Rolleiflex 2.8GX

drolight

After a deal to buy a 2.8F fell through (the film advance crank

created quite a racket), I am now interested in buying a 2.8GX

(figuring that the operation would be much smoother). Thoughts on

where one could buy one used and how much they are worth used would

be greatly appreciated.

Patric

The 2.8F had presumably been CLA'd in April. The noise (squeeky) was so loud when I turned it that I had to send it back.

A GX for $1200 (including a prism)? Where was I for that deal? Wow! The prism brand new is about a $1000 by itself.

Seshu, they should be smooth as butter, aside from any paper rustling noise. Keep looking; it doesn't necessarily make sense to spring the extra dollars for a GX, if smooth feelings mechanicals are what you are after; the 1950s/1960s models are the best in that regard.

The GX does have the semi-spot TTL meter, which some people like...

Thanks Mani. I decided to shy away from the 2.8F or any model made before 1970 as repairing them over the long run is going to be expensive. A CLA can run about $150 easily. The guy who was selling me the 2.8F (which I had to return) claimed he had just done a CLA. If that's the condition after a CLA, imagine the clunkers out there that are masquerading as "classics."

In a flurry or bidding on eBay today, I plunked down the extra cash and bought the GX. My wallet is going to hurt a bit. And I hope KEH isn't selling those for less than what I paid for mine. That'll be a dinger.

I'll report back here with my experiences and of course examples of my work. Meanwhile, if any of you are interested in seeing some of my work surf out - http://www.pipalproductions.com. I also run a blog - TIFFINBOX - http://www.tiffinbox.org/

Thanks ya'll. :)

• 2 weeks later...