hence, it is to be supposed that it concerns a processing mistake with the developing. The difference to the original of AGFA roll film is the film support material. With ROLLEI, the film base is 135 micron, which is dyed a little bit more grey, as the former AGFA. The emulsion is identical, which leads even more of the newest version which is usable easily to ISO 200, with perfect results.