Iraq - film vs digital

I'll be off to Basra shortly, and am wondering what to take. I'm trying to find an excuse not

to have to cart around laptop, camera, batteries, adaptors etc. I usually use film when I'm

abroad. For anyone who's been recently, how is the infrastructure re power and internet? I

know my agency would rather digital so they can sell single pictures as news, rather than

the whole body as a feature.

Anyone have any experience of working with a hard-drive style device, like an iPod, for

storing a month's worth of hi-res pictures?

if it is for personal work, i would take films. if it is for news work, then probably digital has advantages for fast transfer of images. bottom line is that you have to ask your agency to see what they want you to take. good luck.

If you're going to use hard drive based image tanks (or an ipod) I would consider getting two. Copy each flash card to both so you have a backup. A small low-wattage DC-AC power inverter might not be a bad idea either if the local utilities are questionable.

Just some thoughts.

Whatever you take, sand and dust are huge issues in that part of the world, so some kind of bag or cloth to cover everything will be key. Don't leave your idle gear lying around uncovered, the sand and dust will do more damage and WILL find its way into any orifice, and can potentially turn the high tech computer-based-whiz-bang-do-everything into a paperweight fairly quickly. Fortunately, humidity is not an issue.

The only way I know to get digital images onto an iPod is to use the Belkin Media

Reader, which sucks. If someone is you using a different method, do tell. You put

your CF card in the reader which connects to the iPod. I tried it for a while and got rid

of it (kept the iPod, though). The Belkin Media Reader is slow. I mean really slow. Did

I say slow? It took 45 min just to transfer a 1GB card (which was only 3/4 full). By the

time it was done, the battery on the iPod was almost crapped out (which is another

problem onto itself). Do a google search for "iPod" and "Belkin Media Reader", you'll

see I'm not the only one having these problems. If you're going digital, I would

recommend using some other HD/digital wallet solution.

No doubt. I've always admired the war-correspondent-photographers probably because it takes more guts than I could ever muster up. If it were me I'd be thinking about bulletproof clothing and such and probably drop my cameras and dive for cover if someone coughed hard. Some of my cameras look like they've been through a war though!

<i>it looks like Westerners are walking around with a bulleye on their backs.</i>

<p>I don't know if you are aware of this, but the 4 guys who got killed and mutilated last week were military contractors from Blackwater Security Cosulting. In other words, professional soldiers who are paid to fight/train/patrol - apparently the media has decided not to use the old fashioned term "mercenaries" because they work for <b>us</b>.

<p>This does not excuse what happened, but it puts things in a different light. It seems pretty clear that american military/paramilitary/security personnel are the ones who are targetted for the most brutality.

Unfortunately, Steve, non-military/non-paramilitary/non-security foreigners (not just Americans) have clearly been targeted as well, although their bodies haven't been mutilated.

--------------

"It seems pretty clear that american military/paramilitary/security personnel are the ones who are targetted for the most brutality."

Steve Barnett wrote:<br>

<i>Take digital, and email you output to a home base each night. Then should the worst happen, the world will still have, at least, your day before last photo's. But from a personal opinion of doing news and photojournalism, <b>if you have to ask here, you shouldn't be going.</b></i><br>

And from an ex soldiers POV, I can only second that!

<br>

Volker

Why not take both, digital and film? Throwing a rangefinder and a lens or two into your bag isn't going to add a whole lot of weight,and the RF is probably going to be able to withstand the extremes of sand and heat a whole lot better than the electro-digital. I've had SLR's go belly-up in the deserts of Saudi Arabia after only minor dust blew into the shutter release, while RF's stood up to just about everything.

As for being a target, everyone is a target, Western or otherwise. Two Japanese diplomats were stalked and murdered as their car traveled northwest of Baghdad. And bombs know neither nationality nor occupation/intent. In Basra you'll be in a Shi'ite area, so even Iraqi Sunnis will be targets there soon enough. Bottom line, I hope your images are worth the risk. Travel safely.

John,

Things are very nasty right now in Iraq and they may get worse and for a very long time. Unless you really must be there, I would not go there since I have a family to think of. Occupation is almost always a dirty issue with blood and pain. I don't know if I would volunteer to go over to take photos.

Thanks for all the tips. I didn't ask for security advice here, I have contacts in Iraq already.

But thanks anyway. I've never worn a flak jacket while working before, and I don't think I'm

about to start now.

I've worked out it will be cheaper to use film, unless I can sell more than x worth of digital

pictures. That x is a pretty big number, bigger than what I can make selling features. One

day I'll be shooting digital outside Europe, but not yet. Time to dust off the Ms.

"if you have to ask here, you shouldn't be going"

Unusually excellent advice for photo.net. But it sounds like he's

going anyway, so........

"I've never worn a flak jacket while working before, and I don't

think I'm about to start now"

You need to start thinking again (actually you need to start

thinking, full stop). If you can tell me you've comfortably worked in

say Chechnya, East Timor, and Aceh without feeling the need for

any kind of protection then I'll bow to your experienced judgement

- this isn't Israel. You're in the UK, right? Stop being a clown and

pop in to Silvermans (near Mile End Road), they'll kit you out

(including ceramic plates) for half the price of a Leica M7. At least

give yourself the option - if you choose not to wear it, fine, but

don't go without it.

Another good tip would be to read Evelyn Waugh's seminal book on foreign reporting, 'Scoop'. An invaluable read, especially the part about kitting yourself out. I wonder if Silvermans do 'cleft sticks' nowadays? But seriously John, it may make a good read when you are there if humour falls short.

John, I'd really like to know more about why you're going, what you're hoping to achieve etc. Sounds like a cool job you've got there. Too bad you weren't around in the '30s, dodging Nazis and searching for antiquities. ;-)

If you are able to, please let us know about your progress. Do have a safe trip and I hope that you end up with something great.

A photo-journo friend of mine was just there for 5 months with her agency. Took digital and a regular body as back-up. Didn't shoot any film the whole time. The hassle was keeping all the batteries for her Powerbook and sat-phone charged. The last few weeks in the desert toasted her camera and lenses.