I want to take a dozen shots but I have only 2 film holders

erikj

I just got my 4x5 kit and I have 2 film holders. What do people do after the film is

exposed??? I know this is a lame question, but I have no experience with LF cameras. I

know I can just leave them in the holders, but I want to reuse the holders. Do I have to

get 10 holders if I want to take 20 shots?

Thanks.

Get a device called a changing bag. It's like a field darkroom, a lightproof rubberized

cloth bag with elastic sleeves for your hands and a double zipper to seal it up tight.

Put your filmholders and box of film in the bag and zip it up, insert your arms in the

sleeves and then you can load and unload the filmholders in daylight. It gets easier

with practice.

Ditto to all of the above; plus, if you have a lab which will be developing your film, ask if they can give you an empty sheet film box that you can place your "exposed" film in. It is best not to "mix and match" exposed film in the same film box. Also remember what type of film etc. is in the "exposed" film box. Happy Shooting!

readyload/quick load if you do not like dust spots on your negs. then you can do 40 shots in a day.. but it will COST YOU.. start with the 2 and call it good for a while untill you v found a good lab, the right kind of film, before you start shooting up the neighborhood.. its expensive and you dont need a lot of duplicates of your mistakes.. my opinion only.. 4x5 is not about taking a bunch of shots , its about taking one GOOD shot.. if you get one good 4x5 a year youl be ahead of a lot of photograpers.. (Most dont shoot 4x5,,, hahaah..) thats to tonedown the hecklers.. realistically get some good shots.. ive driven to on spot across town to a parking lot to take a shot of the cathedral in my town many times.... it had to be at the right itme of day, the right time of year and i wanted no cars in the parking lot.. i finally got my shot.. but to me if you want a good shot youl have to work at it not wasee alot of film.... i think 4 shots will be fine for a while.. dave..

Thanks, I thought those might be your answers. If I take a road trip and bring the 4x5, I will want to take more than 4 shots. I guess I will have to decide between more holders or the quickload film.

Andre... what are you TALKING about???

Get some good condition used holders. Go for well known brand names such as Fidelity or Riteway.

I bought some cheaper brand called Tiltall (or something like that). They were half the price of the better known brands new. They suck; very hard to load compared to Riteway or Fidelity.

Always test used holders; you don't want to be surprised.

If you have a total of five film holders you can load a box of ten sheets at once and then when you have shot all the film you will have an empty box to put it in. Repeat as necessary. One draw back is that when you buy in 10 sheet boxes it is slightly more expensive than if you buy in 50 sheet boxes.

Another temporary storage option for exposed film, if you don't have immediate access to used film boxes (for instance, if you do your own processing and/or don't live near a lab that handles sheet film):

Black ABS pipe

The nominal 1 1/2" size ABS pipe will neatly hold a 4x5 sheet with the short dimension curled around (emulsion in, please), and is light tight with adhesive type interference fit caps pressed snugly on each end -- the caps can be removed easily with a twist, but won't slip off unless you drop the tube (and probably not even then), though you might prefer to glue one cap on each tube. Five dollars will buy ten feet of pipe (which cuts easily with a handsaw, coping saw, hacksaw, etc. -- use a $4 miter box to get a nice even cut), and the caps are around a dollar each; each such tube (five inches of pipe and two caps) weighs only a couple ounces. You still have to change film in the field, and it might not be worth bothering for a 4x5 camera using ANSI holders, but if (like me) you use an antique camera with properietary holders that are much less common than the Zeiss or Voigtlander type, it can allow you to expose (in my case) more than three frames on an outing.

I'm still working on a convenient method of storing loaded film sheaths for these old plate holders -- I have (if I counted correctly) seventeen sheaths for the three holders, due to a lucky find on eBay, and it would be quicker to change sheaths than to load film into the sheaths, but the sheaths can't be stored in a tube. Those tin boxes that had cookies in them last Christmas might not wind up as pinhole cameras after all...

I have been shooting polaroids for my first few shots. I went to load some film

yesterday and it it a total nuisance. I am considering going with the quickload film

exclusively. It reminds me of loading those spools for processing film. I am sure I got

finger prints or dust or something on the film too.

Buy the film holders, preferably new. They slide better and don't have leaks. Changing film on site outside can lead to dust, dust and perhaps more dust. (not to worry it always settles in the sky in the middle). It just seems to me with the effort involved in LF in the field this is one issue easily resolved in favor of a sufficient number of film holders.

"Erik, don't be afraid of cut film holders. After about 20 sheets you will be an old pro."

I second this. Loading quality film holders and Grafmatics isn't very difficult with a little practice. It's much easier in the darkroom, than in a changing bag, but it's still easier than many other aspects of LF photography.