40D discontinued?

jennifer_r2

<blockquote>

<p>The 40D was introduced in 2007 and not even a year later the 50D already replaced it. No more new 40D's.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yep, and probably the 50D will be upstaged with a 55D in the fall: 18.1 friggen MP, HD video, GPA enhancer, pheromone emitters and built-in direct upload buttons to FaceBook and uTube</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<blockquote>

<p>The 40D was introduced in 2007 and not even a year later the 50D already replaced it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not really.</p>

<p>Chuck Westfall very explicitly stated that the 50D was not a "replacement" for the 40D (he described it as "the 40D's big brother"), and Canon's 50D press release stated that the 40D would remain in the Canon line-up after the 50D's release.</p>

<p>The big brother statement was obviously made to apeace folks who had just bought a 40D and were going bunkers because their brand new camera was superseded, and thus "became obsolete", within a year. I didn't think anybody would believe it, but I've just been proven wrong.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Chuck Westfall very explicitly stated that the 50D was not a "replacement" for the 40D (he described it as "the 40D's big brother"), and Canon's 50D press release stated that the 40D would remain in the Canon line-up after the 50D's release.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That was nearly a year ago and times are a changin'. Like all Canon cameras, the 40D is not a permanent product and will be bidding us farewell once stock is gone. Its 18 months is now up...</p>

- Robert Hunter

<blockquote>

<p>pheromone emitters</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I would think this would work even better than really loooong white lenses.</p>

<p>Where do I line up, but will it now be a 60D or a 50D mark ii?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I would think this would work even better than really loooong white lenses."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Since when have DSLR toting technogeeks seriously attracted booty with long white lenses? They're about as sexy as toting an external hardrive and baby change bag, while riding a Segway.<br>

No wonder Canon are putting in pheronmone emmitters.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Since when have DSLR toting technogeeks seriously attracted booty with long white lenses? They're about as sexy as toting an external hardrive and baby change bag, while riding a Segway.<br />No wonder Canon are putting in pheronmone emmitters.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sometimes if you show them your Elf, you gain amazing social proof and women just wanna be with you. When I hang at the mall, women often ask about the cute little camera. "Are you digital?" "Ah," gulp, "I wouldn't dare do that, I'm happily married." Some of them can't resist and gently caress the stainless steel skin. One woman fingered my rear LCD while gazing longingly at my Canon. In contrast, my EOS 5D and EF 200 2.8L USM make women uncomfortable and run away. So, carry a Digital Elf and women will be suddenly and strangely attracted to you.</p>

- Robert Hunter

<p>I had been looking at the 40D for quite a while, and a few weeks ago I popped into the camera store to pick up a few minor odds and ends.<br>

While I was there, I also found out that the 40D was 'discontinued'. I looked at the store stock *1 body only, and 2 with kit lenses.<br>

Hehe, I asked what kind of deal i could get if I purchased a 40D, and was very surprised at just what kind of price they were willing to let me have it at.<br>

I pulled the trigger right there. I don't need a video camera, but I do need the faster FPS that the 40D offers.<br>

All in all, I am happy that I found a new 40D at a price which is rivaling the used prices with many clicks on them.<br>

Long story short, yup, the 40D is being discontinued.<br>

Cheers,<br>

Glenn</p>

<p>I'm not aware that since a new camera model is on the market my old one suddenly starts taking bad pictures. I love my 5D and 40D. The new and improved models won't give me better results for what I shoot (weddings and sports). Having video capability does not entice me and my customers can't tell the difference between megapixel count anymore when I present them with an album. Maybe I am missing something throughout all the marketing hype, but I'm not fretting either. My longer term investment was in quality glass. I'll replace my cameras when I absolutley have to. Enjoy what you have until it wears out IMO.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I disagree with Frederick. The 40D's LCD screen is horrible! It is really silly that it is that poor in quality</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The "problem" (not that I consider to be one) is with the preview jpeg used, which is low res.</p>

<p>In fact, in terms of resolution, the 40D's screen is as good as the monitor you're reading this on. </p>

<p>If you shoot RAW, just whack the in-camera sharpness as high as it'll go, pick a "poppy" Picture Style, and crank the screen brightness up: the camera will apply the sharpness and Picture Style settings to the preview jpeg, and it'll look fine. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>That was nearly a year ago and times are a changin'.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well nobody's disputing that, but <em>the fact remains</em> that the 50D did not "replace" the 40D.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The big brother statement was obviously made to apeace folks who had just bought a 40D and were going bunkers because their brand new camera was superseded, and thus "became obsolete", within a year. I didn't think anybody would believe it, but I've just been proven wrong.<br /> </p>

</blockquote>

<p>When you're Canon's official voice, Frank, I'll worry about what you believe. Until then, you're entitled your opinion, and I'm entitled to wonder why you wasted the time typing it, because your "insight" is just an inanity, really - you know <em>nothing</em> about Canon's thinking here.<br>

I'll just add that anyone who believes that when a new camera is released their old camera becomes defunct overnight, is a tool.</p>

<p>UPS just set one down at my front door yesterday. I forget if I got it through Adorama or J&R--but I got it for $850.</p>

<p>This is new territory for me, since I have been shooting full-frame since 2006 (the only exception being an XTi that I owned briefly). I just bought the 40D because I picked up a second hand but pristine Sigma 300 f/2.8 for about $1500 and I wanted to stretch out the effective focal length using the crop sensor to get some shots of BIF. (I also bought a Sigma 1.4X TC.)</p>

<p>I would have gone with the 50D instead of the 40D but I just didn't see any real advantage in the RAW comparisons shown on dpreview.com--and perhaps a disadvantage at high ISO. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/page25.asp</p>

<p>I will always wonder why Canon jumped all the way from 10 MP to 15 MP in that line. I think that 12 MP might have been the sweet spot for that sensor, all things considered--as the XSi shows (I am told) in the Digital Rebel series.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p> </p>

The 40D was introduced in 2007 and not even a year later the 50D already replaced it. No more new 40D's.

Yep, and probably the 50D will be upstaged with a 55D in the fall: 18.1 friggen MP, HD video, GPA enhancer, pheromone emitters and built-in direct upload buttons to FaceBook and uTube

Hehehe, but still no mirror lock-up button!

<p>I saw Canon 60D listed in Camera Rumors. Regardless, the 40D was a great camera and had lots of problems. Hunt's Camera had a newsletter reporting it had the "replacement 40D's" - there was some kind of shutter problem.<br>

As to comments from B&H, the skuttlebutt around New Jersey iis that they are in financial trouble. The 40D may be one of the items Canon is accepting as returned mechandise to help B&H survive the economic situation we find ourselves in. </p>

<p>I knew that B&H was losing money on each transaction, but I figured that they made it up on volume.</p>

<p>Seriously, how could those guys be in financial trouble, given the sheer volume of their sales, unless they are sitting on a giant inventory that they can't move but owe money for?</p>

<p>Count on the 60D to bring low light, high ISO capabilities to the crop sensor cameras. Or are they just going to pack more pixels on there and ask us to ignore the noise?</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>