Street Photogs who use Medium Format

ray .

<p><i>"Diane Arbus used medium format cameras exclusively."</i><p>

Actually, Ellis, although yes, Arbus was mainly known for her Rollei TLR work, she did indeed use a Nikon for a spell too. The recent show at the SFMOMA had both her Rollei and her Nikon on display under glass.

I tend to agree with Lucas--street photography has less to do with the camera and its size and more to do with the attitude of the shooter. In the late 50s, when I started in photojournalism, most of us working for the dailies used TLRs. Now, after almost 40 years of working with Leica rangefinders, I find the 10D no impediment at all to shooting on the street. The Canon "beast" is just heavier--with the vertical grip, a lot heavier. Here's a recent image. (16-35mm 2.8L)<div>007mGy-17186484.jpg.9a079063697771a86f80e3aaf447d954.jpg</div>

</a>I occassionally use a Mamiya 6 for street work -- (though I don't have a lot of

examples up on my website right now). The Mamiya 6 is a nice, relatively small

camera. With only twelve shots a roll, it makes you slow down a bit and think about

what you're shooting.<p>

I believe Mexican photographer Maya Goded uses medium format for a lot of her

work. You can see her work at Magnum Photos website.

I'm experimenting with using Mamiya 7 and Pentax 645 systems in street work. Two problems with the Mamiya was the difficulty in using the 150mm lens and difficulty in switching lenses. So I went to two Mamiya 7s, with a 50 on one and an 80 on the other, each in a separate bag. Since it's a leaf shutter camera, the 7 has a curtain mechanism that must be activated each time you change lenses, and de-activated after you've changed the lens. Thus an extra two mechanical steps are added to every lens change. By completely avoiding the need to switch lenses on the 7, I found the going much easier.

With the Pentax 645, it was simple transition from 35mm slr photography, just bigger. Usually the increased size and noise are no problem in a big-city environment. Again, keeping to a simple 2-3 lens system helps. With both systems, it's wise to shoot only 220 film, although the P645 can be reloaded quickly with pre-loaded inserts.

Well, I'm with you here, Ray. Although a small format is obviously lighter, often a bit more convenient, and sometimes more silent than a medium format, I've taken quite a number of "street" photos that look rather posed or half posed - although they aren't - using my Mamiya 645 1000S, generally with a 35mm lens or an 80mm lens. I believe this Mamiya is really ideal for street photography, and you certainly can see the difference in terms of sharpness when it comes to large prints - so it's basically worth it. The Mamiya 645 is not as noisy as a 6x7 or a Hassy, and is also much lighter than most medium format cameras. The fact that you can view from the top is also a great advantage imo, at least in countries where medium format in the street is rare, because most people have no idea where you camera is actually pointed to nor what you are taking a picture of. Long ago I also used a twin lens Rollei, which was light as well, but less convenient for quick reactions. I'd say that the Mamiya 645 allows me to be about as fast as with my Nikon, eventhough my Nikon is AF. Another good news is that this Mamiya is an old camera, which you can still find at a very good price as 2nd or 3rd hand, and it takes only a couple of weeks to get used to it and to become "quick" with it. I've always wondered why there weren't more people using such cameras for street photography. Well worth a try imo. The only negative side being that your roll ends after 15 shots, and that the films are more costly.