50mm Challenge

<p>Jeff,<br>

Great shot there.<br>

Wanted to go out today, being Sunday, free time n all, but its been raining incessantly all afternoon and evening. Its monsoon here in India. Lets see when I manage to make some time during the week and if the rain permits.<br>

ciao,<br>

Venkat P.</p>

<p>I will be completely in favour of this thread if you make it regular; I think its great. Its particularly interesting to have to shoot AFTER the posting is made (ie people can't prepare for the post). My only thought is that you should close the thread after a week so that the window is limited.</p>

<p>Will it be 50mm every week or will you mix it up to keep up on our toes? I'd equally like to see a 24mm challenge... a 180mm challenge... a flash-lit challenge... a 1 second exposure challenge...</p>

<p>May be worth you chatting to the Wednesday Pic thread originators in the Nikon and Canon forums; they run very successful threads which have good community spirit, participation norms and therefore not too heavy need for moderation.</p>

<p>I am thrilled to see all this interest in the thread, but there aren't a whole lot of actual photos up yet. I would love this to be a regular thread, but we'll need more photos to keep it going strong. I know its still early in the week and no matter what happens I will still have a new challenge this weekend and hopefully it will pick up steam each week. As for the challenges, I will mix them up. They won't always be focal length specific. I will try to come up with a particular challenge or technique that will take most photographers out of their element and push them to try new things. Again, hopefully more photos will surface as the week progresses. If you like this idea be sure to post to it to keep it alive.</p>

(I have to say I don't like Minolta 50 mm f/1.7 for unplanned use as its minimum focus distance is more than Minolta 35 mm f/2; is not a macro lens; manual focus is hard due to short throw; and is shorter than Tamron 90 mm f/2.8. Thought of selling it has started to germ. Whew. Now ... )

A couple displays carrots of unusual proportions along with usual vegetables & fruits.<div>00XCI3-275577584.jpg.19247996a443e0c0b6d6267ea7ecedbc.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Nathan,</p>

<p>I hope that this entry will be satisfactory. It was not taken in my back yard but rather just a few paces from a work location. Also, it was taken with a zoom lens, but I managed to set the focal length to exactly 50 mm.</p>

<p>For those who will examine the photo closely, I apologize in advance for the nasty words written on some of the hats. I didn't notice them when I was shooting.</p>

<p>Canon 5DmkII, 24-105 f/4 L IS, ISO 200, 1/80s @ f/8,<br /> Auto White Balance, Picture Style: Standard, IS was engaged</p><div>00XCZt-275877584.jpg.58bbae11c21f6fec1362ffff4c626f30.jpg</div>