tripod and polarizer which I'll be bringing and I'll probably be

getting a ND Filter for the long shutter waterfall shots. Any other

filters or other things that can help bring out the beauty of these

areas? Should I get a ND Grad for sunset shots to bring out the

foreground or just work with what I have? Filters aren't exactly the

heaviest or most expensive thing out there so I can easily fit them

into my Pelican Case and my budget.

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

I strongly recommend an ND grad of good quality, like the Singh-Ray, in the Cokin filter

holder. Takes a bit of fiddling but allows fine control. I have a 2X and 3X and both get

occasional use, but are invaluable in many conditions.

You might be surprised if you think filters are inexpensive; the Singh-Ray ND grads are

about $100 each (US$).

The only filters I'd bring would be a circular polarizer (to tame the sky & surface reflections) and ND+4 to lower shutter-speed for those velvety waterfall shots.

Grad ND & warming filters are best done digitally in Photoshop. Specifically regarding grad ND, if you shoot RAW you can get 2-3 stops difference out of one image (+1,-1 or +1.5,-1.5) then combine them digitally. If you bracket shots from a tripod you can blend whatever exposure range you want.

I may sound like a broken record, but no single purchase can more improve your photography than a solid tripod that you use consistantly. If you want to shoot macro get a tripod that can go low, if you are particularly tall get one that meets your needs. A decent $100 tripod will do more for you than will an expensive camera.

That said, here's what's in my nature photography bag (other than camera and lenses):

Filters: Polarizer, 81B, ND, ND gradient

Foldable Reflectors-for lighting flowers and insects

Diffusers-to reduce harsh liht.

Macro slider

Lens shade

Remote shutter release

LOTS OF SLIDE FILM

Quick release system and ballhead for tripod.

There are other odds and ends, but that's the general idea.

The number one thing I can recommend is a wide angle prime lens. Just remember that you have a conversion factor of about 1.6 with digital. Personally, if I were shooting digital for my nature/landscapes I would want atleast a 16mm. The only other filter that hasn't been mentioned that I carry is a Rodenstock enhancing filter. It brings out the reds and browns without really affecting the other colors.

My two cents worth-

I've noticed that most people on this forum recommend that you carry 20 lbs of expensive gear with you when you hike. My advice is to give some serious thought as to why you're out there.

If you go hiking specifically to photography, then by all means, lug along that tripod and a view camera and whatever else floats your boat. You may not get more than two miles from the trailhead, but you'll have some pretty pictures out of it.

If, on the other hand, you are going to hike, minimize the equipment you bring. Leave that tripod and extra lens at home; skip the extra filters unless they are just really crucial. Yes, you will miss some shots, but you'll still have fun (maybe even more fun) hiking.

If you are getting up into the mountains very far, speed is safety; don't weigh yourself down, and don't take too long looking for or taking shots. Extra photo gear in your pack means a sweater or other gear you can't carry.

Give some thought to your hiking buddies, too. If they are out there purely to hike, and you are dragging out a tripod every 5 minutes for another flower or waterfall, you'll have a major conflict of interest. If they're all bringing 20 lbs of photo gear themselves, then do the same.

Good luck, have fun, be safe.

I love to hike; however, I don't leave without my large format camera and equipment. My camera equipment weight, less film, is 10 pounds 7 ounces. This includes a tripod, three lenses (90, 150, 240), meter, loupe, darkcloth, and filters. If backpacking with LF is possible then surely it's possible with Digital SLR.

Seven years ago I climbed denali with a canon a2. I'm guessing that it's about the same weight as your d30. I took only the stuff that was necessary on that trip. Two lenses, polarizer, 2stop ND grad, and lots of film and batteries. I also had a little clamp that let me use my ice axe as a tripod.

If you're like me, you'll end up with a lot of filters and assorted equipment. The trick to hiking is to know what to take and what to leave at home. My large format backpacking kit has evolved over the past several years. Certainly your digital kit will change as you go on hikes and realize that you never use certain pieces of equipment. I would suggest that you find a different way to carry your gear instead of a pelican case. That would add several pounds to your pack. Do you really need a camera case? I use neoprene lens wraps that I made from an old wetsuit. I also use a padded cell from outdoor research to carry my loupe, meter, filters, and cable release. The monorail can go anywhere and the standards get wrapped in the darkcloth.

My thinking is that the photographer brings out the beauty of the area. I've never seen a beautifing filter. It's all about the photographer composing an image, exposing the film to record all the important information, and then printing the image to convey what he/she felt.

On a side note: where will you be hiking? One of the best hikes I've ever done was the west coast trail (vancouver island). I had perfect weather the entire time. Atlin was also a blast. We started in Juneau and skied to Atlin. Someday I'll make it back and kayak around atlin.

Folks,

Sorry for the double post. I wanted to address some of Stphen H's comments.

I can't imagine not having my 4x5 on a backpacking trip. Hiking and photography are intertwined. However, that said, my photographic mission does change depending on whether I'm alone or with non-photographers. When I hike solo I can take a picture whenever I want. However, when I'm hiking with friends, I have to be aware of their needs to. However, many of my friends refer to themselves as slack packers. THey usually don't leave camp until mid morning and stop hiking mid afternoon. This has always worked perfect as I wake up before sunrise and happily photograph. Then I return to camp, roll up my bivy (yes they have tents, I don't) and hit the trail. Stopping mid-afternoon is also excellent as I can scope out an image or two and be in the right place at sunset.

Safety in the mountains isn't always about moving fast. Sometimes it's knowing enough not to get yourself into a bad situation. Yes bad things can happen in the mountain. I should know, I once graced the pages of AINAM. Knowledge and experience are far better than an extra sweater or leaving a lens behind.