Ive been shooting a lot more recently and the film costs are adding

up. I was wondering what people's opinions are on cheap everyday

films. Something that can do everything resonablly well for the

price. I norally like Fuji Reala for 100 speed and Portra UC for

400, these are great films but a little on the expensive side to be

using everyday.

So what do you all use? Presoanlly I was thinking about comparing

Agfa Vista, Imported Kodak Supra or Fuji X-tra 400. All of these

films seem to go for about $2 a roll from places like BandH.

I shoot B&W, so I tend to use FP4+ which is only a little over $2 a roll. The thing is I process it myself. Economizing on lab costs is usually trouble, and a half decent lab will usually be more significant than the film cost.

The two things that people do that are probably okay are getting grey market film and bulk rolls; in both of these situations you get worthwhile film. I don't bother, but maybe this is a path you might find useful.

Hi Graham, as a matter of fact I bulk roll Tri-x and develop it in xtol myself. Although I'm thinkin its probly alomst as cheap just to buy imported rolls instead of going through the headache of rolling it myself.

I was more thinking about 400 speed color films to carry around in my point and shoot.

You can get color film in bulk rolls, though. Conceeded that I can only seem to find Portra 400NC in the speed you want at Adorama right now (which I think is a very nice film, but if what you want is UC or Reala it's not going to do what you need).

Reala isn't that expensive at Adorama, by the way--$2.69. Conceded that 400UC can be pricey. You might check out Press 400 ($2.75); it's more consistent then the consumer stuff (although not quite as nice as NPH). The other films I've heard good things about are Supra 400 (which you can get grey market, but it's almost as much as UC), or HD 400 (as expensive as UC on a per shot basis).

I honestly don't shoot anything other than Reala these days in color negative film, so there's a limited amount of use I can be here.

I use Reala, NPH, and TMAX in my cameras pretty much all the time. I don't get many great shots, but when I do I want to make sure I have good film in there. I use a few different cameras depending on what I feel like, so one 36 exposure roll might have pictures from 2 or 3 different outings...so when I load the film I rarely know for sure what it will be used for. I buy imported film from B&H and don't think the cost/exposure is all that much more then a cheaper roll film. Especially considering I don't burn up a whole lot of film.

Alan

Where are you getting your Reala? From B&H, it costs $2.69 for 36 exposures. At that cost per exposure, a 4x24 pack (like consumer films are sold in at discount stores) would be $7.17. Maybe not incredibly cheap, but not incredibly expensive, either.

To answer your question, my "cheap" film right now is a bunch of NPH that I got for under $1.50 a roll, shipped, on eBay. Can't beat that!

My "cheap, everyday" film is TMY 120, which I get on eBay, recently expired, for about $1.75 per roll in pro-packs. For color, I shoot Portra 400NC, same source, similar price, but I don't shoot it as much because it costs me $10 or more to dev and proof and I don't get into the store where I had it done as much now that I've moved 30 miles away.

The problem I've noticed with the bulk packs, Hans, is that when one buys film through the NY stores the price of a 5 pack of almost anything is invariably 5 * the price of one roll, and ditto for 20 packs. Thus the search for bulk rolls and import film.

<br>

I shoot any E6 film I can find in bulk rolls on eBay for under $20/roll. Lately, I've been shooting a whole bunch of EPJ (ISO 320

tungsten balanced) film with an 82a or 82b filter. The bonus with it is that I can shoot indoors without a flash, without having to change films. I bought five one hundred foot rolls last spring for $11.95/roll... And I still have two in my freezer.

<br><br>

Cheers!<br>

<a href = "http://www.focusphotolabs.com/prod07.htm"><u>Dan Schwartz</u></a><br>