TMAX 100 @ EI 50 in TMAX Developer or D76

How many minutes in a good ol' Patterson tank? I shot some rolls

using a tripod to experiment with getting lower grain from a TMX

negative, and I'm looking for a recommended time to start my

experimentation.

I've searched the archives extensively (and Massiv Dev Chart), and

found some times for some other 100 speed films @ 50 in other

developers (XTOL, etc.) -- but no specific recommended time for TMX@50

in TMAX Devel or D76 (that's all I have on hand for now).

These negatives will be scanned for evaluation here at home before any

printing. I'm still outsourcing my printing to a local lab.

These are all outdoor shots on a rather cloudy day with either a red

or a medium yellow filter, so typical shot contrast shouldn't present

any challenges - if that matters.

BTW, do I need to adjust my fixing times at all? I usually fix for 6

minutes using Kodafix hardening fixer.

Thanks! I'll report back on how it goes after I process the negs.

Scott

Dear Scott,

Although I have no experience whatsoever with the T-MAX dev, I've been using D-76 for nearly 30 years, and even though recently I've switched to the 'H' version (without hydroquinon), I still have tons of notes on dev time with the classic version and various films. I've always been in a habit of noting the result of every single neg development I do and over all these years I've found it really bemeficial.

O.K., back to the topic. I develop T-MAX 100 in D-76 1 + 3, @24 deg. C., and my time is 10.5 min. This roughly corresponds to 1 + 1 dilution at 20 deg. C for 7 mins. (A horrifically short time compared to the official KODAK leaflet). I rate the film 64 ASA, so very close to the speed you are aiming at.

FYI, I shoot exclusively on 35 mm films, use a condenser enlarger, and like 'moderately' thin negatives (I realise it is not a scientifically precise term). You may wish to try the quoted times as a starting point for your experimentation, but please remember that most such results are NOT directly transferable. There are simply too many variables involved, as it has been pointed out many times in different threads of this respectable forum. Good luck! T.K.

I've used Tmax-100 for years. The new Tmax has changed things a little. Develop in TMax RS, diluted 1:9, at 75 degrees for 8 minutes. Agitate at first for 30 seconds, then ten seconds each minute. Tmax100 is unforgiving on time and temperature, but is worth the extra attention. I live in the desert, and the 75 degrees works well here (near Phoenix, AZ).