Value of Canon F1 cameras & FD lenses

dan_patrick

I'm about to take the digital plunge and will be selling my Canon

F1/FD lens system, which was used professionally for about two years

in the mid-'70s and only sporadically since then. I have no idea of

the value now and am hoping for some guidance here.

Generally, the equipment is in excellent working order, though not in

"glass case" condition cosmetically. One body has had CLA, as has the

300mm 2.8 lens. They are perfect. The other body works perfectly,

but the meter isn't functioning - and I'm not going to spend any more

on the system. All lenses are perfect, with one exception. My

alltime favorite 24mm 1.4 Asperical seems to have some separation

between two elements (or some internal coating degradation?).

Undoubtedly, that has an optical effect, but honestly, I haven't

noticed it in the slides and negative film I've shot recently. Still

looks sharp as a tack to me. As is the spectacular 2.8 300. If it

were possible, I'd keep the lenses for digital use without hesitation,

but it's not, due to the breech lock system. Damn.

Any help with assigning values or advice as to how and where I might

try to sell this system would be much appreciated. Here's what I have.

Black Canon F1, perfect operating order, recent CLA, cosmetically

"used," some brass showing

Motor drive, perfect operating order

Canon body cap

Black Canon F1, good operating order except for meter, cosmetically

"used," some brass showing

Motor drive, perfect operating order

Canon body cap

Sport Finder, perfect operating order and cosmetically perfect (hardly

ever used)

FD 50mm 1.4 S.S.C. w/shade & caps

FD 100mm 2.8 S.S.C. w/shade & caps

FD 24mm 1.4 S.S.C. Aspherical w/caps

FD 300 mm 2.8 S.S.C. Flourite w/case, filters, extender & caps

Thanks very much, Dan

<< Any help with assigning values or advice as to how and where I might try to sell this system would be much appreciated. >>

keh.com has an online form that can give you an approximate value of your equipment. The final value is determined after you send them the equipment and they examine it. (If you were looking to sell to them, of course)

You can check prices on eBay as well. I just sold my 300/2.8 SSC on eBay. Here are some typicals:

50mm - $50-75

100mm - $50-100

24mm (even rough) - $400-600 maybe more because SSC version

300mm - $900-1200

Won't even guess at F1 prices they are all over the board and depend upon which version. Good luck!

You'd be WISE to bypass the miniscule offer you'd receive from a National Dealer and simply put these items on ebay for a buck to start and no reserve. The 24mm 1.4SSC "aspherical" routinely hits a $1,000 if is 8+ or better. Only collectors pay that kind of money, not dealers. People just love the buck~to~start&no~reserve Canon FD auctions at ebay.

Good Luck! Lindy

I would not make decisions based on current ebay proces or similar online sites. The value of a camera and a lens depend on how you view them. To me, the feel of a camera is as important as the performance. I want both to be excellent. I don't care about "threats" that all film-based camera equipment is junk and should be thrown away at ridiculous loss.

Many FD lenses are beautifully made and very sharp. Many Canon FD camera bodies are beautifully made and are great photo takers.

Specifically to Raid W. Amin - I couldn't agree with you more. I own an extensive line of FD equipment, most have been recently refurbished and I will put my images up to any $3,000 digital, any day. Yes, it would be nice to have TTL, faster synch and auto-everything from time-to-time but if you really understand the fundamentals you don't need any of that stuff. Most of my equipment is 25 to 30 years old and I shoot a couple of hundred rolls a year. They're just as dependable as the day they were new. I wonder where all of today's electronic, digital cameras will be in 25 to 30 years. I already told my family that when I die, bury me with my FTb because I never go anywhere without my camera.

Thanks so much for your help, all of you. Some really helpful answers. I must say, I'm really conflicted about selling my Canons, particularly my two absolute favorite lenses, the 1.4 24mm and the 2.8 300mm. I only wish they had different mounts, as I'll probably never be able to afford replacing them with current models of the same glass. I'm tempted to keep just one body for those two lenses. I don't know. While I've gone around the world and done some good work with the F1s, they're really heavy - much more so than when I was 25 years younger! It's a puzzlement. Regards, Dan

If it's just the weight of the old brass F-1 that gets you down, consider this: you could keep the FD lenses, or some of them, and get a lightweight body like a T70 to use with them. That would leave you free to sell the F-1 bodies, drives, and finders.

The T70 is plasticky and very electronic, and some folks don't like that, but the one time I borrowed one, I found it a real pleasure to use-- very intuitive, and seemed weightless compared to my F-1s. There were a lot of them sold in the 1980s, and they typically sell used for $100 with lens, or more for a particularly choice specimen. This is an insane bargain.

I have had my F-1 since mid 70's and, even though I hardly use it, can't bear to part with it. It's been extremely reliable and still takes great pictures. The FD lens are fantastic. I'm so used to a manual SLR, I find myself using the manual mode a lot on my dRebel (but I wish the aperture setting was on the lens!!). :)

No, Raid,

Actually, I have an M4 and an M2 with a 21 Super Angulon and a Sumilux 35 that I'm also deciding whether to keep. If I do sell the Canons (likely), I'll try to get cash. But I certainly understand coveting the 24mm. It and the 2.8 300 are just incredible glass. Regards, Dan

A further addendum to my original post. I gave in and took the 1.4 24mm Aspherical in to a highly respected shop. The problem is just some lubricant that's migrated to the rear element. It's being fixed now (about $85) and after CLA will be perfect again for whoever ends up with it. Dan