Scala 200 @ ISO 100 vs ISO 200 - Normal Processing

I shot a roll of 120 format Scala and found the images are not very

sharp and the grains are visible.

I wonder what the best ISO rating is for Scala. If I shoot Scala at

ISO 100 and have it processed normally (without any compensation) by

ColorRelections (in Florida), what difference is it going to make?

I intend to shoot some portraits of a girl this weekend and will

appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

I use 120 format SCALA quiet a lot. The film is normally processed at DORMOLEEN at Hamburg/Germany. It is said that they have developed the process for Agfa initially. The SCALA seems to be an AGFAPAN 400 with clear base. I shoot SCALA rated ISO200 to ISO800, depending on my needs. I have never used ISO100.

For 120 format rated ISO200, there is very, very little grain visible on the light table, when examined with a 5x loupe. The film itself is very sharp and it is contrasty. It is easy to underexpose this film, interesting for a slide film. When exposed to ISO800, a little bit more grain will apear, but nothing realy critical. The contrast will go up, however. ISO800 is usable and is not much difference from ISO200, except contrast. Any B&W slide process will provide more grain than a negative process, because you have to develop long. For 35mm you might get a decent RODINAL look.

"I shot a roll of 120 format Scala and found the images are not very sharp and the grains are visible."

Are you sure about the processing?

My experince with Scala has been very nice: sharp and excellent detail. No problem with grain at 200.

I used Mayer Lab in Germany and they did Excellent job with Scala.

Maybe try some other lab?

"Well save all you have last production run of the 120 was last month. all 35 mm will fe finished second 1/4 of 2006"

Larry, where did you get this information from?

I asked this question from my local Agfaphoto office and also from Mayer lab, Germany. They told me that Agfa hasn't stopped producing Scala and it is available in the future, at least 2006.

Pulled at ISO100, Scala gets muted and loses its snap and sparkle. This film has a gorgeous tonal range at ISO200-400. Grain? What grain? The big "if" with Scala is processing. Canada lost its only Scala line on Sept. 6. I love the stuff but can't see buying more if processing rivals Kodachrome for difficulty and delays. This should kill it off quick.

Mikko

I got it from Agfa. Here is the mail I got from them

I wrote to Agfa and requested the future line of of films they will produce. This is the reply

Dear Larry,

Scala 120 will be phased out this year. Scala 135-36 will be phased out during 2006. AgfaPhoto will continue to produce the following 35 mm films: Agfacolor Vista 200 & 400, Agfacolor Optima Prestige 100, 200 & 400, Agfacolor Portrait 160, Agfachrome RSX 100, Agfachrome Precisa 100 and Agfapan APX 100 & 400.

APS: AgfacolorAPSstar 200.

Sincerely, John Auer AgfaPhoto USA Corporation Agfa@ezaccess.net

----- Original Message ----- From: <inetjoker@zzzzzz.zzz> To: <agfa@ezaccess.net> Sent: Friday, August 26, 2005 10:36 PM Subject: agfaphoto-067545 WWW-request (agfanet}

Sorry I should have read my years. 2006 it will be gone. Next year it will be gone ...

Larry<div>00Dceo-25744084.jpg.c331130807af3fd3a27ef677f213bef1.jpg</div>