Best B+W film for 12x18 enlargements?

Any number of slower speed films. I have some prints done with Tri-X in Microdol 1:3 that are 16x20 and look very good, even upon close inspection. It is a question of How fast a film you need? How closely they will be viewed? Also bear in mind that the developer in which they are souped can make almost as much difference as the film itself.

jandcphoto.com:

Efke KB25, developed either in Rodinal or Neofin Blue which they also sell. Trust me on this, I've had quite a bit of success with it this month, very fine. Check my 'grain' folder for examples.

12x18 is a very nice, and also a very interesting, size. You don't really need a super fine grain film, but you will need your pictures to be taken with an excellent lens, as this is the size where imperfections begin to be quite noticable. Agfa APX100, Ilford HP4+, Ilford XP2, Kodak TMax100, or Kodak Plus X are all quite suitable. You should use either prime lenses, or very high quality zooms.

cm or inches? What format of negative?

I've been thrilled with the 11x14 inch enlargements I've gotten out of 35mm Ilford Delta 100 of late, and in truth, Fomapan 100, despite its more obvious grain, has a lovely tonality that works at this size.

Any good sub-ISO-400 film is going to perform well at this size, and most 400-speed films are going to be decent, too. If you can step up to medium format or large format, you can shoot whatever film you want.

I have made 12x18 full frame prints from 35mm negs using Txp[old]

and Hp5+ film. You can make very good prints this size if the neagatives are great; sharp, corectly exposed, and coreectly developed. If you are using good glass and proper technique these

"high" speed films can be used. I have 3 prints this size hanging in

an expensive restaurant near my home. Remember proper viewing distance is the length of the diagonal of the image.

What film format are you using? If 35mm, then what Lex said will probably work for you. Use any commonly available film of ISO 125 or slower and you'll be doing about as well as you can. A good prime lens (forget most zooms)and a rock steady tripod are essential if you want to make a print this big. Take all the usual precautions like using a cable release and either pre-firing or locking the mirror in the up position.

With medium format or larger your choice of film becomes much less critical, but all the other precautions are still required for the best quality.

For outdoors photos I use 35mm TMX-100 in XTOL 1+1.

I have very nice 11x14 prints from this combination.

Be aware that TMX-100 needs good exposure and is very strict on the developing process used. If you are careful with the developing process, this should work very well. (It doesn't mean other films are not good). I like the rich tones in this film.

As for grain, in a personal test I made on films, I found Fuji Neopan-100 to have very fine grain (looked to me slightly finer than TMX-100), just the tones were not to my liking.

Also, nice tones I found in Agfa APX-100.

I used D76 1+1 as well as D76 1+1.

Hope this helps,

Viorel