Rodinal - What's it good for?

Do you mean Rodinal? Its an old formula that gives good edge sharpness

but can increase grain in higher speed films. I use it for Delta 100 and FP4

and it works for me. I don't like the results with 400 speed films but i don't use

those too much. It's cheap, lasts a long time in the bottle and is easy to

dilute.ie no hot water or powders.

It's good stuff. I recommend it to students all the time. Depending on the

dilution, it can give very different results. I like to use it at 1:25 for high

contrast, and 1:75 for less contrast or grain. It's very versatile, especially for

120 format films. I have gotten good results in 35mm too, and like to use it with

Ilford HP-5 or AGFAPAN 400 for a documentary look.

Well i have notice that there are some Rodinal bashers hear and there so as a devoted Rodinal user I'd like to just add my 2 cents.

Are there more modern film developers? Yes. Do they work? Yes. Then why still use Rodinal? Because I like the way it works, and I like the way my negatives come out after processing with it. So my advice is buy a small bottle and play with it. If you like it use it if not try some thing else until you find what you like.

I only use liquid developers like HC-110(Kodak) & Rodinal. It so easy to mix, unlike powder developers, it is too much of a hassle and messy. Different dilution give different looks, but I am still in the dark searching and trying hard to get the look I want.

I am looking for very grainy effect with high acutance and high contrast. Can you veterans out there give me some advice pls. I shoot 135, I have Neopan 400, Acros,TX, TMX, TMY, TMZ hybernating in my fridge.

BTW I was wondering how much do you guys pay for a bottle of Rodinal?? Right here in Tokyo I pay about US$8 for a small bottle( 125ml). I can hardly find a big bottle!! How I wish Rodinal will be cheaper here. Over here Fuji's stuff is cheap!!

Good Luck!!

Kit

Hi friends.

Just my two cents about Rodinal. Although it last a long time, it gets darker and it looses developmnet strenght, resulting negatives with less contrast. I posted some time ago some tests here confirming that. So, I always put some marbles on Rodinal bottle and now It actually lasts forever.

Ramiro (Spain)

I'll toss in my two cents for rodinal. I like it with APX 100, 1:25, for 8 minutes at 68 degrees. I have been getting some nice images in diffused light that way...but diffused overcast light always seems to help doesn't it?

One warning though, don't over agitate it. I do two inversions ever thirty seconds and get perfect negs.

Patrick

What is it <a href="http://www.luxcamera.co.uk/port-b%F4t.htm" > good </a> for?

<p>

I think I tend to see rodinal as more of a fine art photographer's basic stock. With ultra-slow film, such as tech pan (ISO 25) right up to medium speeds (ISO 125) it is my preferred universal developper.

<p>

It has beautiful acutance and tonality at most dilutions and a characteristic silver halide grain which stands heads and shoulders above the pixellated crap pretending to be photography.

<p>

£0 6 pence (pre-decimal currency)

Bob Haight wrote: <I>I just read on the RUG, that Rodinal DID last forever in the glass bottles, but now only lasts about 2 years in the plastic.</I><BR><BR>

The Rodinal in a plastic bottle I bought for five-six years ago still works fine. But I think I will pour the stuff into smaller glass bottles next time I buy Rodinal.