Walmart Slide Processing

Where I live (Terrace, B.C. Canada) there isn't much in the way of

photography. There are two quality labs here and a handful of cheap

ones. The thing is, none of the quality labs process slide film (or

B&W film), they have to send it to Victoria and it took 3 weeks the

last time but they usually take 2 weeks.

But, we just got a Walmart, and I've heard that they develope slide

film, and, if they do, does anyone know if they do it well? I know

each store is different, and I can say that the prints I've had done

at the Walmart here (as a test) were AWFUL. Would it even be worth

checking out or should I find a place somewhere near here I could

mail to for better results and hopefully only around 1 week before I

get them back.

The thing is, if I can't get slides developed around here, I'm

switching to digital, which I don't want to do but pretty much have

to because of wide-angle issues. I love slides, I've only shot one

roll of them but I'm already in love, looking at them with my 50mm

lens through a window, they're so chrisp and the colors so saturated,

I love them, and want to shoot them and buy a slide scanner.

Any opinions/help is greatly appreciated.

A small professional lab which I have used for years. Personal, outstanding attention to quality, etc: PHOTOCRAFT 771 WEST 400 NORTH OREM, UTAH 84057 (801) 225-2624 E-6 processing is $6.50 for a 36 exp. roll.

They also do outstanding printing: Ilfochromes, digital photo paper and giclee, black and white, and Duratrans.

As the others said- Wal-Mart sends it through Qualex. I've used Qualex a lot and found the slide processing fine. Never noticed any problems with ones coming back. They even still accept Kodachrome. But you may feel more comfortable sending to a pro lab. Lens and Shutter's Custom Color lab is good. There are other labs in Vancouver as well.

As for bad photos done at your Wal-Mart there, I would go back with the order you got done and ask them to redo it. And explain what exactly you felt was wrong with it. Sometimes printers don't know exactly what look your prefer, and if its just a bad job over-all, you have the right to get it done over again. If it happens again- talk to the manager. If no success, then skip that lab there on in.

Oh Steve- just noticing another thread of yours. Walmart in Canada uses Noritsu equipment and Kodak materials. Its in the US Walmarts that use Fuji Frontiers and Fuji materials.

Your lab may or may not now be using a digital printer Noritsu. You'll have to ask. If its not now, it probably wont be too long before they get a new machine.

The outlab that WalMart uses might do a good job. Try sending a test roll to see how they do. You wont be able to push or pull film, and you might not be able to ask for them not to mount or cut the film.

If you demand perfection, don't send it there.. And of course, I will recommend my lab. =)

http://www.calypsoinc.com/

( if your shots are nature/landscape/travel photography the price will be a bit less. $5.75 for a roll mounted, and $4.90 unmounted.. Otherwise it will $9.00 for a 36ex. roll mounted)

Yes you can test Qualex for their slide processing and see how you like it. You can request with them to no mount the slides if wanted. Now my question to others is this: Why in thw world would a Canadian send work south of the border for an extra cost in doing so, if the same work can be done here in BC? Custom Color in Vancouver uses a Kodak LED digital printer at 250 dpi. Im not sure if they are now using the 300dpi option or not.

http://www.customcolorprolab.com/

Did you write earlier on a related question? Custom Colour, ABC Photocolour, Lens and Shutter all run good labs in Vancouver. Their "processing included" slide film deals beat any price you'll get in the USA.

ABC is a personal favourite. They can do it all: colour reversal printing, internegatives, Noritsu digital, Lightjet, wide format inkjet. They have a nice FTP service so you can upload scanned, profiled and manipulated files with printing instructions. Very professional outfit. I don't know how well any of these guys work through the mail...I lived a 15min walk away in Kits.

I don't know about Canada, but in the US, Fuji has the Wal-Mart contract. You can leave E-6 and K-14 film for processing. It's US$4.88 for 36 exposure mounted. The E-6 goes to the Fuji lab in Phoenix and the K-14 goes to Dwaynes in Parsons, KS. The sign says to allow two weeks, but the K-14 is being returned in approximately 10-12 days.

If the Wal-Mart people truly don't know where it is going, suggest you hang around the front/outside of the store around the cut-off time listed on the kiosk and see which van is double-parked. In Nashville, it's a white one that says "Fujicolor" down both sides!

At the places that send to Kodak (COSTCO, Eckard, CVS, Walgreens) it's a big yellow truck that says "Kodak/Qualex, Evansville, Indiana." Looks like a big beer truck with lots of sliding doors. Inside are tubs of processed film instead of beer!

Robert Johnson, me@robertejohnson.com

Nashville, TN

USA

Mike,

Sorry that the suggestion about looking for the truck doesn't work "north of the border"! Another suggestion would be to look at the envelope. In my part of the country, if the envelope is green and white, chances are it goes to Fuji no matter what the envelope reads. If it's yellow/red and advertises "perfect touch," then it will go to Kodak.

If the volume there is what it is here, then that contract person better have a good sized van. The daily volume sent out from a big Wal-Mart super center could end up being the size of a good sized postal mail bag! There are maybe four super centers, with another eight regular stores in the Nashville area. I'll have to stop in the local Eckerds and CVS just to see who they use! One Eckerds has a stand alone Photo unit that really pushes Kodak. Wolf/Ritz also has maybe eight local stores. One is an Ultra store that my employer uses for purchases. We get a better price, they get better ads rates!

Even the volume from the nearby Walgreens dictates that they use a newly installed Fuji Frontier 370! At the times I've noticed the Qualex film return, the driver has left two or three big tubs!

Robert Johnson