wedding. What a bummer!!Lets make him happy. How about 30 of us

pledge 100.00 apiece to Lin, making the pledge as a reply to this

thread. I am sure there are 30 people here who can afford 100.00 for

this cause. Remeber, this is not just a lost camera, but a loss which

can't help but effect his feeling at his wedding. Each of us can then

send directly to Lin the 100.00. I think this is agreat idea! I

pledge that I will send Lin 100.00 towards the loss of his

equipment.John Elder. P.S. Wengtong Lin, You are going to have to

make available you address. Best of luck!

I think this is a great idea. This is a community, albeit a weird one, and there's

a precedent around here for such kindnesses. However, I am nowhere near

fortunate enough to be able to pledge $100. I can't afford more than $10. Are

there nine other folks out there who will help make up one of the 30 hundred

dollar donors?

Actually, The Canon FD group on Yahoo got together and bought a FTb-n had it CLAed and engraved to the founder of the group the whole thing took less then a month for me to put together and complete. And yes I know the differance in value between an M6 and lens and a FTb-n.

But I wanted to point out the concept is not so unique.

Our group also raised over $350.00 in one weekend to buy and ship a bunch of film and personal items to one of our group members in the National Gaurd who was on active duty in Afganistan who found out once he got there that Velvia 50 was the WRONG film. He thought he was going to a bright desert and ended up in a very a country with a lot of UV light when the sun shines and the rest of the time cloudly and dim. He was able to hit the internet only three times once two months after disappearing from the group to tell us what had happened to him, And twice to thank use. We haven't heard back from him in three months he's still busy.

We put together the packages in less then a week which ended up setting him back up as well as his tent mate with film camera care items spare lens cap etc. He was able to give the 6 disposables we sent to guys who had no camera. They were then able to take pictures to send back to their families. The soap, tooth paste, gum, dental floss, wet ones, candy, etc. Was like a christmas gift to these guys.

SO there are other photo groups who are a community.

Just thought I should let you know.<div>007yn4-17565684.jpg.2764a0a89da4c8f990b6a4cd4524c10f.jpg</div>

John:

I thank you so very much but no, that's a crazy idea. As someone pointed it out, this will make me an internet beggar which I will hate to be one (please don't read the word "beggar" as a discriminatory term as I am a beggar myself but only in another dimension). Your thoughts of me are more than enough for me to bear and I will remember all of you and this event for life, promise.

And thanks for everyone else who pledged to donate. That's unbelievable and incredible at the same time. But please do not donate to me as I am really not in the position to need this.

If you really want to donate something, please donate to many organizations around the world that are fighting hungers and poverty. Or any humanitarian organizations or environmental organizations or...any organizations except NRA. I will be just as happy as I have gotten your money for knowing that you are thinking of me. That's really more than I can expect of you.

As I said this over and over, I am fortunate to have known all of you and I am comforted by the knowledge of so many caring people in this community. I am grateful and thankful to have the privilege to be a good friend of yours.

Thank you again for all the thoughts. You are already making me very happy and...very rich. Thank you!

Very classy, WenTong.

I believe people here are eager to comfort you, offer you temporary gear and suggestions as to how you might locate yours, and help you out because you seem very much like the kind of guy who would do the same, were the shoe on the other foot.

<p>WenTong, I'm very sorry to hear of your loss, particularly because your photos

(as shown here) are so good that they deserve the (expensive) best glass. It's

wonderful if you can borrow another Summilux, but if this doesn't work out

consider that f1.7 is only a squeak slower than f1.4 and that <a

href="http://makeashorterlink.com/?P39712408">Dennis Couvillion says</a> that

his photos with the CV Ultron 35/1.7 (which I guess costs very much less than the

Summilux) "definitely have that old Leica 'glow', similar to images taken with my

old 50mm Elmar screwmount lens".</p>

<i>or...any organizations except NRA</i>

<p>There are far worse organizations than the NRA. To me, my NRA and ACLU memberships are motivated by the same principles. I also just ponied up money to the John Kerry campaign - I must be quite an evil bloodthirsty person...

• 4 years later...