F1N expensive to repair!

psul_aul

Well, I got the repair estimate on my F1N, (see my earlier post), and

it was not pretty.

$370 to replace the advance mechanism, and the electronic control for

the shutter (he used a technical name for this part and I don't

remember it). He also said that the price would include a CLA, and

that they were doing the work in house, not sending it out.

He said parts were the biggest expense as Canon no longer supplies

them. They have to be got from 3rd parties who bought them when

Canon cleared their warehouse.

Anyway, does this sound like a reasonable price for this kind of

work? Their repair tech. does have a good reputation, but it is still

a lot of money.

As always, any input is appreciated!

Thanks

Paul

It seems expensive indeed. I had a similar problem with my F1N last year. I took it to the Canon Service Center in Jamesburg NJ. They have a maintenance package for the F1N (which they still service and will continue to serve for "some more years" according to the technician) that runs for about $220. It includes a CLA. They did a very good and clean job. And it's Canon. Although they might not supply F1N parts to other repair shops, they are apparently keeping them for themselves.

Anyway my recommendation is get them to fix your camera. Even if you buy another one (whichever price you pay for it) you'll probably want to do a CLA on it, which will cost you the same price than this repair.

I chose not to send the camera to Canon because the general consensus is that Canon no longer services this camera.

I went to a local camera shop, Benner's Camera in Brockton Mass, and had them look at it. They have a decent repair man working for them and that was the estimate they gave me for repairs.

I guess I am a bit uncomfortable with the number being so high. I am trying to determine if $370 is at least close to the going rate for this type of repair. The camera is worth more than this, that I know, so the repair is worth it in terms of the value of the camera. I just want to know I am paying a fair price.

Jerome,

Do you have an address or phone number for the Canon repair center you mentioned?

I guess, I should hear it straight from them if they don't service the F1N anymore. And, if they do in fact still work on them, maybe I can save $100.

Thanks

370 seems like a lot, but I would not expect it to be less than 100 dollars. Repairing is a

fairly intense task. The repair guy I use (Geoff Keller in Santa Barbara -- he's great) said

that most technicians who have been working awhile are very familiar with the F1 -- it was

one of THE standards, and it is almost entirely mechanical, so it will never be impossible to

repair (unlike the T90). He has charged me about 60 dollars for minor repairs (hammering

out a dented part that was crimping the frame counter and fixing a weak contact). CLA is

something like 125. I would send it to Canon...370 seems a bit pricey, but with parts and

more intensive labor I suppose it could be accurate.

I spent less than US $60 apiece for CLAs on my A-1 and AT-1. $370 sounds too high for a

repair -- it sounds as if the guy just doesn't want to do the work and is pricing the job too

high so he doesn't have to turn you down.

You should look around for a recommended Canon tech, not just some local guy. The

archives here have discussions about people who do CLAs.

Paul,

Here's the contact for Canon:

Canon U.S.A., Inc.

New Jersey Factory Service Center

100 Jamesburg Road

Jamesburg, NJ 08831

(732) 521-7007

They'll definitely tell you first hand whether they still do this or not. Good luck!

I just called Canon at the number Jerome gave me, and the customer service rep. told me that Canon no longer services the F1N.

She did say that parts should still be readily available from Canon or other sources, but I would have to take the camera to an independant shop for repair.

So, that leaves me back where I am. $370 from my local guy. I may talk to him today and see if there is any flexibility in that price.

I don't mind paying if it is a fair price for the work. I just want to make sure I can't get it done for less somewhere else.

If I were to have my F1N repaired locally here in New York, the first place I'd stop would be Nippon Camera, which is pretty good at handling modern Japanese cameras. If they didn't think they could do it, I'd send it to Frank Marshman at CameraWiz in Harrisonburg, VA, 1-800-471-8133. His turnaround time can be kind of long during busy times of the year, but he always does fine work at a fair price and can handle a wide range of problems and equipment.

You have repair issues and you are throwing on a CLA too. Thats why its 370 estimate. I would skip the repair and get another body instead, one that needs no damage repaired. Get an AE finder model if yours FN finder. I agree your broken body is worth at least $100. More if its AE finder outfitted. Unless its a brassy and well used body, then a bit less in value. Lindy

I don't know if you're still checking for answers, but...

$370 sounds incredibly high for repair (as others have noted,

you can buy another F-1N in good working condition for less

than that). As evidence, Abilene Camera Repair, which I've never

used but has merited only good comments on this site, offers a

"complete refurbishment" (dismantling, inspection, replacement

of any worn or problematic parts) of the F-1N, for $350 (and their

"gold" and "silver" services are lower than that).

Also, I've had minor repairs done on my F-1N at my local place,

Morgantown Camera Repair. Both times, the repair was under a

$100. They do a mail-order repair business as well, and are on

the web at http://www.mcvr.com.

Good luck!

Paul,

I was surprised by the result of your inquiry. I called Canon (the number I gave you) and after a little while they told me that there are still servicing the F1N. You have to be clear about the 'N' part, usually they know work by the max film speed, which is different between F1N and F1n. The price is $206 for std repair/CLA.

I'd try again! Sometime the person who answers unfortunately doesn't know much about these older cameras (she thought it was a Powershot at first...)

Jerome,

Thanks for calling Canon and digging into it a litte. The rep I talked to was pretty abrubt and certain that they did not work on the F1N any more.

I decided to leave the camera at the shop I took it to. I feel a little frustrated with the high price but I called a few places I found on the net and the average seemed to be $200 for a CLA and then more for any replaced parts.

The shop told me that the linkage between the film advance lever and the shutter cocking mechanism is broken. So, for the $370 they will replace the part and do a CLA. Again, I am not happy with the price, but I was into these guys for $50 for their initial diagnosis anyway, and they are local so if I have problems I can go right back to them.

Thanks for all the input guys.

-Paul

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone interested, I have the camera back and it is perfect working order. They did as promised, a complete CLA and replacement of the broken part. It is cleaner than it has been in years.

It was a frustrating experience, taking two weeks longer than promised to get the job done. They said they had a hard time locating the part for it ...

Anyway, it is done and I enjoy using the camera, but I am beginning to wonder if it is time to move to some more modern gear.