Average rating of photos in PN

chiranjeeb

During the last 30 days, it was 5.18 for Aesthetics and 5.10 for Originality. On a 1-7 scale one might want 4 to be the average, assuming everybody rated all photos. However, for various reasons people tend not to rate photos that they would be obliged to rate low and that biases the average on the high side. Another bias is that very high ratings are not considered as abusive as very low ratings. People tend to complain about low ratings and somebody who rates uniformly low will probably be dealt with by the moderators, whereas the same is not as true of somebody who rates uniformly high.

The average has declined a little in the past few months, after a long period of steady inflation.

Shouldn't the ratings be normalised since now people would think their average photo is actually good, or better than average?

Brian, have you ever calculated the correlation between the ratings that a person gives, and the ones he or she receives? From the experience I have of photo.net ratings morale, I would think that there is a nontrivial correlation between these two, which basically invalidates the value of the ratings in my opinion.

Is there any way to remove all my ratings?

Ilkka, I don't know of any way to remove your photos although there may be one. You could just delete your photos (and all of the info with it) one at a time and replace them. You wouldn't have to do it all at one sitting. Since there is no general gallery now and if you didn't request a critique not many people would see them.