Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce or Lumiquest UltraBounce - ???

bellavance

I have not tried both and there probably are not many who have. I use the Lumiquest myself.

Since they both perform essentially the same function (diffuse light over a very large area) my decision was based solely on ease of use. In my mind the Lumiquest won for a couple of reasons.

First - when not is use it folds flat and is easier to store. The Sto-Fen unit is molded and is much bulkier in your camera bag.

Second - Because the Sto-Fen unit is molded there are individual products for different flash units. The Lumiquest attaches with velcro strips. I've used mine on Canon's 380EX, 420EX and 550EX. I would have had to buy 3 different Sto-Fen's if I had gone that route.

Third - If you're using any other Lumiquest products (i.e. Big Bounce, etc.) the velcro strips will prevent the Sto-Fen from fitting on the flash. That's not a issue using the Ultra Bounce.

If you're willing to accept the downside issues with the Omni-Bounce one advantage it has is that it's faster to install since it just slips on versus having to fool around with the velcro, but for me that was not sufficient to offset what I see as the shortcomings.

My opinion and I'm sure there will be opposing views.

Dick

I only have the OmniBounce, and I think Dick's comment is likely true: probably few people have both.

I chose the OmniBounce over the UltraBounce, because I only have one flash unit (the 420EX), and I didn't warm to the idea of applying velcro to it.

Although Dick's correct that the OmniBounce is molded and won't fold flat, I'll disagree that it's more difficult to store or takes up more room in your bag, because I just keep it installed on my flash head in the bag. If I pull the flash out to use and DON'T want to use the OmniBounce, I just pop it off and toss it back into the bag, and reinstall it before stowing the flash.

Whichever you buy, I think you'll find it's a great tool in the proper circumstances. Hope this helps.

Pierre, if the Lumiquest is the folding model that attaches with velcro then that's what I currently use with Canon flash units. It works fine.

Up until a year or so ago I was a life-long Nikon user, and then I use a Sto-Fen (if that's the moulded plastic one that clips over the flash unit). I think the Sto-Fen's the better unit, the results are fairly similar (I couldn't tell from looking at most prints which was used, unless it's close enough to scrutinise the highlights in an eye) but the Sto-Fen's just so much faster to use.

I have both and the quality of light is very similar (I will post some pix later, I have to look for them). I would like to know what you are trying to achieve, if you don't mind. It may be that there are other possbilities as well.

As far as the speed of use it takes the same amount of time to put either on a 420EX. The Stofen is quite tight and you have to be careful when you put it on and make sure you hold the fhe flash *head* so as not to put strain on the pivot mechanism. The Lumiquest just requires a quick velcroing of each of the flaps. Either one is fine.

If you keep the Stofen on the flash at all time storage is not an issue but, if you don't it will be more space consuming than the folding Lumiquest, of course.

Thanks to all who responded. This was very useful.

For outside portraits and where there's no ceiling, I'm thinking of getting Lumiquest's Pocket Bouncer. Velcros are not a problem since I would use Lumiquest's Cinch Strap which would allow me to remove the Velcros from my flash.

To Giampiero,

I would use the Omni-Bounce or UltraBounce for portraits inside the house. It's simpler and faster to setup and use than Lumiquest's ProMax system, especially when using the frosted diffusion screen.

It's probably not as good as ProMax for eliminating shadows and softening the light, though.

I will wait for your pictures.

Thanks again.

Pierre

I have used both and prefer the sto-fen dome. It gives a softer more diffused light, is small and can be left on all the time, unlike the pocket bouncer. It's also perfect for holding a roscolux gel sample over the flash head. The lumiquest devices spread out the light, but don't soften and diffuse it quite as nicely.

Given the cost of your equipment (like $1,500 for the 10D), owning both these devices is quite cheap. I have both, but like the Sto-Fen better since its a much smaller contraption hanging on my rig than the Lumiquest thing, and its easier to shoot verticles using ceiling bounce (don't have a flip bracket). Actually, an index card and a rubber band also works quite nicely and cost about $0.05.

If you have both, you can decide which works better for you.

AH-If you are looking for portraits (mainly) I would then suggest a Luniquest Soffbox. I have just posted a pix taken with it and a 550EX here: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=007SR3

The Stofen and Omnibounce and mainly intended for "flat" uniform (360 degree-like) lighting. this is great for groups and/or news reporters but, I personally do not like it for portraits. The Soffbox will allow you to direct the light more precisely (you can use your flash off camera) while at the same time softening the shadows very effectively.

Pierre,

I have both and have used both - neither will give you as good a result as bouncing off a white or neutral ceiling or wall. Softness of light depends on the size/area of the light source, which is why umbrellas and soft-boxes are used in studios. All the Omni-bounce does (when used as suggested) is scatter some more light around the room (and reduce the output of your flash). In reality, the pocket bouncer only increases the area of the light source slightly. I've started keeping a white, folding foam-board in my car and set the 420EX up with the foam board as a slave to one side for impromptu "sittings." In this situation, the 550EX stays on the camera with a much-reduced output for a little shadow fill and a catch-light in the eyes. I realize this isn't practical in many situations, but you did say you were shooting indoors... back to the white ceiling or wall.

Pierre: Yes, I think the Soffbox is better than their Promax system for portraits. Its quality of light is closer to a Studio soft box (though of course much smaller). It's very easy to install and folds flat. You can fit it in your pocket or you camera bag without problems.