7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 lens

I have the 35mm f1.2 and it's definitely one of my favourites. It's not 'clinical', it has flaws and 'character', small size means it pairs nicely with a rangefinder style body like the Fuji XE series.

I also recently bought the 25mm f1.8 for my wife to use on her Panasonic GF1. Not had it long enough to really give an opinion, but again, it has character. Razor sharp in the centre, falls off toward the edges and rapidly away from the plane of focus. Different from the 35 but also a nice lens. Focus and aperture markings appear to be meaningless on this one, but doesn't really hurt usability on a mirrorless camera unless you're trying to scale focus for snap shooting.

I prefer the 35, but the 25 makes a good manual 'nifty fifty' for u4/3 cameras.

Not used the fisheye, but, based on the strength of the two I own, I might be tempted to pick one up one day to experiment with.

My best interpretation of 7artisans design philosophy is that they are reworked versions of classic optical formulae, optimised in a way that wasn't possible in the 1940s (computer aided design, coatings), but they're still low element count lenses that retain the 'character' of those old designs.

The glass is very good indeed, the assembly acceptable, at least on a par with cheaper classic lenses. The mechanical design is, in some cases, not so good (25/1.8). The price is excellent.

In short, don't expect perfection. Do expect something you can't get from the major manufacturers highly optimised modern lenses. For short focal length, wide aperture lenses, they're certainly a viable alternative to adapted classic glass, once you start approaching 50mm, maybe not so much...

I have a rebrand of the 7.5mm F2.8 that I use with m43. It is branded as Risespray. Was $89.95 on Amazon. Amazing value and a great performer. Perfect for a fisheye(lens that I don't use often). I've also owned the Samyang in various mounts which is excellent and this one for my use is just as good.

I guess a test sample is in order.

red.2.green.thumb.jpg.78abc63fdc65518a9fe67fd81f2b956a.jpg

• Like 1