slide film for print?

You'll get varying answers about how well negative film and slide film reproduce, but there's no question that you can get good prints from slides. Start by going to a good Frontier lab. It's worthwhile to compare prints from slides, negs, different films, and really get a feel for the differences. Good luck.

Do you mean, �Can I achieve prints from slides?� Yes you can. If you meant literally, to print to normal paper, you could, but it would look really weird, as in positive to positive. As mentioned above, The Frontier with a good operator is great for even just bringing in your slides and having a print made. If you are comfortable with scanning and adjusting your images, you might even get more favorable results. Some argue that there is no difference between c-41 and e-6 outputs with the frontier, but I have found that the only difference is the different characteristics of the film themselves that provide different results. Velvia 50 printed through a Frontier looks different than say Reala.

Printing chromes/slides is different from printing negs. It uses expensive

Cibachrome paper and they are mostly in glossy. I believe you can print chromes/

slides on regular RA paper but you'll get a negative image and vice versa. Also,

printing chromes is different from printing negs. For chromes, the more time you

add to the paper, the lighter it gets.

I shoot Velvia 50 through my EOS 3 and scan the keepers, burn the resulting TIFF files to CD and print through my inkjet printer- the ultimate in image control! I shoot more slide film now than I ever did because making prints are now so much easier. The CD can also be taken to a lab and traditional prints could be made.

Just so Marshall Goff doesn't feel let down, I'm going to ask why

you want to use slide film. If what you want is to print all your

shots to 6" x 4" or thereabouts than I think you'll get better results

from a Frontier or similar from print film. It's going to vary

operator by operator but mostly you'll do better from print film. If

you're scanning and printing at home then it's still likely that for

volume work print film will be better.

If what you're doing is picking out a small proportion of your

images and want to have these printed large and/or to a very

high standard then I can see a logic for slide film - and in fact

that's exactly what I do. But I'd hate to pay for what I do for

thousands of images a year.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry for the somewhat stupid questions guys - I'm very new to photography and this page.

What are the advantages of slide film? They look better? Phillips page talks a lot about control, etc. but right now I'm looking for information even more basic than that. My understanding was this:

Use negative film for basic, all-around shooting. Have prints made, enlarged if you wish, and enjoy.

Use slide film for more intricate, more "planned" (or generally more "professional") photography (like a landscape or a portrait I plan on hanging up), and have them printed as well.

I know slides obviously can be made into slides, but I don't see myself using those at all to be honest. What don't I know? Are slide prints very expensive? I'm sorry for all the silly questions.