Can the lip of a Delta Commercial sink be trimmed?

keithdunlop

I am in the process of obtaining a darkroom sink to replace the

cramped bathroom counter I have been working on, and have settled on

the Delta 5' Commercial sink, mostly because it's the only 5 foot

model I can find.

Here's my problem. The space the sink has to fit into is exactly 59

1/4" wide. The outside dimensions of the 5' sink are 60 1/4" x 27

1/4". I need to trim a minimum of 1/2" from each side to get it to

fit, and it appears from a drawing I located that the lips are 1 1/2"

on all sides which should provide enough material to trim. I'm going

to craft my own stand out of finished 2x4's.

So, can anyone who has this sink confirm that there is enough lip to

trim, and can it be cut easily with a small circular saw?

I have one of their 4-foot ABS sinks. It would be no problem to cut 1/2" off the flange, but the outer edge of the flange turns down in a lip that is the actual bearing surface for the sink, so you'd lose some support. It's probably rigid enough to work without it, but it's not ideal.

ABS is tough, but it's only plastic. Any fine-toothed saw blade should make quick work of it.

Frank,

"Wait a minute here. You're going to make your own stand for this sink, right? Is the space so tight that you can't enlarge your support opening by 1" so you won't need to cut the sink? Maybe you could trim the 2x4's a bit to make it all fit. Try some alteratives before you go cutting up the sink."

The issue is not the size of the support, it's the space between the walls. The sink is going into an area in the bathroom where the distance between the wallboard is slightly less than 60". The outer dimension of the Delta 5' sink on the long end is 60.25". There currently exists a cabinet with a counter and basin that was installed to fit the space when the house was built. I'm pulling out the entire cabinet and basin, but the walls are permanent. There are no other suitable places in the bathroom for the new sink, so I have to make it fit. It appears that I will be able to trim the ends as I need to, with plenty of lip area in front and back to provide support.

I have a 96" Delta ABS sink with the steel stand. I would be reluctant to trim it because you will have no support for the weight of anything inside the sink. It would be difficult to support from below I think because the shape is irregular. I would get a 4 foot sink or else make a plywood/fiberglass sink if you are handy.