127 special from Maco

murray_kelly

Been looking for something reasonable for my Yashica-44 but 127 is now uncommon

and quite expensive and I found this:

http://macodirect.de/filme-maco-c-1_6_119.html

Reduced from 19E now. Go deeper into the site where Maco are offering the UP100

in 127 dated Jan/08 for 16.80 euros for 10 rolls.

There is a minimum order of 40E so I got 30 rolls and w postage to Australia it

came to 61E (AU$100 - US$90 - 40 quid). A roll at $3ea is the same or less than

I've seen empty 127 reels offered for on e-bay.

I don't subscribe to the belief that film dies at midnight on the last day of

expiry month. I'll freeze it anyway.

Murray

Brisbane, Oz

The problem with all roll films will be the backing paper in time. It will stick to the film emulsion and therefore it's NOT recommended to stock these films over a longer time, even not in the freezer or the fridge.

However about 2 years over the date will not give any problems. These 127 films were in 2003/2004 the latest production runs in Croatia (Fotokemika). The quality of their backing paper is less then e.g. Fuji, Ilford, Kodak or even Foma. One of the reasons it's also not very wise to stock their 120 roll films (Efke 25-50-100) over a very long time.

Enjoy your Yashica-44 as long as you can!

best regards,

Robert

Robert, thanks for the thoughts. You say the film is Efke? Even better! :-)

I certainly do expect to enjoy the Y-44. This is my second Y-44. The first cost me $25 in 1963 - brand new. My plan is to have the film vacuum packed in smaller lots and freeze that way. Hopefully its life will extend to more than mine. 71 yo and counting.

I have never seen a warning that film/backing paper will adhere altho I must admit it seems possible but unlikely. At the price - who cares? The thin backing paper problem I have seen ascribed to other films too, I think, but the counter window shuts down on the Y-44 anyway and once the film is at '1' one expects the winder to look after the frame spacing.

What I will keep looking for is bulk 46mm stock. now that's a hard ask! I can reload 'till my heart's content if I can find that at a reasonable price! Mind you, 30 rolls will last a loooooong time with all the 35mm cameras here.

Just thought it helpfull to post a resource for guys with 127 cameras but no pointers to cheap film. Get in a group and stock up.

Cheers

Murray

Sure, it's just that you are aware about a possible problem in some years.

Fotokemika is about the only place who made 127 films. UP100 B&W is the Efke 100 emulsion.

About the C41 film I am not sure but Efke made the packing and cutting.

Working the way around in your Yashica-44 it will not be any problem, also not with rather thin backing paper.

Best regards,

Robert

(Dutch Rollei/Maco (and more) distributor)

http://www.FotohuisRoVo.nl

If you have spools and backing paper you can send them to Film For Classicsin upstate NY. They can load Kodak Imagelink HQ and FS films in 127 size for you. I think they will have something like a 10 roll minimum. The Imagelink films lack the odd spectal sensitivity of the old Technical Pan but still have the high sharpness and extremely fine grain. If you want to wrestle with it you can get some nice results.