? re Voightlander 28 f3.5

Leslie, You're right, the CL does not have 28 framing. However I own a 28 viewfinder. My son currently has 1 lens , a 40 Cron-C, and I think the 28 would be the ideal wide angle lens for him. I own a 28 Elmarit

[last version]and it is big on the CL, not impossible, but big. Also I want him to have his own 28mm, as opposed to sharing. Thanks for your input.

I have the 28/3.5 and have used it a bit. It's a good lens, very compact. Contrast is high, and I don't have trouble with flare or ghosts as I did with the CV 35 (old-style) pancake. Color rendition is good. The focusing tab isn't my favorite thing in the world and it has no infinity lock (which some people think is a good thing). The aperture ring is rather large and sticks out a bit so it's fairly easy to accidentally change the aperture setting.

Sorry I haven't scanned any images from this lens yet so can't post one....

John,

I have the CV 28mm f/3.5 and have a lot of praise for it. I actually took an opportunity to trade the CV 28mm Ultron for the Color Skopar with no regrets. Small web images are never the best to evaluate a lens but I have attached one anyway where I have tried to show in focus elements across the entire frame. The edges, as might be expected, are a little soft but nothing I would take the effort to complaing about.

regardsd

Craig / Beijing<div>008bZr-18457684.jpg.feb87596037cbcdf5689dabd832c1215.jpg</div>

Happy with my CV wides. For small and light, they are the way to go.

Be sure it doesn`t go so deep it hits the metering flag or you will be sending it to Sherry or DAG for surgery.

In answer to the comment about vignetting, I would like to say all lenses vignette, normals and wides the most. The way around it partially is to make a retrofocus design, but then size increases dramatically. I had a 21 3.4 SA that vignetted til 16 or so. The 21 pre asph is much better in this reguard, but it grew in size a whole bunch. Still have my 21 & 28mm Leicas, but carry my CV 25 more.

Have a read through this. Its review I did when the lens first came out. There is even a picture of on on a CL as well of samples in extreme lighting to see test its limits. The new dual 28/35 mini finder will be ideal for use with this lens. It also gives you 35mm framelines which the CL doesnt have, all in the one finder!

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=004MLl

Please email me if you have any further questions.

This may seem like a broken record, but if one learns to estimate the field of view of a particular lens then he is free from the burden of carrying a bunch of expensive dedicated viewfinders and concern about lack of frames in the camera. Although I had long used a method employing similar principles (index marks on the frame of my eyeglasses), I recently learned from a poster to this forum about using a blank (empty) slide mount or a hole in a piece of cardboard, holding it in front of the eye at a distance equaling the focal length of the lens. Years ago when I first managed to afford a 28mm lens the only viewfinders available were hard to come by, expensive, and cumbersome. So I learned the amount of space to allow around the field of the built in Leica viewfinder. Obviously the method isn?t exact, but neither are the frames in the dedicated finders. And, they vary in coverage whether you are shooting at infinity or at close range. In my case, the frame placed at the end of my nose will show the field of the 35mm, halfway, the 28. I don?t tout this method as a perfect solution, but when it isn?t convenient to carry a whole bagfull of equipment it certainly provides a viable way to know what your image is going to cover.

I use the 25mm f/4 Skopar on my CL and I'm very happy with it. Velvia slides seem almost as sharp as the 40mm Summicron. OK, maybe not as sharp in the very corners. The 25mm comes with a viewfinder that is amazingly bright, but does not have a brightline frame. This finder is "fairly" accurate. The 25mm, though, does not have a focusing cam, so I simply use zone focussing guesstimates. "Snapshot" because of no cam and no brightline finder.