50mm Challenge

<p>Back by popular demand! After it's short life in the No Words forum I received multiple emails with interest in this thread. I respect the moderator's ruling in the NWF, and since there was a lot of interest I am trying this again here. Hopefully it doesn't get deleted.</p>

<p>I tried to post a <a href="../no-words-forum/00X7Tu">"50mm challenge"</a> thread with the following rules in the No Words forum last weekend. Since everyone didn't have a chance to contribute, I am repeating the 50mm challenge.</p>

<p>Here are the rules:<br />You must go take a photo in your backyard or around the house or neighborhood using a 50mm prime lens (if you don't have a prime, peg your zoom on 50mm). The photo must be taken <strong>AFTER</strong> reading this post; no posting photos that are already on the computer. I'm curious to see what kind of compositions, creativity, and originality people can come up with using just a fixed lens and their backyard. Originally I said the photo had to be from today, but since one day isn't much time for film shooters, you can post any time after the thread starts.</p>

<p>If it catches on, I'll try to come up with a new challenge each weekend. I will start the thread on Friday nights so everyone can wake up first thing Saturday morning and have the whole weekend to start working on the challenge. I'll post my photo when I take it.</p>

<p>Also, this is not a contest, it is simply a friendly challenge to motivate everyone to get out and get creative with limited resources and to share our shots with each other.</p>

<p>I wholeheartedly support this concept. Nathan, as he already has mentioned, originally posted this in the No Words forum as a "24 hour challenge", to shoot and post with your normal lens within a set time frame. I did not think that that was appropriate for the No Words forum and disallowed his post in No Words. It is, however, <strong>a great idea</strong>, and encourage members to post their responses. Regards.</p>

<p>Be careful, Lex and Lupo may end up in their back yard with a 50mm Browning. Canon? Nikon or Zeiss and Leica? Hahaha, pffft. My 50 is a Ma Deuce.</p>

<p>Anyway, this is a funny fifty video, luckily the guy was hit in the head so he wasn't hurt.</p>

<p>

<p>Can I ask for two major modifications? Make the challenge 30 days long each, multiple entries permitted and Walter, could you make them sticky at the top of the page?</p>

<p>A monthly thread wil allow more people to participate, like film curmudgeons like me. <br>

Sticky at the top means it's active, you may have more people join.<br>

Multiple photos and would make any subject more interesting.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the support. I'm anxious to see some actual photos. </p>

<p>Michael,<br>

You can post photos as long after the thread has opened as you like; weeks, months, or even years, but I would like to introduce a new challenge each weekend so we all have something to look forward to. As for being sticky, that would be great, but its not up to me. And as for multiple images, I think we should keep it at one for now so the threads don't get overrun by a few trigger happy people. </p>

<p>Hi Nathan, I think it's time for PN to add some new ways for the Community member to participate. But my personal feelings is, we have at least 1 or 3 weekly photo threads per forum. Why bother with another? What would it add to the site?</p>

<p>It would take me probably 3 days to get the photo that I'm working on mentally (average as it is). A 1 week challenge could get 15-25 posts like every other weekly thread, where is the difference other then being called a "challenge"? Whe're not such an ADD bunch to only do a snap, post wait till next week to post again. It would be nice to do something different. And creative.</p>

<p>A project thread, a challenge with 150 posts would be much more interesting then another 20 post thread. JMHO.</p>

<p>Again Nathan, like the MF POW thread that encourages multiple posts, works. Why fix something before it's shown to be broken? I really like the concept and to get PN folks to add another dimension to the site, but my feeling is that this is another POW by a different name. It's your idea, I like it, but if feels the same as a POW. In other words, if you posted a POW of "Your Backyard with a 50", you have not really created a challenge, just another POW.</p>

<p>Michael, I'm sorry but I can't please everyone. I'm not trying to just follow suit with all the other POW threads. I <strong>AM</strong> trying to create something unique. This isn't just a "snap and post" thread. It forces you to think outside the box or maybe go outside your norm and in the process hopefully push our skills and help us progress as photographers. Also, this is just the first of these threads, of course its not going to be perfect. Over time we can tweak the thread to make it better for everyone, but as of now its more or less a trial run.</p>

<p>Thanks again for the support Walt, I really appreciate it.</p>

<p>Okay less talk, more photos.</p>

<p>When I went outside today I swore I wouldn't take the same photo I took for the short lived tread last week, but as I was standing by the fence post I couldn't help but notice how perfectly the horses were framed in the gate, so I turned the camera horizontal and snapped this one off.</p><div>00XAXF-273893584.jpg.21468e5f4f3836d7971ab9820779ab9e.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>That is why it is a good concept. Shoot at 50mm even when it takes you out of your comfort zone. You might stumble into something that will help your photography.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Maybe...but I should have said: My 50mm is 35mm sorta speak, I don't even own a 50mm lens and my zoom only goes to 35mm. I guess I could use my P&S if I can figure out where the 50mm setting is...</p>

<p>The rules do say that the photo MUST be taken AFTER reading this thread. But will a photo taken just the prior weekend qualify ? It satisfies all other parameters :-) Photos around the backyard, 50mm prime lens. I just got myself a Nikon FM2N with a 50mm manual focus lens. So this is the first "test roll" as such. All photos are 50mm photos. I just happened to come across this thread now.<br>

If OK with you, then I will post my image(s) from the weekend.<br>

Regards,<br>

Venkat P.</p>

<p>Okay, if you took it before the thread, I guess no one would really know, but the idea is to get you to get out and take a photo of the task at hand; so that you have no prior preparation or visions, you just read the challenge, then with your resources see what you can come up with. As for format, I would say 50mm no matter which format you shoot, but if you don't own a 50mm, then use whatever is closest, but you must peg your lens on that setting if its not a prime; no zooming for composition. All zooming must be done with your feet. </p>

<p>I'd just like to say that I really like this idea. I'm often driven by No Words to step outside my area of expertise (if you can call it that) and create a contribution that didn't previously exist. As a direct result I've been exposed to many genres of photography that would have otherwise remained foreign. The idea of limiting equipment and environment serve as the "challenge", which shouldn't be confused with <em>contest</em>. The prize for participation isn't a trophy or ribbon but the satisfaction of doing it and maybe learning something along the way.</p>

<p>I also like that you've included a certain degree of flexibility into the challenge. Not everyone has precisely the equipment or environment needed to participate. Again, I think the spirit of the challenge isn't necessarily in conforming to the strict details but rather reading the objective and then using what you have to meet the objective as closely as possible. To me, the most important part of this is to NOT use something you already have but to create something new based on the challenge presented.</p>

<p>I'm wondering out loud whether or not I can use the shot I intended for the NW thread that was closed while I was crawling around in my back yard on my hands and knees for two hours? </p>

<p>Just kidding... I'm going out to get something fresh :) Might even take my FTn with me, there's a half-roll of Acros in there that needs to get used up and processed.</p>

<p>Jeff said it beautifully. The intention of the thread is to take an ordinary lens in an ordinary setting and challenge yourself to come up with an extraordinary capture. Jeff, since I know you took your previous photo after the NWF post, I'd still like to see it, especially if it required you to crawl around on your hands and knees. Post one today and another tomorrow.</p>

<p>True 50mm, 50mm equivalent, one post or many, I don't really care. I like the idea of making people get out and do something that maybe they normally wouldn't. One thing that would differentiate this thread some others is that it is not specific to any camera manufacturer or to any format (except maybe to exclude point and shoot cameras that may not have a 50mm setting). Personally, my 50mm lens has been feeling a bit neglected since the 75mm equivalence is not really a good focal length for me. It was also nice to go out with only one lens this morning and not worry that I might be missing a shot because I didn't have something wider or something longer. A bit liberating I would say.</p>

<p>For my shot, I didn't have much time before having to leave for work and the light wasn't that great since it was 930 in the morning, so I decided to try a little chiaroscuro. I went outside to look for some interesting shadows and light and found some nearby crape myrtle trunks that fit the bill quite nicely, I think.</p><div>00XAip-274117684.jpg.1cdc219c43bc6e4636a042faf1be7eba.jpg</div>

<p>okay then,<br>

Since my photo is<br>

1. In the spirit of this "contest", i.e. restricting yourself to one focal length i.e. 50mm ;<br>

2.The photo was taken just the last weekend;<br>

3.I chanced upon this thread just yesterday;<br>

And based on the OK I received above, I am submitting my 50mm entry :-)<br>

My "new" :-) (second hand) Nikon FM2N, 50mm, Kodak Ultra Max 400.</p><div>00XAjm-274129584.jpg.e8b0072d72f3c4eb536de644c5f775f4.jpg</div>

<p>[sorry, edit window timed out] It's NOT okay to post something you took last week. On the contrary, it was specifically stated that the photo MUST be taken AFTER reading this thread. That truly is the whole point of this challenge. I can't speak for Nathan but I don't think his use of "Okay" to begin his response was meant to imply permission.</p>

<p>Posting photos you took an hour before reading this thread, yesterday, last week, or last year is precisely what No Words is for.</p>

<p>Jeff,<br />I know its not a contest. That why i wrote "contest". </p>

<p>Nathan,<br>

May I request you to kindly delete my posts and the picture from this thread ? Its been a while since I uploaded it, and I can't delete it now. <br>

Sorry for posting and misinterpreting your response.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Venkat P.</p>

<p>It's alright Venkat. I don't have the authority to delete it and at least you told us the circumstances and informed us that it was taken last week. I would prefer that everyone not do this, but I appreciate that you didn't try to pass the photo off as if it were taken today. If you can, try to get out and take another and post it after you develop the roll.</p>