Most useful filter for B/W?

Peter has a point.

The use of filters in B&W is to correct for the spectrum differences.

For many the choices would be:

Yellow - it allows for clouds to be rendered the way your eye sees it when shooting B&W

Green - lightens foliage, and said to help with flesh tones

Red - makes the difference between sky and clouds even more dramatic

David this is really an impossible question as we do not know what type of

photography you are into or asking about or what climate you inhabit or where you

intend to go. Or are you just running a survey of forum prefernces?

Regardless, here are my B+W filter picks of the day

Medium Yellow, (of cause) �.for general and landscape work to add tone to blue skys

and to bring out cloud textures, and also good for overcast days to add some

contrast to shadows.

Yellow/green or medium green filter �. to bring out texture in general foliage and

jungles etc.

Orange� for stronger effects than medium yellow

Some love the strong effects of a red filter but the effect given often looks over done

if not used judiciously.

Light Blue�.to enhance skin tones in portrait and most important for B+W nude

work. And for use under tungsten light.

I hope this is the sort of thing you were after.

Cheers, Craig

Over the years I've picked up lots of filters, mostly used, but about the only one I think I've actually used in at least 10 years is the medium yellow. I guess if I shot more scenics I'd use them more. The polarizing filter is also very useful but it's a royal pain to use on a rangefinder camera.

1. A light yellow with 1/2 stop filter factor, or else a medium yellow (K2), with a one-stop factor (equivalent of wratten #8); when I need one filter to do it all, not having to waste time changing filters. This is my general-purpose correction filter.

2. A stronger yellow, equivalent to wratten #9. Also known as the K3 cloud filter. I only use it for darkening skies, for strong contrast with clouds.

3. A light orange filter, but on rare occasions. Same purpose as #2. I may bring just one or the other, to simplify things.

I've been avoiding red, as I think pictures shot with it often look over-filtered.

I'm going to try using a yellow-green as a general purpose correction filter; but I can't say I'm advocating them, since I haven't tried it yet.

Under gray skies, all filters come off, as a rule.

"i read somewhere that a red filter plus a polarizer will give you black sky. can somebody confirm this . . ."

Yes. It can easily make the sky black, or nearly so. With a contrasty light, it can be used for what filmmakers call "day for night." That is, a night scene that is shot, for reasons of convenience and scheduling, in the daytime. A little underexposure augments the effect.