What computer will make me a better programmer?

freeside

So sad. Being a great programmer is not about the equipment - it's about the

lifestyle... the women, the parties, the celebrities, the drugs, the travelling to remote

exotic locales...

<p>

No, wait. That's being a famous fashion photographer. Sorry. Pizza, I see much

pizza in your future. Thin crust (it's been shown you cannot slide thick crust pizza

under a door).

If you want to be a great photographer, er, programmer, you have to start with the basics.

First, forget the books. Wimps let someone else figure stuff out for them first, the real Men & Women figure it out for themselves.

Next, get a fully manual camera, er, I mean computer, like a Nikon F or FM2. Whoops, I mean, like a slide rule, or an Abacus, or both.

While you're at it, get a COSMAC ELF or an ALTAIR. NAS applies just as well to computers (As my VAXstation 4000 will attest to...)

If you don't know how to use a slide rule, then tough. Figure it out. If you can understand a slide rule, you will suddenly also understand f/ stops too.

Burn lots of film, I mean paper tape. Unless you want to get into Medium Format, stay away from Hollerith Cards. That path leads to the big IBM mainframes and ToyoView's. Also, stay away from cassette tape recorders. That path leads in the opposite direction, to the APS Point & Shoots, or worse yet, to Kodak Disc cameras.

And don't listen to anyone's advice. Especially mine.