OT "Fine Art" Digital.

david k.

Attended an opening of "Fine Art" photography last night.

The photographer, Michael Reichmann of the well known Luminous

Landscape website.

There were 24 largish (typically 20"x30") prints of his most recent

work. There was no technical information, but I assume all would have

been done with a Canon 1Ds or better (medium format digital backs

seem to be his preferred medium these days).

Most of the images are available somewhere on his website, but seeing

the prints first hand was what it was all about.

My impressions, many of the "images" did not look like photographs,

taken out of the context of a photographic exhibition, and exhibited

seperately, one would be hard pressed to identify them as

photography. The colours, textures, and feel of the images were very

different to film based photographs. Approached a different way, only

a few of the 24 images looked remotely like film photographs.

So, you had a handfull of images that were more graphic art than

photographs, about an equal number of images that were film looking,

and the majority somewhere in between, all good looking images but

just how manipulated were they?

On a technical level these images were not in the same ballpark as

prints I have seen from Charles Kramer who works with 4X5

transparencies, has them drum scanned and digitally printed.

One thing I was quite surprised at was that the Reichmann's images

showed obvious dodging. I would have thought PS would be seamless for

that type of manipulation, but it was easily detected.

To conclude, can digital be "Fine Art Photography" ? I would say B&W

traditional photography has the history and will always have value.

As for digital, I think it is going to be a while before I figure out

where it fits in.

<i> Attended an opening of "Fine Art" photography ... exhibited seperately, one would be

hard pressed to identify them as photography. ... only a few of the 24 images looked

remotely like film photographs. So, you had a handfull of images that were more graphic

art than photographs... Reichmann's images showed obvious dodging. I would have

thought PS would be seamless for that type of manipulation, but it was easily detected. To

conclude, can digital be "Fine Art Photography" ? </i><p>

Assuming that your insightsts about the images are correct, after making clear that

Reichmann was going for a less naturalistic, more graphic-art look, why judge them in

terms of 4x5 landscapes you're familiar with, or assume that he didn't want the

manipulation to be obvious?

FWIW, I always think that MR's pictures on his Luminous Landscape website look like graphic art/poster "art" (and not like photographs). Me, I'd rather have a (hopefully interesting/well-executed) painting or a (hopefully interesting/well-executed) photograph - these hybrids are an unhappy compromise to my mind, which remind me of 1980's Athena poster art.

Despite people getting so prickly about pretentiousness, I would have thought it obvious that there is room for some degree of self-expression even in so lowly a form as photography. I agree with your last sentence: I haven't yet seen any digital stills work that makes a virtue out of the "look" of digital - to me digital has so far remained a poor cousin to film photography, carried along on over-hype from the corporations and magazines. (which, of course, means that it will become the de facto standard, whether I like it or not.)

p.s. I like the idea that the dodging might be deliberately obvious - like Manet's woman at the bar looking out at the viewer - "I am a fiction - you are looking at me etc.!) Very plausible. Let's give him an honorary degree just in case.

Just a minute, maybe Alfie was a genius too...

Jake Tauber , feb 20, 2004; 10:41 a.m.

Hans,

<i>Do you have some sort of automated software? So, whenever it sees "art" & "photography" in the same sentence it repeatedly spits out your nonsense?</i><p>

The nonsense is spit out by those who claim photography is art. Every time someone claims it, I deny it.

"Fine art" usually refers to art for art's sake - gallery work and the like. You

also have the "graphic arts," where the art serves another purpose (graphic

design/page layout, for instance) rather than simply being a thing unto itself.

(And, of course, the many things that cross over these lines, and architecture/

furniture design, which aren't either of the above, etc. etc.)

"To conclude, can digital be "Fine Art Photography"?

No, but it could very well be "fine-art digitography". It seems that digital is so essentially divergent from traditional photography that it necessitates a different category or designation. It is likely that ANYTHING done by an artist could be an expression of art, regardless of means or medium. In the same sense, donning a beret and smock and dabbing oils on a canvas does not guarantee anything more *artistic* than an evocative, expressive, work in a less traditional or familiar medium. I believe that art has more to do with spirit, vision, and intent, than a condition defined by medium or degree of actual "hands on" physical engagement (a la Beckert's non-metaphysical prerequisite).

not to be critical of Michael's images, but for someone who stands tall upon the edifice of digital high-resolution and optical purity, he has become enamoured with Photoshop diffusion, compression, sharpening, cropping, and a suite of post-process data deleting operations. it is an irony that makes for entertainment and is a welcomed relief from those resolution shots of high-rise window frames and brick walls.

as far as categorization, it is what it is. garner your opinions and move on.

Interesting observations. MR also does a good deal of what I would call rather gratuitous manipulation (cloning to remove electric wires) etc. which is not my philosophy: but we are all different. He is a man with a lot of money and a lot of equipment. I like his site, if only to see what new system he will buy next week.
Robin Smith

Surely photography is simply Photography and not Art!

Photography was invented to show what something looked like at a particular moment in time. This is what photography does well. Art is judged by values different to photography. The purpose of photography is simply show what something looks like. If you 'get' more out of it, great. You might want photography to be a 'mirror' of what is in your soul, but photography is simply a window onto a world selected by the photographer.

Fine Art photography is Art using photography to carry out a purpose for which photography was not invented i.e for creating aesthetically pleasing works. Artists such as Cindy Sherman use photography to create artistic statements, not photographs. Lets not burden photography with all this analysis. Photographs show what something looked like at a particular instant in time. Photography is Photography and Art is something different

"He is a man with a lot of money and a lot of equipment. I like his site, if only to see what new system he will buy next week."

Amen to that. This guy must have an equipment cage that rivals most large studios. I go to his site many times to check links and articles, but I find his images to be too safe for me, like he shoots the same stuff over and over again, but then again, this could be only the stuff he is posting to his site. The one shot I did like from his site is the one he has on his M6 review page of the little boy in black and white. But, it is just my opinion.

Naw, I hate to admit it, hell, I *really* hate to admit it, but I've got to say that Hans has a point.

The trouble is, as soon as you say something is art, all the pseuds crawl out of the woodwork and before you know it the whole thing's gone to hell in a handcart. They tell you what's 'good' and what's 'bad', what's 'in' and what's 'out'.....

The great thing about photography is that it's all things to all people and long may it continue that way.