Xtol- Diluted Dev. Times/ Partially Mixed Batches

gmc

Being totally new to film developing, I have a couple of questions

for the more experienced. My first choice in developer was Xtol

(powder). I have read in other posts that many chose to dilute Xtol

to a ratio of 1:3 long as the 100 ml of straight stock is used. I

guess my first question is, what would be an approx. developing time

at this dilution? Is the dilution linear in terms of time?

My next question is why the 2.6-ounce bag tapped to the larger bag?

One is marked ?A? and the other ?B?. And is there any simple way to

separate the powder for partial batches without having to mix the

entire 1.32 gallons?

T.I.A.

gmc

In no particular order, you must mix the whole 5 liters at once.

The best plan is to have 5 one liter glass bottles in which to store the stock solution.

As to the dilution, I would recommend starting with 1:1 dilution and see how you like it.

Kodak has offcially withdrawn its recommendations for dilutions greater than 1:1, i.e. 1:2

or 1:3. This was due to many reported problems at those dilutions, which may have been

due to water quality or to users not regarding the 100ml stock per roll standard set by

Kodak.

Since you're new to processing, the reason that problem arises is that at greater dilutions

you run into tank capacity limitations at the higher dilutions, especially with Jobo

processors.

Personally, I've seen no advantage to greater dilutions than 1:1, although there are many

vocal supporters of higher dilutions who will dispute that.

For development times, see http://www.digitaltruth.com

According to Kodak's instructions, you should completely dissolve part A before mixing in part B. I haven't tried it any other way and I don't know the rationale, I'm just parroting what's on the Kodak website:

1. Start with an amount of water that is approximately 75 percent of the total volume indicated on the package. See the table above. The water should be at normal room temperature, about 65 to 85?F (18 to 30?C).

2. With stirring, slowly add Part A. Stir until the powder is completely dissolved. At this point, the solution may appear somewhat tawny or copper-colored. This is normal.

3. Continue stirring, and slowly add Part B. Stir until the powder is completely dissolved. The coppery tint will clear from the solution as you add Part B.

4. Add water to bring the final solution to 1, 5, or 50 litres.

Stir until the solution is uniform.

Besides, it's kinda fun to watch the solution clear as you add part B...

I've heard that some people have mixed XTOL in half the recommended volume (e.g. 2.5 liters vs. 5) with no problems. Just be sure you take this into account when diluting to working strength.

- Robert

"<i>In no particular order...</i>"<p>That's very misleading. Robert has the procedure correct.<P>I believe it was because people couldn't follow simple directions EG: 100 mls of stock per roll of 35/120 or 200 mls of stock per roll of 220 no mater what the final dilution that caused Kodak to pull their suggested times for 1+2 and 1+3.<P>Another puzzler is why you would mix the stock into 2.5 liters instead of the suggested 5 liters -- people just want to be rebels I guess.<p>You can get the processing times out of an older Kodak XTOL J-109 pdf. (email or post if you need one).<P>And separating the powder? Bad idea! What I suggest you do is get 5 good clean glass one liter bottles with proper caps. Label, date, fill right to the <U>very</u> top, cap and store in a cool dark location. Completely use one bottle before opening the next. They should last AT LEAST 6 months.

Here's a link to the XTOL unofficial resource page:

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/xtol/

and a link to the current Kodak pdf that still contains the 1+3 times and the 1+5 times for Technical Pan. They are in German, because it is on the Kodak Germany web site. 'Entwicklung in der Dose' refers to developing roll film in tanks and 'Entwicklung in der Schale' refers to developing sheet film in trays.

http://wwwfr.kodak.com/AT/plugins/acrobat/de/professional/xtolEntwickler.pdf

Best, Helen

The link to Covington inovations describes a clip test to detitmine activity of the developer. I had a batch mixed with all the recommendations that was less than a week old. A clip test was totally sucessful. Threw out the used developer and opened a new 4 oz bottle from the same batch that was a failure. Kodak confirmed to me there is NO way for a home user to verify the activity level. The problem seems to be the the package was beyond the two year shelf life. It was not dated and disolved easily with no clumping. Simply old! That was the last straw after returning many packs 1 liter size for replacement. Replacements were always graciously made with an extra pack for the postage.

Thanks so much for the information! You guys are awesome. So much to learn and so little time. I explored the links and found exactly what I needed for dev. times. I'm sure it will take some experimenting but at least I have a place to start. The partial batches are out of the question, sounds like I need to invest in some glass 1-L. bottles. I'm sure there will be many more questions to come, and I think everyone who replied. Certainly a lot of valuable information and I appreciate it.

Regards,

gmc